Neon Tetra Behavior

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Greekinese, Apr 24, 2019.

1. GreekineseNew MemberMember

Hi all, new here. Been lurking and learning from the community. I'm setting up a 23 gallon planted tank. Right now I have 2 bristlenose plecos and 10 neon tetras. They're pretty new, just got them over the weekend (few days ago). I'm noticing some bullying and fighting but I guess that's normal.

I notices them up at the surface sucking air, and found a post that clued me to an oxygenation problem. My filter outflow was submerged so there wasn't much agitation. I lowered the water level and put some clean water in. Ordered a bubbled and put that in. The tetras are hanging around the bottom now, phew!

Temperature is at 78 (yes, betta plans) and water is good. Have a look at the video, should I be worried about that one swimming up like that?

Also, need to put some snails or shrimp in there, the plecos aren't doing the best janitorial job hehe.

2. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I don't see anything wrong with the neon tetra, maybe it's swimming into some current, that's what it looks like. They look pretty happy to me.

Plecos shouldn't really be seen as cleaner fish anyway. Snails and shrimp are a little better at doing that naturally. Nerite snails are pretty cool imo.

3. GreekineseNew MemberMember

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know. I already had one casualty, so I'm trying to avoid more. The one that died looked like it was having trouble keeping up from the beginning though. It's interesting watching them, some stay in a group and some keep to themselves. Maybe over time they will figure out their hierarchy.

Nerite snails are nice, especially the red racer type. I'm looking to add mystery snails since they lay eggs above the water line, it'll be easier to manage. I don't need MTS or Ramshorn reproducing out of control hehe. Not sure about shrimp, I'm worried they'll get eaten...

4. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure if plecos would predate on shrimp neither... otherwise, you have a pretty well-planted tank so most of them could hide as needed anyway.

Neons can be tough in the beginning, they can be susceptible to bacterial infections due to the stress of shipping most times. You have the best chance if you get them from a good source.

5. GreekineseNew MemberMember

I'm more worried about the future betta eating the shrimp hehe. I heard that avoiding brightly colored shrimp helps though.

I just read about the bacterial infection. Scary. I got my neons from a LFS, so no shipping concerns. I hope they all play nice together, seems like there's always a loner or two.

6. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Oh yeah, the betta might pose a threat lol.

I just mean where the LFS gets the fish from and what their process is for new fish; if they do precautionary dosing or a 1-day observation before they can be sold to the public, or if they just get their fish from a reputable source.

7. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Here is the issue I see. You are keeping the water temperature at the low end for the betta and the high end for the neons. I don't see either one thriving in those conditions. Trust me, I made the same mistake. I had 6 neons in a 15 gallon with my betta. Temp at 79. The neons didn't move a whole lot. Just kinda floated there. So I transferred them to my 75 gallon tank, where the temp is kept at around 75 degrees. What a difference. A LOT more active now. But again, this is just my own personal experience.