Neon tetra and guppies

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hamham, Jul 16, 2015.

1. H

Hamham New Member Member

Can I keep neon tetras and guppies together? If yes how many of each in a 20 gallon tank?
    Best ideal temperature for both?
    Best PH level for both?

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The only pH that would work for both is about 7.2-7.5. Anything softer than that and the guppies' health will fail. Anything much harder than that and the neon tetras will have issues.

Neons are not beginner fish, as they tend to be very sensitive. If you do decide to get them, start with 3 or 4 male guppies (do not get females) and let the tank settle for a few months before adding the neons.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree that the guppies health will fail at a lower pH, but I have had neon tetras in a pH of 8 and a GH of over 350 and they were fine in it.

And neons prefer coolish temps at 74, rather than their congeners which are more high temp. (Cardinals and green/false neons).

You'd need at least 6 neons.

4. junebug

Lucky :p Did you have wild caught ones by chance? I hear they're much more adaptable than captive bred neons, which is oddly enough the opposite of what is true for most fish.

5. Anders247

I suppose I am lucky. No clue if they were wild caught or not, but I got them from Petsmart (no LFS's around here, only petco and petsmart).
    The ones from petsmart were more hardy than the ones from petco.....

6. junebug

lol All I know is if I even look at neons wrong, they die. And they strongly dislike my tap water, though I can't blame them, I think the pH was something like 9.2 when I tried to keep them in it.

7. Anders247

Yeah, I would just avoid neons and get cardinals, personally.....more hardy.

8. junebug

And prettier <3 Gotta love those vibrant cardinal colors.

9. Anders247

Yes, yes, definitely more colorful. OP, there are many other tetra types to choose from, rather than just neons. Like blue tetras, emperor tetras, congo tetras (these'd need a bigger than a 20 though), diamond tetras, etc.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice