Neon Terra

1. Piggy50 Initiate Member

i have a 2 gallon tank. I'm wondering if 3-5 neon Terra's would be okay to have. Also would and African draf frog eat the neon Terra's because there so small, or no? I have 2 guppies now, male and female, they are okay being in a small tank. I'm going to get rid of them because there breeding WAY to much.
  2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Do you mean neon tetra?
    What are the dimensions of the tank?

Neon tetras need at least 20 gallons because they are every active swimmers. African dwarf frogs need at least 2.5 gallons and guppies need at least 10 gallons. There isn't really any fish suitable for a 2 gallon, but some shrimps or snails would do fine in a 2 gallon.

3. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Yeah, neon tetra, I have a snail in my tank, an ADF and my two guppies. The guppies are fine, they chase each other around the tank and are quite happy as far as I can tell.
  4. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

They might seem "fine" now, but the ammonia & nitrate in the tank will build up to dangerous levels very fast in a tank that size. Guppies also require at least 10 gallons to grow and be healthy.

5. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Can ammonia and nitrate levels build even if you do a complete tank clean out every week? Including cleaning rocks, plants and other things? Because that's what I do.
  6. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Yes, they can. It only takes a few days for them to build up, especially when you have fish that produce a large amount of waste (guppies) in a small amount of space. You should either return/rehome them and leave the tank for only shrimp/snails, or get a larger tank (at least 10 gallons) so you have more choices of fish. Larger tanks are also easier to maintain because fish waste is diluted more unlike in small tanks.
  7. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Unfortunately I can't get a larger tank because I have a very small living space but thank you for your help.

8. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

You do have quite the challenge with that small of a tank being overstocked.

When you clean your tank, it's important not to clean the filter and filter media using tap water. The chlorine will kill the beneficial bacteria that needs to grow.

Instead, just rinse the filter media in the old tank water.
  9. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

You also don't need to clean all of the decorations and rocks. Cleaning the substrate would be enough.
  10. Lloyd Melsome-Smith Initiate Member

We have a 125 ltr Juwel Rio tank with 9 or 10 neon tetra , 2 female and 1 male dwarf gourami, one of the tetras seems to spend a lot of time on its own between the side of the filter and the tank. Is just a shy fish, it comes out at feeding time.

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The tank, as mentioned, is too small for neon tetras. Also they should be in groups of 6+.