Neon Rainbows...what can you tell me about 'em?

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a coupla (Boesmani?) Neon Rainbow Fish in my Q-Tank..thinking perhaps to add them to one of my tanks that already contains a pair of Blue Rams,a trio of Harlequins,some Molly Fry and a coupla corys..can anyone fill in the blanks on this species for me?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Richard,
I have never heard of neon rainbows, but here is a great site giving information on most if not all rainbow species including the boesmani species. You will be drooling for hours.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/

I think most of the rainbows are very peaceful fish and would do great in your tank as long as it was large enough. The rams might not like their activity level too much though, but I could be wrong on that.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This website is actually an online fish store, but it has the most important information about the fish listed next to each fish. I think it's very informative. Here: . They have most rainbows listed.

Do you know the scientific name of the neon rainbow?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
- Melanotaenia Praecox is the scientific name (thanks for the common name Boxermom )

I was actually looking at this fish myself a while ago. I will be getting some rainbows for my 75G tank, and I will certainly consider this one too. I think it's so beautiful.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is this the fish you wanted to know about?

If you type in "Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish" in the Search box on your browser or Google for them, you will be surprised how much there is on them.
It is surprising though I have books that list 1000 Aquarium Fishes and they are not listed in any of them.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rose, I think that's because most books probably list only one rainbow of the family Melanotaenia. And it is usually the Bosemani one. The rest have the same family name and are just different varieties of the same family with similar descriptions. Maybe that's why they don't list the rest. I don't think my freshwater encyclopedia has any other Melanotaenia than the Bosemani one listed either.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't thank y'all enough..while there are some things I'd Google,nothing beats your experience and advice..besides,I trust what you have to say a lot more than any other site..Rose,my Rainbows look similar to the one in the first link in your post,except mine are a lighter shade...thanks to all of you,I now have a much clearer understanding of my newest acquisitions.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, I hope you didn't think that was a "don't bother us" thing. I just didn't have much information and went to Search and found so much that I thought you might be interested that is all. Thank you for the compliment to us. We just enjoy helping and love our fish and are so glad to know others who do the same with theirs.

Rose

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not at all Rose..it's just that I place a lot of trust in the advice I get from you and other members of Fishlore,along with sites you may recomend..in the short time I've been a member,I've learned so much from a really great bunch of people..despite the wealth of knowledge that many of you have,I've never once seen a condescending "My aren't you a ****!" response,and that in my book,makes this a great site to be a member of..cheers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom