Neon Green Rasbora

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sxusie, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sxusie

SxusieValued MemberMember

are neon green rasboras ok with african dwarf frogs?

2. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

African dwarf frogs prefer a tank of their own species.

3. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Do you mean the kubotai rasboras?
    I agree with @Mary765 that a species only tank is best for ADF, and anything else is second best, and would require some accommodation and/or extra effort care-wise.
    I've seen my ADF take a half-grown neon tetra (expensive treat!), so any of the smaller rasboras (chilis, kubotais, etc) would be fair game, IMO. Constantly staying clear of the ADFs would surely be a stressor on the fish. The fish will also compete for food, unless you're feeding frog pellets, or hand-feeding the frogs.
    Not saying it won't work, but go in with your eyes open, and be prepared for any outcome.
    Also, what tank size?

4. OP
    OP
    Sxusie

SxusieValued MemberMember

my tank in 18 gallons and is now all ready for fish, i really love the idea of frogs but i wouldnt like only frogs and i also love tetras but i dont want any sad (or eaten) fish! :(

5. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I have been keeping ADFs for over 15 years and although I have often kept them on their own, sometimes you want a more interesting aquarium and a little colour and movement going on.

Luckily ADFs will coexist fine with the kind of fish which are gentle and non-competitive. I have had great success with Neon and Cardinal Tetras, Glass Catfish, Whiptail Catfish, Pitbull Catfish and Dwarf Hoplo Catfish. There must be more gentle species which are suitable.

With all the above I got the impression that the Frogs were in no danger of being out-competed.

I should mention Corydoras, another group of gently non-aggressive fish. But while they did coexist I always felt the way Corys blunder and bump into the frogs was not ideal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice