Neon blue dwarf gourami emaciated?

Steve8719
Does anyone think my neon blue dwarf gourami looks emaciated? Sorry the pics aren't amazing, he wasn't really into the photoshoot. I've been gone for about a month and my wife has been feeding the fish, so I can't say how much he's been fed. I do know that flakes and freeze dried blood worms will float right by him and he won't take them at all, or does with very little interest. My neon tetras on the other hand will devour about anything in the tank in seconds, so if he isn't being particularly pro-active, I can see how he might not be getting his fair share. There is also a bit of cucumber in the tank for the last 24 hours, and while the swordtail likes it, the gourami has shown no interest. Maybe he's fine, and I'm worried over nothing, but he sure looks skinny to me, and I'd say his color is much duller than when I got him (though the water is quite tannin colored, so it could be just that). Should I be concerned? It's hard for me to tell as I didn't have him very long before I traveled, so I don't have the best basis for comparison. Thanks for the input.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Steve8719
Well, he's floating at the top almost vertical now, so something went wrong. He's not quite dead yet, if anyone has any suggestions. It doesn't look like it will be too long though.

Steve8719
S I'm looking on the Internet for what wrong with him/ what I can do about it, and the best I can come up with is swim bladder, looking at the bulges on his sides?

tfreema
Poor guy does not look well.

Look up DGIV. It is a dwarf gourami disease. Sores are one of the symptoms, so this may not be it.

It is carried in stock coming out of Singapore. I do not buy dwarf gouramis anymore after having three with it.

For this fish, separate and treat with aquarium salt and betta fix. Melafix is not recommended for gouramis. I hope he recovers, but the vertical swim is not a good sign.

Steve8719
Thanks tfreema. I think you may be on to something, just from a quick google of DGIV. I got a better pic. It looks like pictures that came up when I searched for DGIV.
image.jpeg

From fish channel.com "Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death."

that pretty much sounds like every symptom my lil' guy has.

tfreema
If that is what it is, sadly there is not much you can do. There is no cure (yet). I cannot go through it any more and stopped buying them, which is sad because they are such pretty fish that inhabit the mid to top level and stay out where you can enjoy them.

Steve8719
If that is what it is, sadly there is not much you can do. There is no cure (yet). I cannot go through it any more and stopped buying them, which is sad because they are such pretty fish that inhabit the mid to top level and stay out where you can enjoy them.

How long do you think he will linger? I'm thinking of euthanizing, though I'm not sure the best bay to go about it, or if I should let it run its course.

tfreema
I have never had the heart to euthanize even when I knew it would be best. I just keep trying and hoping they get better. I have been fortunate to have very few losses outside the callamanus (or is it camallanus? I see it both ways) outbreak.

tfreema
I have heard clove oil is the most humane followed by freezing water. :-/. Definitely not the expert on this subject though.

Steve8719
I looked up camallanus, I think DGIV looks like a better fit to the symptoms. I'm worried about my other stock now. DGIV only affects dwarf gouramis, right? My neons, swordtail and juliI cories should be OK? is my tank now infected? If I bought a new dwarf gourami, would I just infect it when I put it in my tank?

tfreema
There is no conclusive research that I can find about infecting other species. I have Bolivian Rams, pepper cories, and angelfish in the tank my gourami's were in with no outbreak. I would not recommend adding any more gouramis unless you can reset and disinfect that tank. Personally, after all I have read, I give up on having a DG.

Steve8719
Thanks tfreema, I ended up euthanizing. It was sad, but he was beyond hope and laying flat in that little floating isolation cup panting away. I'm going to do more reading on the DGIV, to see how long I would have to wait before trying again, or just give up and find an alternative to the dwarf gourami. I certainly can't start the tank over, too many other inhabitants. Thanks again for your help.

tfreema
Sorry for your loss.

I get that. I did not reset mine as all the fish are healthy months later.

Please share as you do your research. I will do the same.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HeyBaitwyn
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
alexk77
Replies
Views