Neon aggresion

1. axel Member Member

so i have 15 gallon tank with 4 cories and 6 neons.Another tank with 1 guppy fry (all my guppies dies of columnaris and ich),he is the survivor and he is 2,5 months old about 1,3cm.So i decided to put him in 15 gallon to see how it goes.The neons quickly chase him and i quickly catch him and put him back in his own tank.Its a waste to put 1 fry in bare 10 gallon tank,im not sure what to do with the guppy

2. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

How big and how old are your neons? My one platy fry has been living with my neons for awhile now, since he was about 1cm I think, and they never bother him. I think he's starting to think he's a glowlight. They're always too busy chasing each other to chase him.

What's your feeding schedule like? My fish all get fed at least 2-3 times a day in modest amounts. They're all ravenous eaters, but I think they're too well fed to waste their time trying to chase a meal. ;) perhaps if you up their feeding, and maybe give them some bloodworms or something yummy, they'll stop trying to make a snack of the little guy.

3. axel Member Member

i fed them once a day sometimes bloodworm sometimes wafer,cause the neons seem always bloated when i feed more than once,they always steal cories food,my cories slow at finding its food..not sure how old my neon is ,its bout 2-4 cm..the fry is albino guppy...

4. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

You could always try feeding them less food but more often... My neons also get bloated when they overeat and sometimes have buoyancy problems until they digest. I think it's due to the air in the food, because when I presoak their food it doesn't happen as much or at all. If I were you I'd increase the frequency of feedings and try introducing the fry again. Do you have any water Sprite or other floating plants? My fry have always used the floating plants as cover until they could swim safely in the open water. Now my oldest platy fry gets right up in the feeding frenzy with the rest of them!!

5. axel Member Member

the problem is if i feed them less,the cories wont get any food as the neons will eat all of them first.2 of my neons always took all of the food and get bloated (they are the fattest of 6).

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming you're fedding the Corys pellets ot granules?

7. axel Member Member

bloodworm and wafer,i cant find sinking pellet at my LFS

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

9. axel Member Member

never try it :),i live in south east asia

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Ohhh yeah. That's Alibaba then !

11. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I feed my neons by stcking food onto the glass near the bottom of the tank. This works with either flakes or cubes of tubifex.

Doing this, my corydoras always seemed robust enough to get their share. A mature cory can easily bump a bunch of neons out of the way to get at food!

Also, this way the neons don't ingest air as they do when feeding from the surface.

12. axel Member Member

the first time i mixed them my cories bump the neons if they get too close,but now whenever my cories block their food,they just nip them and the cories dart like bullets

13. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Oh no! I hope my neons don't read this post! They have always been well behaved so far.

14. axel Member Member

thx for all the advice,i kinda regret mixing them together,