Neolamprologus multifasciatus or a betta?

?

Neolamprologus multifasciatus or a betta?

1. Neolamprologus multifasciatus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Betta (with other tank mates?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CherryBarb123 Member Member

After much more research into fish for a small tank, I came across Neolamprologus multifasciatus. They seem interesting and their size is a bonus. Does anyone have any experiences? Are they good? Are they bad? What would be the minimum tank size? Any info about their care would be appreciated.

So, I am considering a Fluval Edge 46. I have 2 options:

A betta

OR

x amount of Neolamprologus multifasciatus

I have been told that bettas shouldn't have tank mates, but my research shows that with care you can make it work. If i was to go with the betta, could I have any tank mates at all?

Thanks - Any help is appreciated :D

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know anything about Fluvals...I'm assuming that's a 46 gallon tank? If so, it might be too large for a betta. They breathe from the surface, and depending on how deep it is, it may make it too difficult for them to swim from the bottom to the top quickly enough when they need to breathe.

You will get a wide range of answers as to whether or no a betta can live in a community setting. Some will say no, under no circumstances; others will say it depends on the betta, and so on. I was considering the same thing, but one member told me about how his betta was in a community tank for four months without a problem, and then one night he got in a scuffle and didn't end up making it. I don't want to risk it, so I decided against it.

3. CherryBarb123 Member Member

It's 46 litres. Sorry, I should have explained that. With the edge, you don't have to fill it to the top, so a betta can breathe from the surface and there is also a gap, where they can breathe from. I may consider going larger - at about 55 litres, but I don't know 100% yet