Neocaridina Davidi- avoiding brown shrimp

NewAtFishKeeping

Are there any different types of neocaridina davidi shrimp that I can put together in a 29 gallon tank which won't result in brown shrimp?
I was really hoping to put a few different colored shrimp together....

BlackOsprey

Nope! They are all the same species so they can all interbreed, and mixing selectively bred lines will result in mutts.
However, if you keep them with small fish, the babies will be eaten, so it won't be an issue. I've heard kuhli loaches are great at eating shrimplets while leaving the adults alone. Your average neon tetra or other similar fish will do a good job of hunting too.

Upvote 0

Demeter

Color-wise, not really. You should be able to mix reds with red rilis and I think blues with blacks as they come from the same line. Don't quote me on that as I'm not entirely sure.

Another option is to look into other species. I've recently added some (expensive) zebra and "green" babaulti shrimp in my Neo tanks. They will not hybridize so no accidental brown shrimp. Keep in mind that if the species you look into are from the same group (Neocaridina, Caridina etc) there is a chance they will hybridize. I recently questioned whether the Neo. davidii would breed with Neo. palamata and they did, resulting in brown shrimp.

Upvote 0

-Mak-

No, there are none. Brown color doesn't happen immediately, but color will be more random and less intense as generations go on

Upvote 0

NewAtFishKeeping

Nope! They are all the same species so they can all interbreed, and mixing selectively bred lines will result in mutts.
However, if you keep them with small fish, the babies will be eaten, so it won't be an issue. I've heard kuhli loaches are great at eating shrimplets while leaving the adults alone. Your average neon tetra or other similar fish will do a good job of hunting too.

So I should have mentioned- I have panda corys in the tank. Would they eat the babies?

Upvote 0

NewAtFishKeeping

No, there are none. Brown color doesn't happen immediately, but color will be more random and less intense as generations go on

Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

NewAtFishKeeping

Color-wise, not really. You should be able to mix reds with red rilis and I think blues with blacks as they come from the same line. Don't quote me on that as I'm not entirely sure.

Another option is to look into other species. I've recently added some (expensive) zebra and "green" babaulti shrimp in my Neo tanks. They will not hybridize so no accidental brown shrimp. Keep in mind that if the species you look into are from the same group (Neocaridina, Caridina etc) there is a chance they will hybridize. I recently questioned whether the Neo. davidii would breed with Neo. palamata and they did, resulting in brown shrimp.

Thanks for this!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
Replies
Views