Neocardinia's Favorite Plants

Sean Smith

I was wondering what plants ,that don't require CO2 set up , neocardinia's love. I have found they like hygro ferns . Java moss, rotala , and fanwort . Any other plants they like besides Marimo moss balls that don't require extra fertilizers and CO2 set up ? (My guys really love java moss and fanwort )

fissh

they groom about any type of plants but seem to like moss the best.

Sean Smith

Yeah they love marimo moss balls and java fern . Just curious if there were any other plants the seem to like that isn't just moss or what I have . Would like a little more plant color than just green XD

FishRFriendz

Rotala wallichiI turns red and has a very fine leaf shrimp will like. But it’s a high maintenance plant, most red plants are.

bgclarke

Mine absolutely love java moss.
I added two bunches the other day and it was a mass migration to them immediately.

I find they also like water sprite and duckweed.

Poverestpedant

Mine love Brazilian pennywort and water lettuce.
*Pelia* moss too, though apparently that's not to everyone's taste, though I like it's structure.

Sean Smith

Never heard of pelican moss . I have lots of duckweed . Kinda sad to hear about the maintenance for the red plant. I like the plants I have in my tank but would like colorful (fully) aquatic plants that arnt just green and require CO2 . Light isn't an issue

I have lots of light but learned iron helps in color . But I found this website that seems very helpful in picking out plants and judging care needed
The right aquarium plants - Tropica Aquarium Plants

75g Discus Tank

My shrimp love moss and anarcharis.

Poverestpedant

Sorry, **** phone autocorrect, pelia moss!

Sean Smith

Is the iron that you can inject into the water harmful to neocardinias. All my research doesn't show any issues but just wanna make sure

FishRFriendz

Iron is fine as long as you follow the directions. But really bright red plants need high light and preferably pressurized co2

-Mak-

Shrimp like whatever plants they can graze off of. Plants with more surface area, like on moss and small structured plants, seem to grow more biofilm

Sean Smith

I have bright light . It's three times more than required for typical medium light plants need .

jmaldo

You can also try Vallisneria, Frogbit and mine especially like Süsswassertang Liverwort and Riccia. (all still green though).

Sean Smith

There's the sunset hygro fern I wanna get . Doesn't seem like I'll need extra CO2 just iron supplements .

THCrescue

Mine seem to be big fans of any anubias, java fern and vals. They will clean/groom just about anything. I always see grips of them on my lilly stems and hanging out in the floating grass I have. My shrimp tank is quite mixed. Swords, vals, etc. All low tech. I just dose basic ferts once a week after water changes. I almost always have something that requires trimming at water changes. Let me know if you want more infos.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom