Nematodes? How to treat?

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This is ny first post here and i am hoping to find so advice on what I think is a Nematode infecection in my TigerBarbs. I have attached a photo. Some refrences I have read say that they are red not white??? if so than this could just be poop? I have seen it on two of my Tiger Barbs. They are both less than a month old, My water is in good shape. I do have a catfish in there as well which do not do well with most medication (if i have to use any). Would it be better to quarintine the cat and treat the main tank or put the Barbs in a seprate tank? I know nothing of this issue any help would be wonderful.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whitish, semitransparent, or stringy faeces is most commonly a sign of disease. It appears as if this is the problem here. It would be the most effective to remove the sick fish and treat them in a smaller tank as it saves on the medication. Are there any other symptoms present? I would definitely put them in a quarantine tank for now and please let us know of any other symptoms. Lack of appetite or not swimming about as much, settling on the bottom, fins clamped, darting about wildly, coughing, yawning, anything that fish do not normally do.

Rose

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Chichadee,
You seem to think that it is feces and not any worms?
I have noticed it on two of the Tiger Barbs. Not all the time but the two i am worried about will hang out at the top by themselves. They are defeintly not lacking appetite. I have 4 T barbs total and they swim around nipping at each other, mainly playing around. None of the other things you listed are apparent.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are they eating? Sometimes what their eating will make their feces look different.
Carol

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly,
They are eating flakes with some blood worms trown in once a week. Could it be so simple? They have had blood worms in the past and never pooped like this.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a suggestion. Fast them, see if you can get them to eat some squished peas, then go back to their normal diet and see what happens.
Carol

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks Butterfly,
I have heard of the pea thing before. I will give it a try.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It looks strange to me because my fish never have their feces this long. But I hope I am just overreacting and that the Tiger Barb is healthy.

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input!
I fasted them for a few days and then gave them some peas (these Barbs will go after anything!!) for three days. It has been almost two weeks and I have yet to notice any more weirdness. Thank you again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom