Nematode ID-very sick Mystery Snails Help 

OhKay13

Reaction score
So I bought 3 mystery snails from a rather sketchy aquarium shop. But I checked the snails prior to putting them in the tank with my Mississippi Map Turtle and Pleco and they seemed healthy aside from being a little stressed. About a week into putting them in the tank they all became lethargic so I immediately pulled them out and quarantined them in a 2 gallon with a bubbler and some wild moss. I’ve been doing a 60% water Change every other day.

Then these very small nematodes started coming out of them and I watched several burrow into the feet of the snails. Theyre too small for me to get a picture of but they are maybe a millimeter-centimeter in size, white, and narrow. The snails just keep getting worse. One has been on the floor of the tank for 2 days now (still alive) and the others just sit at the surface. I’ve still been feeding them a mixture of the protein pellets for the turtle and fish flakes but they eat very little if at all. I pull out the detritus daily and plunge it all in to salt bath including any tools I put into the tank.

When we started seeing the worms we did a full water change in my big tank and have yet to see them in there or in the filter.

What is this strange wormy thing? How can I get rid of it? Is there any hope for the snails?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was reading a thread just this morning that recommended doing a salt dip. It recommended dissolving 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt in a cup of tank water. Leave the snail(s) in this solution for 10 to 15 minutes.

Keep in mind. I Have never had this problem so can't say for sure that this is the best way to go. You may want to do some research on it before doing it.

OhKay13

Reaction score
I was reading a thread just this morning that recommended doing a salt dip. It recommended dissolving 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt in a cup of tank water. Leave the snail(s) in this solution for 10 to 15 minutes.

I heard the same thing but others responded saying that you might as well just flush your snails because any fluctuation in salinity will kill them.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That could very well be the case. I wish i could help but other than what i mentioned I don't know what else to recommend.

OhKay13

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
That could very well be the case. I wish i could help but other than what i mentioned I don't know what else to recommend.
No frets. Thank you. Worse case scenario I’ll do that. Then if it works, awesome. But if it kills them then it’ll at least put them out of their misery I guess. Poor dudes have been pooping out nothing but worms the past few days.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OhKay13 said:
No frets. Thank you. Worse case scenario I’ll do that. Then if it works, awesome. But if it kills them then it’ll at least put them out of their misery I guess. Poor dudes have been pooping out nothing but worms the past few days.
Oh my goodness. I am sure they are miserable. Poor little guys :( I do know a big dose of table salt will kill pest snails quickly and the strength recommended may very well do the same to the mysteries.

Hopefully someone that knows a LOT more than I do will know how to help them.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they are nematodes you may be able to use fenbendazole to get them off the snails without hurting the snails.

OhKay13

Reaction score
I’ve also heard that that will also kill the snails...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom