Nelson has Fungus

1. Heather M Well Known Member Member

I woke up this morning to find cotton like white stuff at the openings of Lord Nelson's gills on both sides. I looked on this site and found that fungus best describes it. I bought him a 10g tank today along with some medicine for his fungus. It is Fungus Clear Tank Buddies (jungle Brand). The problem is that I already picked out the filter and hood by doing research on the Internet, and I still have to get them from Petco. I probably won't be able to go tomorrow because the youth at my church is baking cookies to sell. (We have over 70 dozen to bake!!!) The fungus clear comes in fizz tabs that treat 10g each with every tab, so I can't do that until I set up the 10g. I think it would be best to get a filter before I do the treatments. I've had Nelson 2 weeks today, and I don't want to loose him so soon. He has brought me great happiness, and I've gotten quite emotionally attached to him. My 10 year old brother asked me how I could love a fish. Really, before I got him, I was wondering that myself, since being you can't hold them or play with them the way you would a dog. But I see now. You can interact with them, just in a different way. And since I got him, I've been talking to myself a lot less. ;) I love Nelson. He either likes me as well or associates me with food. I'm not sure which yet. Anyway, I really hope he pulls through this!!!

2. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I hope he pulls through too. He will genuinely love you in return. I know first hand how strong a bond with a fighter can be and trying to talk to people who have not experienced it makes you feel as though you are crazy. I am very familiar with the feeling. My fighters are my best friends & I find my boys more loyal than even my dog! I tried to train my puppy and she completely ignores me, yet my fighter Achilles would bend over backwards to get my attention and answer any command I gave to him. There is something special about the bettas, you can grow attached to them, they do recognise their owners and love you in return. Never doubt that. :;hf
    You sound like you are doing wonderfully by him. Fighters truly are fighters, they will not let much lick them. :p

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry about Nelson. I hope he feels better soon.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no!!!! im sorry about nelson also :( poor lil man
    at this point i would get his 10g tank up and running with his filter and heater, and get his temps to 80F and then put him in it...normally i wouldnt recommend an uncycled tank but he is showing signs of being from an unheated unfiltered tank and it wont be hard to keep up with prestine water changes in a 10g ...bettas arent huge waste producers and at this point he needs that warmer cleaned water more before he gets worse...i dont think he needs meds at this point, just a nice warm clean place to live...add some fresh garlic to his diet or soak all his food in fresh garlic juice..

5. Sprinangl2 Member Member

Awwww I hope Nelson feels better! If you don't have your heater for your 10 gallon, move your tank to a place where the temperature is both warm and consistently so. I wouldn't worry too much about not having a filter, just do water changes often.
    Best of luck! Tell Nelson we're all rooting for him!

6. Heather M Well Known Member Member

Our house is full or unused heaters. This won't be a problem. The only thing that concerns me is that they have some age to them and haven't been used for a while. I'll just have to watch them closely. (That is unless I can convince my mom to let me have a new one. That sounds weird without you knowing my age. I'm 16.)

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

do an extra chore for mom ;D
    I know thats how my daughter gets her money!!!! :)
    and heaters are pretty reasonable

8. Heather M Well Known Member Member

I forgot to ask you about the garlic. How much should I give him. How will it help? Thanks! And as for the tank not being cycled, I thought I'd buy some tetra safestart and I test kit. I'll try my best to keep the parameters normal.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I do about 2-3 drops in my 10g. One in my 5g.

10. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

11. Heather M Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone. Today I bought a 10g tank kit that comes with a fluorescent hood, heater, filter, digital thermometer, fish net, and samples of food and water conditioner. It ended up being less expensive than if I were to buy just the hood and filter. I'll just take the other tank back to the store. I also got an API Master Test Kit, Nutrafin Cycle to cycle the tank, and extra filter inserts. I'll put Nelson in his tank tomorrow. For a fish with fungus, he seems remarkably well. He still swims around and comes to me when I go near his bowl. He even built a very small bubble nest the other day, about the size of a 50 cent piece. I can still see the fungus. He's a fighter, that's to be sure!

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Unfortunatly, Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria.
    It's not aquatic and will die off quickly.
    It'll use the ammonia and not allow your tank to cycle properly.
    You'll have to add it for the life of your tank or the cycle will crash.
    The only product I've heard members have luck with is Tetra SafeStart.
    I used TSS on an established tank when I added a bunch of fish and didn't have any problems with ammonia spikes.

I'm glad you found a good deal, I know your baby will love it.
    Best of luck :)

13. Heather M Well Known Member Member

That really annoys me. The package doesn't say anything about that. My Petco doesn't have Tetra Safestart. Maybe a different pet store would have it? I'll have to see. My parents get really annoyed having to drive me everywhere. I'm old enough for my drivers license but I don't even have my learners permit yet. How should I cycle if I can't get anyone to take me to get the safestart?

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The chain stores don't sell it.
    Do you have a good test kit? (Liquid, not strips)
    Once you get an ammonia reading, you'll need to do daily water changes until the tank cycles.
    Use Prime as your water conditioner to detox the ammonia.

15. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Glad your baby boy is feeling better! It is a pain not having a licence I can relate! :)

16. Heather M Well Known Member Member

Nelson is finally in his 10g. He seemed very curious when I first put him in. I doubt he's ever had this much room before. I had to take down the background I had on the tank and put up a bath towel because he wouldn't stop flaring at his reflection. He's so beautiful when he flares because he puffs up all his fins. The water temp is 79 F. I have the heater running to maintain the temp. I hope he's happy in the 10g! I'm going to a little pet store today to look for the safestart.

17. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Oh no! He could see his reflection! I have had that problem in my house. I have to make sure they can't see themselves because a betta I used to have would spend ages trying to outswim his own reflection! He kept chasing it and chasing it! I had to make alterations to his tank to stop him before he went loopy! :;voices

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you may want to call around to see if anyone has the TSS so your parents aren't driving you all over the place. Also, see if they will order it online for you if you can't find it locally. I know that some people have had a really hard time finding it - I am very lucky - 2 of our local stores sell it.

19. Heather M Well Known Member Member

Nelson is better now! ;D I was really worried about him for a while. He still seems to love the 10g. I wish I had some of his energy. He just goes back and forth all the time. I was worried that the current of the filter was stressing him, so I switched with my brother, whose filter forms a lighter current. And he still goes back and forth. I've never seen such an active betta in my life. :;bananarow

20. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Well an active betta has to be a sign of good health! It is wonderful news! Tell him I said hi! :)