Nelix is tougher than I thought!

Discussion in 'Everythingzen' started by Everythingzen, May 16, 2011.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Nelix, and the road to Bettadom

I got up this morning and went through my usual ritual, which involves turning tank lights on and putting on the jug for a cup of tea. Today the jug didn't turn on, though. This is only significant because the lights in my kitchen are shot and so we use a lamp. The power point is a double with one outlet holding the power board for the betta tank - light, heater, filter, etc. The other outlet kinda switches between the lamp, the jug and last night the iron for the week ahead's clothes. I figure the tank can stay put and the rest can switch as none need to be plugged in constantly. Somehow over the weekend the iPhone charger joined the musical chairs for the second outlet and anyway, long story short I woke up to find the power board was unplugged! I felt sick when I looked in and saw the lifeless body of nelix in his plant. I turned the board in anyway and the filter choked back to life and the light showed no movement at all from him. There have been so many times when I've thought he was a goner but he was just resting or whatever, but this was different. He was that dead still, you know the one? I put my head on the bench and talked to myself woefully about how this was typical of my luck and my carelessness had taken its worst turn yet, etc, when my daughter asked what was wrong. Not wanting to tell her at that point, I stood upright and sighed about how it was a bad day already and that nelix didn't look well... I knocked the bench pulling the jug over to the tap and to my utter shock nelix's fins jerked. I stared in, but he was still still. I was sure he'd moved though. That wasn't a jolt from the bench shaking - the benches are stone! I couldn't vibrate them with a sledgehammer. I made a quick decision to not go poking about and checked the thermometre - 13c! Youch.... I turned his heater up as high as it would go and turned the light off to keep it dark. I left him for the next few hours just checking him and the temp periodically. At one check he was down on the gravel scrounging! He came right up when he saw me so I turned his light on and dropped in a small bit of food. I was dumbfounded. He acted like nothing was wrong at all. Hs heater is now almost back to within range, at 22c an hour ago. I want it to go up to 26. I have no idea what hypothermia is with fish, but crikey Moses! I thought about adding warm water when I realized he was still alive but I didn't want to shock him, even though the change would have been still slow. I just cannot believe it. What a little trooper!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Wow! A tough little fishy haha.

3. mcurtissdsu

mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

Wow! Glad he's ok! Guess he was just chilly... :;flake

4. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

And now, 24 hours later, he's acting entirely normal. You'd never know he was playing dead from the cold just yesterday morning! I hope he isn't affected in some non-visible way. The poor fish. He had it rough right from the beginning when I didn't even realise what colour he was in the pet shop, thanks to the ridiculously small cup he was in!

I think I might be having a good luck run. I went to the newsagent with a lotto ticket from 2009 on Sunday that apparently won $12.65!! I always forget to check lotto tickets and rarely buy them, but this one had been stuck on the fridge since some time in 2009! :;smack

5. mcurtissdsu

HAHA! Nice! Free money is always great!

I hate it when my betta rests on the ground! He does it every night. If I happen to be in the room when the light turns on (I have it on a timer) he's ALWAYS laying on the ground! As soon as the light comes on and I walk up to the tank he perks right up and acts totally normal all day. He's done it every night for the 6 months or so that I've had him so I'm chalking it up to his personality and not an illness at this point, lol. Freaked me out for a while though.

6. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

This must be a common trick among betta! Or is that bettas? Haha. Mine often lays still and gives me moments of panic. Maybe they just like to check we still care :D

I decided yesterday to do a major revamp of nelix's tank, including dividing it so he can have a friend he hopefully won't see. I might just rename this to The Adventures of Nelix or something because he is honestly proving one of the most full of personality fish I own. I'd be curious as to how similar another would be, plus I'm a full convert now to bettadom. Not sure if the next one will be a carefully selected extremely gorgeous one, or another sad little one who I have to get home to a nice clean tank with toys because he looks so tortured in the shop. Maybe I will forego the cat tank and just divide it into 3, making it 4 new betta.

....is that a little excessive? Even if it is, is that going to stop me? Not in this lifetime! :;scuba

7. mcurtissdsu

LOL! Not at all in my book! I too have jumped on the betta bandwagon! They're just too cute and funny. I have a 29 gallon right now that has my lone angelfish and two cory catfish. My angel is almost 2 years old...I think when he goes (fingers crossed for another year at least!) I will just divide the tank into 3 sections and get more bettas. Do they make dividers that are not mesh so they can't see each other?? I think that's what I would want. I just took a silly video of Blizzard...waiting for it to upload on YouTube.

Oh, the life of a betta parent... :p

8. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Things aren't looking too good. He's been very still at the surface, either lying on the heater or on his little shelf that is suctioned onto the wall about 3 cm below the surface. He ate this morning, but he's really, really lethargic. The filter died the other night and I only got the replacement yesterday. The media should have retained the bacteria as I kept it wet. Plus, he'd not have deteriorated this quickly anyway. My poor little mate. :(

9. wisecrackerz

wisecrackerzWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry about Nelix, fingers crossed that he feels better!