Neglected Betta rescued!

Phloxface
Early this morning I went to a dollar store to get some kitchen items I needed and to my absolute horror I saw at the cash register a VERY tiny cup with a Betta for sale! This cup was half the size of Petsmart or maybe even less. The red veiltail had a large black bruise on his body and scraggly deformed fins and a ball of cotton fungus hanging on one of his ventral fins. He couldn't even move in that cup. :'( The water was cloudy and full of poo on the bottom. The chinese woman who owned the store said he son's friend had bred his fish and didn't know what to do with the babies so she sold them in her store. This fish had been there almost 2 months and she said she was about to "discard" him because no one wanted him. I'm amazed he was still alive considering how little anyone there cared about him. I had no where to put him but I could not leave him behind even if I had to keep him in a bucket! I left my other purchases there at the cash and only bought the Betta. I will not give my business to anyone so cruel to animals!
When I got home I ran into a neighbour and showed her the Betta. She said she had a large bowl that her daughter's goldfish had been in and it died so they didn't need the bowl anymore. She brought it to me and I was relieved that it was indeed large... It was a 3 gallon bowl. I had a spare 25 watt heater and since the bowl was big enough I cleaned it out and put in the heater. When I put the Betta in he swam around slowly and looked just amazed! He kept touching the plant with his mouth and then looking at me over and over as if he was asking me "What is this?" He swam down and stared at the rocks. He seems a bit stunned by it all and even though it's not a ton of space he seems VERY happy to be able to stretch out and have nice warm clean water. I gave him lots of vitamins and am treating him with meds for his fungus and any bacterial infection he may have. I'm not sure what to do about the bruise. The skin and scales are not broken but it is a deep and dark bruise! He's swimming okay so somehow it hasn't damaged his swim bladder. He's definitely not as active, healthy and playful as Frasier and LP but I hope he stays well and I can take good care of him and give him a better life than the misery he's had so far! I don't even know how he got bruised. Probably that woman dropped him or some kid shook the cup and slammed him around. >
I'll get him a small filter next week. For now water changes, Prime and NovAqua+ in his water will keep him clean and safe.
Here's a couple pics of the poor guy (who is so far unnamed) His bowl is in the kitchen and I have a CD cover on top to keep him from jumping out. He'll get a bigger home eventually but for now this is at least better than the hellhole he was in! You can see the bruise in the closeup pic.

Bonochick
Aww, he's lucky that you adopted him! Nice save. ;D

Howeyg
that's horrible have you named him yet?

nmwierman1977
Aw, that poor fish. It's very obvious too me that the whole point of you going to that store in Gods mind was to find that poor Betta and bring him home to give him a good life and not to buy the other stuff. How about naming him Noah. Noah from Noah's ark survived a very long voyage during the great flood for 40 days along with saving all the animals.This little guy has survived for 60 days in that wretched bowl and it was a miracle that he did, just like it was a miracle that Noah saved all those animals and survived during the flood for 40 days. I hope he lives a long and healthy life for you. This was meant to be. God put his trust in you to take care of him and he made the right choice in doing so. Just like he put his Trust in Noah to buuild that ark and save all those animals from the flood. Natalie

Howeyg
I recommend calling him Ganesha Hindu god of luck

capekate
OHHH Phloxface...
I am so glad that no one is home to see me now. I can't believe I am crying..., but what an awful sad story. That poor poor betta. :'( I agree, you were brought to that store for a purpose and I also commend you on not shopping there anymore! Those %$%(%$#$!!!!! 's. grrrr..
He looks a lot like my betta, phoenix. He is so lucky to have a loving home with you. His bowl is a great size for him and he must feel like he is in palace! I wish you the very best luck in healing him.

God Bless you for doing such a wonderful thing! ;D ~ kate

Jendayi
It is amazing that these little guys can survive in such horrendous conditions. I'm glad that you were sent there today to help this poor guy out. I hope he quickly feels comfortable and lets his little personality shine.

I know we disagree on the minimum tank size, but you really could get him a small Whisper 3I filter for that bowl and he would be quite comfortable there for a while...

Phloxface
I'm going to be getting him the Whisper 3I filter next weekend. I have them in several of my other tanks and they are really good little filters. The plant in there isn't quite right for that bowl but it's all I had for now that would fit. I will also get him a smaller live plant next week and maybe a small ornament if I can find one that fits. I'm just glad it's big enough to heat. Keeping a steady warm temp is so important to their health!
It's weird, I have never went in that place before and I don't know why I did today. I guess it must be fate. Even weirder is that I ran into a neighbour who just happened to have a bowl for him. I think this fish has a guardian angel looking out for him! :;a
His bruise just shocked me when I saw him! I've never seen a bruise like that on a fish! It's like someone just punched him in the kidney! His color in the cup was so different than in the pics. His fins were very pale red and his body was a sickly yellow with a big black bruise! He was not a very pretty Betta at all but he so obviously needed rescueing. After putting him in the bowl he started turning more deep red and just seems more mellow and calm. He glides around slowly, curiously investigating all the objects in his bowl. He swims right up to the front whenever I come near. He's not shy or afraid. His appetite is good and he ate two HikarI pellets soaked in vitamins for breakfast. God only knows what they were feeding him...
The fungus on his ventral fin is just in the beginning stages so it should be easy to cure. He may have some slight finrot on his tail but it's hard to tell. The meds should help that too. I added some Kordon's Fish Protector to his water to help heal his bruise and give him a good slime coat.
Those are good names Natalie and Howeyg but I had already decided he needed a tough name because any fish that survived that long in those conditions was a real fighter. That and the bruise on him just made me think of Rocky Balboa and how he always won against all odds. So his name will be Rocky.

0morrokh
I am so glad you were able to rescue Rocky. That is so horrible that people can be so cruel to animals, whether they mean to be or not. I don't even want to think how that lady would have "discarded" him if no one had bought him. Now I'm inspired...I can't wait to set up my new 20 long (divided) so I can rescue some Bettas myself!

Howeyg
rocky is a nice name

I just thought of another one (too late now)

Rambo

same reason as rocky

nmwierman1977
I think Rocky is a very good name for him.It's good that he's come out of his shell so fast already especially with what he went through. Good luck with Rocky. I hope he recovers as fast as his spirit lifted. Natalie

Phloxface
I'm pretty sure she would have discarded him by dumping him in the toilet and flushing him alive. > She would not have wasted time, money or effort euthanizing him humanely.

The most satisfying rescues are not looking for the most beautiful Bettas, but the ones that are least likely to find homes. The drab colored ones, the ones with deformed scraggly fins and those that are sick but can be cured with a little time and meds, but the stores can't be bothered wasting money treating them. It's amazing how even the drab, not so great looking Bettas can blossom when properly taken care of. They may never be show Bettas, but they look so much better and seem to really understand and appreciate that you saved them. IMO all Bettas are beautiful!

0morrokh
Yeah, all Bettas are beautiful and special. I always choose Bettas for personality rather than color. When I first started with Bettas I avoided sick ones, but now I think I will start rescuing Bettas who are less healthy.

voiceless_kat
Bless your heart, Phlox................you have done such a kind and wonderful thing rescuing Rocky.........he looks like my Storm, who was also almost dead.........and you are right, theare the ones who no one else will take thank you in spades with their antics and charming ways. You have done many wonderful things with Bettas since I have been on this forum........you certainly have earned your wings. :;a

We sure all have our purpose in life, to make small changes when we are able. Good Karma will be yours. Thanks for making the world a better place!

Val; Neptune; Storm & Wink Jack Sparrow.........sending love

Now you need the bumper sticker: GET OUT OF MY WAY, BETTA RESCUER ABOARD! lol

COBettaCouple
aww.. that poor little guy. we're so glad you rescued him from the animal cruelty fans of that store. our little sweetie shows how a betta that looks terrible at the store with all kinds of damage or problems can turn into a beautiful fish that's just so happy to have you. Stacy's a big Rocky fan so loves the name. :;br!

Phloxface
Val, the first thing I thought of when I saw Rocky was that he looked just like Storm. He had the same sad, hopeless expression in his eyes as Storm did when you first got him. Rocky's expression is completely different now. He seems to be smiling! He is quite a bit more active today and did the crazy Betta dance this morning begging for food. He's still enjoying his little bachelor apt although I am going to redecorate it next week to give him more space and some fun things to explore. I put some gravel and a rock from the cycled tanks in there so the bowl should cycle fast. He has Prime in there so he won't be affected by the ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. He's getting small water changes daily. His temp is holding nice and steady at 80F and I am treating him with Fungus Cure because he seems to have the beginnings of finrot on his tail. The edges look brown and almost like wilted melting lettuce! Surprisingly he doesn't seem to have any internal infections because he's acting healthy and eating like a piggy. He is not picky at all and eats anything I give him. Today he had daphnia as a mid morning snack and he loved it. His belly is somewhat hollow, probably from malnutrition but that will soon change. I soak his pellets and bloodworms in vitamins and he's eating the gel-tek color enhancing vitamins too. His color is slowly improving.
He loves attention and is fascinated by the whole process of making coffee. (his bowl is next to the coffee machine) and he gets very excited when we make coffee. He loves the gurgling sound of the machine.
For the most part he's doing really well. I just hope we can get his finrot under control and that it doesn't become one of those stubborn cases.

0morrokh
I'm glad to hear he is doing well. Hopefully the finrot will clear up quickly. He is so lucky that you rescued him. That's cute that he likes watching the coffee machine.

voiceless_kat
Phlox...so good to hear that he is starting to stretch his fins; revel in his freedom from that awful cup and get some love. Don't they just crush your heart?? I am so happy that you found each other - you have had a pretty rough couple weeks, and just think of the three wonderful rescues you made....I am sure they are helping your heart heal!!

It is true, when God closes one door, He opens another

Remember when I brought Storm home, and you supported me through those days and weeks he just lay tipped over at the bottom of the tank???Wow that seems like such a long time ago..he has some little problems, but for the most part has become strong and happy ( & also kind of needy, which I love, cuz it is more fun to talk and play with them when they respond. )

We send all best wishes and of course always watch and read your postings about the progress they all make.

Val

COBettaCouple
I bet he's thinking: for :;co! lol.. he sounds like he's doing so much better and it's great to think of how happy he must be to suddenly have this new world that's wonderful after living in that dollar store prison. he's got a great sense of curiosity and that's one of my favorite things about bettas.

Tazmiche
What an amazing story! Isn't fate strange but amazing!

I'm thrilled you found Rocky and would love to see more pics of him changing. I'm still gutted that I didn't manage to save my little 'Blue eyes' but wish you the best of luck with your little champ.

Blow him a kiss from his Aunty Michelle in the UK xx

COBettaCouple

I'm thrilled you found Rocky and would love to see more pics of him changing. I'm still gutted that I didn't manage to save my little 'Blue eyes' but wish you the best of luck with your little champ.

taz - we lost 2 that same way.. but you'll have better luck with your next one.. or 2.. or 3.. however many you buy.. just need a bunch of those containers and you can take home a BIG box full of them.

phlox - how's rocky today? any new pics of the champ?

Phloxface
Rocky is becoming much more active and playful. His color is really improving. His body was a patchy yellowish color with pale red and his fins were not very dark red either. Those pics I posted of him on his first day make him look much better than he really was. It's hard to capture the tones of bad color on him with my camera. The patchy coloration is all gone now and his body is a clear rosy red with bright red fins now. His bruise is still there but it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain. He spends his entire day swirling around and around and swimming though the branches of his plant. He looks so happy. He's still eating well.
I've got him on fungus clear right now so his water is blue and I can't get any proper pics until he's off the meds. The ball of fungus he had on his ventral fin dropped off after one day on meds. His tail hasn't gotten any worse but no better yet. It hasn't actually fallen off or disintegrated but looks a bit transparent and "mushy" on the ends.
Once he's off the meds I'll see about getting a video of him dancing around posted as well as pics.
He's actually a very handsome red veiltail... he just needed a proper enviroment and good nutrition to blossom!

Tazmiche

taz - we lost 2 that same way.. but you'll have better luck with your next one.. or 2.. or 3.. however many you buy.. just need a bunch of those containers and you can take home a BIG box full of them.

phlox - how's rocky today? any new pics of the champ?

Thanks Dave, off to find my new baby tomorrow, just think out there tonight swimming around waiting for his or her Mum is MY Betta!

Phlox i'm so glad he's doing well, your experiences are really inspiring me. We need more people like you on this planet!!

COBettaCouple
Rocky is becoming much more active and playful. His color is really improving. His body was a patchy yellowish color with pale red and his fins were not very dark red either. Those pics I posted of him on his first day make him look much better than he really was. It's hard to capture the tones of bad color on him with my camera. The patchy coloration is all gone now and his body is a clear rosy red with bright red fins now. His bruise is still there but it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain. He spends his entire day swirling around and around and swimming though the branches of his plant. He looks so happy. He's still eating well.
I've got him on fungus clear right now so his water is blue and I can't get any proper pics until he's off the meds. The ball of fungus he had on his ventral fin dropped off after one day on meds. His tail hasn't gotten any worse but no better yet. It hasn't actually fallen off or disintegrated but looks a bit transparent and "mushy" on the ends.
Once he's off the meds I'll see about getting a video of him dancing around posted as well as pics.
He's actually a very handsome red veiltail... he just needed a proper enviroment and good nutrition to blossom!

yea, the pic I took of sweetie when we rescued her turned out looking like a smooth green even though she was pale, colorless and had deep stress lines.. I think it's the way the light reflect on the scales.. fortunately she now easily looks better than that pic made her look then and it'll be like that for Rocky too.

COBettaCouple
Thanks Dave, off to find my new baby tomorrow, just think out there tonight swimming around waiting for his or her Mum is MY Betta!

Phlox i'm so glad he's doing well, your experiences are really inspiring me. We need more people like you on this planet!!

yea, it's so fun to head to the store knowing you'll bring home at least one soon-to-be-happy betta. stacy gets so excited she'll have a hard time going to sleep or she'll dream of bettas. Have a great time and we look forward to seeing your new baby.

0morrokh
Glad to hear Rocky is recovering. I bet he'll be a looker once he's fully recovered...red Bettas are always beautiful. It's amazing how much they color up once you put them into a warm tank.

armadillo
Phloxface. Lots to say. Here it comes in really random order.

I also had tears in my eyes too thinking of his conditions in the shop.

Is it possible that the shop lady was told by the kid who bred them that they were OK in small unheated/unfiltered containers and figured that one just happened not to be sturdy? I just can't believe that someone who knows it's wrong would keep doing it. That would be soooo sad.

I think Rocky is a great name for it. Great idea!

I really hope that his traumatic start in life hasn't caused any permanent damage and that after this bout of meds he can live a long and healthy life.

The lady didn't happen to tell you his age, did she?

REALLY silly question, as you're a betta expert and am absolutely not, but is there a teeny tiny wheeny chance that the bruise is a weird coloration patch?

I am not convinced that putting a betta that was in an appallingly small vase in a 5G is a good idea anyway. Perhaps he feels safe now that he's got a confined space, but that's big enough to move around. I've moved my balloon molly about 4 days ago from a 3G hospital tank (she was recovering from an infection) to a 39G, and she now spends her time in the corner, looking scared. Maybe she'll improve, but all am saying is it's not necessarily a bad thing that he is in a 3G.

The only thing is it's a bit of a shame with the restricted volume is that he can't have an ornament in there (not one he'd fit under). Maybe Timg could suggest how to custom-make one!

I think it's fabulous that your neighbour was nice about the fishbowl and offered it immediately.

to you and long live Rocky!

Jendayi
REALLY silly question, as you're a betta expert and am absolutely not, but is there a teeny tiny wheeny chance that the bruise is a weird coloration patch?

I wondered this same thing, as well. It's just is hard to tell from a picture, and I have never seen anything like it IRL.

I've moved my balloon molly about 4 days ago from a 3G hospital tank (she was recovering from an infection) to a 39G, and she now spends her time in the corner, looking scared. Maybe she'll improve, but all am saying is it's not necessarily a bad thing that he is in a 3G.

It took Jett about 5 days to move out of the corner of the 2.5g tank after he had been in his cup. He went into the 5 gallon with no issues, tho. Seems like once he got the idea that his movement wasn't restricted anymore he just went with it.

0morrokh
I've moved my balloon molly about 4 days ago from a 3G hospital tank (she was recovering from an infection) to a 39G, and she now spends her time in the corner, looking scared. Maybe she'll improve, but all am saying is it's not necessarily a bad thing that he is in a 3G.

It took Jett about 5 days to move out of the corner of the 2.5g tank after he had been in his cup. He went into the 5 gallon with no issues, tho. Seems like once he got the idea that his movement wasn't restricted anymore he just went with it.

I guess it depends on the individual Betta. Dorado went into the 10 gal q tank straight from his tiny cup, and seemed to love having all the space and was swimming around immediately. Same thing with Cas, I remember letting her out of the cup into the tank and the first thing she did was attacked a floating baby java fern! ;D

COBettaCouple
I think we've been fortunate that so far, all the bettas that we've gotten have pretty much gone wild exploring their tanks.. some faster than others, but they seem to be in a hurry to get away from the cup.

Phloxface
Is it possible that the shop lady was told by the kid who bred them that they were OK in small unheated/unfiltered containers and figured that one just happened not to be sturdy? I just can't believe that someone who knows it's wrong would keep doing it. That would be soooo sad.

She didn't care at all. I always find it unbelievable that anyone could be so unfeeling towards animals. Some people really do think animals, especially fish have no feelings or intelligence.

I really hope that his traumatic start in life hasn't caused any permanent damage and that after this bout of meds he can live a long and healthy life.

He seems to be very healthy now. He is getting more active every day and his color is really improving.

The lady didn't happen to tell you his age, did she?

She didn't know much about him or care but I'd guess him to be between 6-9 months of age. He's pretty much full grown in size but he's not an old Betta because he's so active and playful and the kid who gave the Bettas to her probably got rid of them as soon as they were big enough to go.

I wondered that too when I saw him or I thought it was some kind of infection or skin disease... I asked her if that mark has always been there and she said no, that he had been dropped and it was bruised. She saw I was interested in him and quickly added that she was sure he was okay though because he still eats well. I didn't ask or want to know how it happened. I would have taken him even if he was near death. I think he does have something internally because I can see the black mass right through his body from the other side and the part that is bruised is slightly swollen. He may have some scar tissue or something. Fortunately at this time it doesn't seem to bother or hurt him. He's been dancing up a storm these past few days.

I am not convinced that putting a betta that was in an appallingly small vase in a 5G is a good idea anyway. Perhaps he feels safe now that he's got a confined space, but that's big enough to move around. I've moved my balloon molly about 4 days ago from a 3G hospital tank (she was recovering from an infection) to a 39G, and she now spends her time in the corner, looking scared. Maybe she'll improve, but all am saying is it's not necessarily a bad thing that he is in a 3G.

He wasn't even in a vase. A vase would have been an upgrade from what he was in. He has never in his life been in anything larger than about 3 ounces of water. Anything big enough to allow him to stretch out his fins and swim forward and up and down would make him very happy. He wasn't scared in the new bowl but he seemed amazed and needed a few minutes to take it all in. He didn't even know what to do at first. He had never been allowed to swim forwards. It would be like being tied to a chair all your life and then being set free and told to walk.

The only thing is it's a bit of a shame with the restricted volume is that he can't have an ornament in there (not one he'd fit under). Maybe Timg could suggest how to custom-make one!

He's got an ornament in there now and a smaller silk plant. It's a rock type ornament with space under it for him to hide like a cave. There is also a big fake snail on the ornament and as soon as he saw it he went right up to the snail's face and flared at him. ;D He's just letting him know who's the boss of the bowl.

I think it's fabulous that your neighbour was nice about the fishbowl and offered it immediately.

I think it was a real stroke of luck! Rocky would have been living in a bucket all this week otherwise since I had nothing else to keep him in except a 1 gallon Kritter Keeper and that's too small to heat.

Amnagrla
Wow!! What an incredible story!!

I love the name. I was trying to look up some when I was reading the beginning of this post but by the end.. lol, you obviously have it worked out.

I can't WAIT for some more pictures!!

COBettaCouple
I don't understand how people like her have such an empty heart towards animals either.

it's great that he ended up in a loving Betta home though.. I feel like they appreciate the rescue in their own way. little Sweetie is such a ball of energy and so happy and I think part of that is her happiness at not being stuck in a dirty cup with torn up fins and scales. I bet Rocky feels that for you and remembers that you saved him from his unhappy prison.

we look forward to more pics of Rocky too.

Phloxface
I woke up this morning to find Rocky's tail and part of his analfin shredded. He had some gross looking fin tissue at the ends of both fins that looked kind of clear (but not like healthy cellophane fin tissue) and stretchy like a thin balloon. It looked like dying fin tissue so maybe it's good that it finally fell off. It is only the webbing that fell off not the spines of his fins so it's not a tear, it's finrot. Webbing grows back but the spines (or ribs) of the fin do not so he's still okay. It may be part of the healing process. I am going to continue treating him though to make sure it doesn't get worse. Hopefully now that the yucky parts have fallen off he can regrow some nice healthy tissue. I'll see if I can get a pic of his tail and post it later for comparison.
This is my first experience with finrot other than during Lava's last week, and he had everything failing at that point. I have been very lucky especially since I am alway reading here about everyone else's troubles with finrot. I hope this is not going to be a stubborn case.
The things my fish always seem to come down with are: mild internal bacterial infections, gill infections, gill mites, and the dreaded dropsy The others have always been easy to cure, dropsy is not and a terrible thing to have to watch your pet go through.

COBettaCouple
yea, finrot is something we've had too much experience with. He's in good hands now though, so you can clear it out and get his fins regrown.

Phloxface
Okay here are some pics. I just noticed that even a little of his dorsal fin has fallen off. Only the parts that looked bad to begin with though. I had to use the turkey baster to suck up bits of fin tissue I found floating all over his bowl. I had him on Fungus Clear and it seemed to help but I think I will change to a course of Triple Sulfa now to make sure the bacteria is gone and the rot doesn't spread. He's getting lots of vitamins in his food and water every day and Seachem Garlic Guard with his evening meal to strengthen his immune system. I'm adding an airstone too to help keep things circulated. He doesn't have a filter yet but I do frequent water changes and use NovAqua+ and AmQuel+ to make sure he is not exposed to ammonia.

Here's the pics. His tail used to have a nice straight edge and you can see how frayed it is now. He's still in good spirits and not acting sick at all.

Tazmiche
ok this may sound odd but I am a nurse and when we get bad pressure sores or ulcers ( on patients not us!!)it is common to lose more tissue making the wound look worse just before the new skin grows so hopefully this is what is happening to Rocky. The body losing the rubbish ready for the new.

Anyway, he is a beauty, makes knowing his story worse seeing him. Well done you for saving him.

Jendayi
It is only the webbing that fell off not the spines of his fins so it's not a tear, it's finrot. Webbing grows back but the spines (or ribs) of the fin do not so he's still okay.

I have seen you say this before and I guess I am a little confused about what you mean. Romeo's dorsal fin was completely gone, almost down to his body. And now it is almost completely healed, long and flowing again. So if I understand you correctly, you think that his fin should not have regrown? The same has happened with Cujo and his tail - huge chunks missing, but they do grow back, rays as well as webbing. I am probably not understanding what you mean... ???

Anyway, I hope your little guy pulls through this and it isn't stubborn at all.

Phloxface
I have read this in many places, that the ribs cannot grow back. Maybe the thinner parts closer to the edge of the fin grow back but the real ribs are the thick ones close to the body. The dorsal fin is mostly webbing anyways. I have never really had a fish with a case of finrot except Lava who died a week later from Dropsy and my first Betta, Phlox, who was already recovering from finrot when I got him.

Tazmiche: I agree, the diseased part needs to come off before the healthy fin tissue can grow in so right now I am not worried. It may "look" like his finrot has gotten worse but I think in fact it is in the process of healing.

Tazmiche
The healing process is amazing I thing in all creatures! I do hope he will be ok......Again blow him a kiss from me.

BTW I had a shipping quote of $94 on an order of$20, have I told you this already? SOOOOO tired from work.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RoseyFlower10
Replies
Views
Galathiel
Replies
Views
VenomousTiger
Replies
Views