Needle nose gar

NicoFord

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
To give you guys an idea how big they get.this is a small one. So if you have an aquarium that big...good on you lol.
It's not a good fish for aquariums

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attachments

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, so definitely too big for a 75. Very cool, though!

NicoFord

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah way to big. It shouldn't even be sold in stores

Tdahl09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Agreed! Fish that big shouldn't be sold for aquarium

Live everyday

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking fish!

They are actually great aquarium fish given the right size tank

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a longnose gar( Lepisosteus osseus) a true gar from the U.S. It grows up to 6ft and over 50 lbs. It is very uncommon in the pet trade. Needle nose gar( Xenentodon cancila) is not a true gar and comes from SE Asia. Grows to 12 inches and is commonly seen in the pet trade.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
slayer5590 said:
That is a longnose gar( Lepisosteus osseus) a true gar from the U.S. It grows up to 6ft and over 50 lbs. It is very uncommon in the pet trade. Needle nose gar( Xenentodon cancila) is not a true gar and comes from SE Asia. Grows to 12 inches and is commonly seen in the pet trade.
Good to know, but from what I have read longnose gar are also known as needlenose gar.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
slayer5590 said:
This is 100% accurate.

The Needlenose is the same Class (Actinopterygii) as Longnose, but thats as far as it goes. Shortnose and Longnose are in the same Genus (Lepisosteus). The Alligator gar is a close relative to the Longnose, they are in the same Family (lepisosteidae). The Needlenose Gar and Longnose Gar are as closely related as the Longnose and Pickerel or Northern Pike.

NicoFord

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks got the great info!

Aloeb1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Once I was looking online and saw a home aquarium with a 9ft arapaima In it. I don't think fish that big should be kept in someone's house.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
slayer5590 said:
As Anders247 mentions, it is rather buyer beware now; not only can the experts not agree on proper binomial names for many fish, vendors do often sell misnamed fish.
You could do a scale count, but that tends to disagree with most fish, as they prefer to remain alive. . rick

peacelizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My friend has one. Not sure of the size but very cool to watch him hunt feeders. Otherwise, not a terribly exciting fish IMHO

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom