Needle fin

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by callaway000, Jul 23, 2015.

1. c

callaway000 Valued Member Member

My guppys top fin is pretty much like a needle. I'm sure he's beyond saving but I'm just curious as I'm wondering if this is something that could affect the rest of my tank or if its just a normal part of dying. He's had the fin like that since last night when I found him struggling to get around.

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like he's clamping his fin down - usually a sign of sickness. What's the pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels of your tank? Have you noticed any discolored patches on him, or a radical change in behavior (other than the clamped fin and sitting on the bottom)? What size tank is he in, and what other animals are in there?

3. OP
    OP
    c

Not sure with the levels. Only discoloration would be on the tail, its faded overtime. Behavior wise, for a couple days he was nipping at the surface. Its a 20 gallon with 6 guppies and 3 zebra danios, a mystery/apple snail and a whole bunch of little black snails that were accidently added with plants. He's an old fish (more than 7 months I've had him, not sure how old he was when I got him) so it might just be old age. He started this last night. One of my fish has ich. I found it odd though that all of my problems started after I did a water change last week.

4. TexasDomer

You can take your water to your LFS or chain pet store to get it tested. Ask for specific readings though, don't let them tell you they're "good" or "fine." Did you dechlorinate your water before you added it?

5. OP
    OP
    c

I could do that. Yes I dechlorinated the water.

6. TexasDomer

Are you treating the whole tank for ich, or did you take out the infected guy? What are you using to treat him?

7. OP
    OP
    c

I'm treating the whole tank using an ich relief bottle from the pet store

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice