Needing to rethink me stocking... 29 Gallon Tank

1. Dark Sky Member Member

Hi all,
    I reported recently about my Neons looking a bit battered, after having a good chat to the owner of a LFS (he also runs the aqua department at the local research university, so I trust his insight), and some keen observation, I've come to the conclusion that my Danios and Neons are not getting on the best. So, I would love some input on where to go from here...

Basically, one or the other has to go. Current stock is: 7xNeon, 6xDanio, 5xWhite Cloud, 3xPeppered Cory. The Corys were only added last night, I plan to add another two or three in a week or so. I've had the Danios longer than the Neons, so feel more attached to them (and they're more exciting to watch), but I'm wondering if the Neons will fit in with my big picture community plans better.

Ultimately I would like a colourful centrepiece (either a larger solo, or a small group), I had been thinking of Platys as a small group, but have since been reading up on GBR's and Dwarf Guaramis, possibly as a solo. Yesterday I saw 'Moss Green Barbs' for the first time, beautiful!

I'd love any advice on just which way to go, or what you would do in this situation. Platys look like they'd make a fun group, but I'm wondering whether the Danios (being about the same size) would detract from their 'centrepiece-ness', and I should keep the Neons instead, using both the size difference and contrasting colours to help the centrepiece stand out?

To sum it up, I guess I'm wondering which will look (and commune) better, a bunch of mid-sized fish with a slightly larger, or slightly brighter centrepiece, or a bigger bunch of small, bright fish to contrast with a larger, colourful centrepiece? At the end of the day, either the Danios or Neons will have to go, but which ones??!!!

The tank in question:
    [​IMG]

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I'm confused right now--what temperature is this tank set to? You've got two different groups here basically: tropical fish and temperate fish. I would myself keep the neons and Cories at about 25°C to 28°C and the Danios and white clouds at about 20 to 22°C. Platies are actually from a temperate climate, and their pH requirements overlap , so they would do well with the latter, too. I would move the cories with the neons, to a community tank where they could be with other fish that have similar requirements.

German blue rams can be quite demanding, so you should think very hard about what you're willing to take on and research them fully.

As for gouramis, there are many kinds with different aggression levels and water needs. If you can keep your water parameters very good and pH a little lower, a couple of honey gouramis would look adorable in a 29 gallon with a cloud of neons and Cory snuffling below. But I have to warn you that honeys are very sensitive, and I could not keep them alive some years ago before I understood how they need softer water. Pristellas are much easier and you can put in a school with a nice pale golden color.

3. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'd probably keep the danios.

Is the tank temp correct at 16 C? (So 60 F) That seems low for Neons - keep reading 21C is the low end for them.

With those temps, I'd avoid the GBRs because they like it warmer - like up to 80F (so almost 27C). The Platies would be okay with the 18C. Dwarf Gouramis also like it warm... like 25C on the low end.

Just something to consider. :)

*edit* Oops, took a long time to post. But love that we had the same wavelength on the temperature of the tank.

4. Dark Sky Member Member

Hmm, it would seem your confusion is infectious! Now I'm confused :p this tank sits around 21-22, which (I have been lead to believe...) is the low, but still comfortable, end for Neons, but a nice temp for White Clouds, Danios and Peppered Cory. I chose the Peppered Cory over others because it suits the lower temperature. If what you say about the Neons is correct, then I guess that answers my questions for me, they'll be the ones to go.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't done nearly enough research yet, I only considered them because I had always assumed they were aggressive (the name perhaps?) and was surprised to read that was not the case.

After reading about GBR's being passive, I went on to read more about different Gouramis, another breed which I had always assumed were super aggressive, I was very interested to read of a few which weren't too bad. I'd never seen the Dwarves in person until they were lined up next to the Moss Green Barbs yesterday, very impressive!

However, as great as it is if I can find ones which aren't bullies, if they're not compatible with my current tank climate, then they're obviously not an option. We have quite hard water where I am, but my tanks manage to stay a little softer and have a stable PH of 7.3

...Back to Platys I guess!

5. Dark Sky Member Member

It just occurred to me (still on the topic of stocking, so I'm not hijacking my own thread :p), I put three small Cory in a few days ago, planning to add another two or three in a couple weeks, HOWEVER, since two (2.5") goldfish just moved OUT of that aquarium, there should be more than enough BB to add the rest of those Cory right away, wouldn't there?

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'd say as long as you have 0 ammonia right now that it probably wouldn't hurt as you'll be just a little over what stock you had before if you recently moved the goldfish out.

7. Dark Sky Member Member

That's what I was hoping, these Cory are only fairly small... Currently have 0 ammonia and nitrites, about 10 nitrates

8. escapay Well Known Member Member

Then I'd say go for it. :)

9. Dark Sky Member Member

The more evenings I spend watching my fish, the more I'm starting to like this idea. At the moment (putting climate needs aside for a second) there are too many middle-sized fish in this tank! Cory, Clouds and Danios, all similar sizes, and similar colours. Neons, Corys and Goirami would give a nice small-medium-large spread (relatively speaking). Even the idea of Platys or Endlers is more appealing with small fish as the 'background' rather than Danios (and it turns out Prof Endler lives just down the road from me!).

I'll be honest, the Neons hadn't really excited me, I got them because I remember having a friend breed them as kids and loved the way they schooled, mine just took off in all directions and did their own thing! I don't know whether it's the fin-nipping (which seems to have slowed down now), or the reduced plant cover, but they've been hanging out together a bit more since redecorating. I have entertained the idea of Rummy Nose, I love the way they school, but that brings me back to the 'too many middle sized fish' dilemma again.

I still hesitate because it would be a real shame to lose the Danios, they certainly are entertaining. Perhaps I need to get out the food colouring and make some DIY glo-fish as a centrepiece :p

10. Dark Sky Member Member

When I first started my thread on my tank setups, someone suggested a blackwater... Neons+Gourami+Cory=Blackwater community... Might make time to pop by the LFS and have a word with them this afternoon.

11. Dark Sky Member Member

Well, my Danios have found a new home, they're being collected tomorrow afternoon... I'm actually a bit sad to see them go :( at least they're going to a good home, in a bigger tank. One day, when I get a longer tank, I'll definitely get some again!

12. Coolipodmom Initiate Member

Danios should go. Just my opinion, mine are driving me crazy, swim too fast. :)

Coolipodmom

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

This thread is almost 2 years old..... :eek:
    Not sure why it hasn't closed on it's own yet. Lucy