Needing To Rehome Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nicole B, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

So we thought we were doing good by upgrading our 10 gallon to a 20 gallon with our 5 mollies. I was told a 20 gallon would be fine. They have been fine for a few months until now. Constant chasing and nipping. We are most likely going to rehome them all and restock our tank appropriately as one of our fish has gotten hurt because of this. It is going to be really hard because we love them but we can’t get a bigger tank because we aren’t supposed to even have fish in the first place and I don’t want them to be constantly stressed with the little room that they have.

My question is what are appropriate fish for a 20 high. I also do not want to raise fry anymore. So wanting mostly either all females or all males. Which I know if I get females I might end up with fry again anyways

Do not want to hurt our fish again so any advice is appreciated or the link where I can find the 20 high stocking.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

One of the reasons the upgrade didn't work out is because they need tank length not height. So a 20 long would of been better. But they recommend 30 gallons for mollies.

I'm not sure if this is correct but I think what suits a 20 high is the same as what you can put in a 10 gallon cuz they're the same length

But also important to look at is what are the genders of your mollies? It could be an incorrect gender ratio causing agression. Live bearers need to be kept at all one gender or 1 male to 2 females min otherwise there's some issues with agression and possibly breeding a female to death.

3. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

I know! Idk why we didn’t go with the long. Ugh. :(
    2 females 1 male for the adults. I can’t tell still what gender our 2 4 month old guys are. Thinking female /: not sure if they are fully grown yet to beable to tell
    what sex they are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice