Needing Help To Figure Out How To Help My Betta Fish

raila lee
Hello my name is Raila Lee I’m new here and have gotten a really sweet Betta I named Rey. My Betta is a Crowntail male Betta fish and I just began to worry. He has these little bumps on his pelvic fin I never noticed before and it also curled a slight bit. I’m worried because he’s the first fish I’ve ever owned. I change his water once a week and make sure to use Aquasafe to treat his water before I place him back in. The only thing that has changed was I bought marimo plants and placed them in with him. I rinsed them before I placed them in with him. He’s been pretty normal such as with is appetite and been very active. He’s not lost his aggression and he’s still making a bubble nest. I’ve been doing a ton of research to help him but I’m stumped and need a lot of help. Please help me I really need some peace of mind how I can help him I don’t want to lose my little guy.

CanadianJoeh
Hi, Welcome to Fishlore!

1. Before we can help you, we need to know:
  2. Tank size?
  3. Water Temp?
  4. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?
  5. How much are you feeding daily?
  6. Could we see a picture of the bumps you're talking about?

raila lee
Tank size is a gallon
I feed him four times a week
About the nitrogen not familiar with it
As for the picture that was about as good as I could catch him because I could fully catch with out swimming away from me

As for the water temperature is roughly about 72 degrees

Attachments

• 5D798DE6-058C-4414-A073-BBAACBC6233E.jpeg
    5D798DE6-058C-4414-A073-BBAACBC6233E.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 99
CanadianJoeh
Could you perhaps draw on arrow pointing at what you're talking about?

Unfortunately, 1 gallon is MUCH too small.

Bettas require a minimum of 2.5 gallons, with a filter and heater, with water around 78-82 degrees F.

The VAST majority of diseases can be traced back to water quality. At 1 gallon, and I assume unfiltered, the water quality is quite poor and it often results in health problems.

I'd advise picking up on inexpensive 3 to 5 gallon aquarium with a filter and a heater. This is a necessity if you want to ensure optimal living qualities for your Betta, and if you want to avoid premature death.

Also, you should read up on the nitrogen cycle ASAP!

It is a crucial part of fishkeeping.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, we are all here to help we all started somewhere!

My apologies for inundating you with messages

raila lee
The blue circle is what I was most concerned about I want to make sure he’s healthy I’m a bit nervous now about all of this

Attachments

• 08357CE5-C628-4230-9517-A1F4054518BF.png
    08357CE5-C628-4230-9517-A1F4054518BF.png
    347.8 KB · Views: 86
CanadianJoeh
The blue circle is what I was most concerned about I want to make sure he’s healthy I’m a bit nervous now about all of this
I can't say I see bumps, it seems more like different-colored spots...

Like I said though, your fish won't stay healthy for long in a gallon bowl

raila lee
Is that a bad thing ? I’m sorry I’m not trying to be ignorant but I was a bit concerned

CanadianJoeh
Is that a bad thing ? I’m sorry I’m not trying to be ignorant but I was a bit concerned
Most Bettas change color over time.

Did you get a chance to read my other comments?

raila lee
I’m actually wanting to get him a bigger tank in a few weeks and the heater as well. Do filter hurt Bettas ?

CanadianJoeh
I’m actually wanting to get him a bigger tank in a few weeks and the heater as well. Do filter hurt Bettas ?
No! Not at all! Filters are essential for all fish.

Heaters as well, for most.

Here are my basic suggestions for you :

Get a 2.5 gallon + tank, keep your water at 78-82 degree F, read up on the nitrogen cycle, cycle your tank, do weekly water changes of around 30%, and your Betta should live a long, happy life.

raila lee
I read about the nitrogen cycle. I’m shopping around for the tank. Thank you for your help it put my mind at ease.

CanadianJoeh
I read about the nitrogen cycle. I’m shopping around for the tank. Thank you for your help it put my mind at ease.
We're always here to help!

raila lee
Thank you

JB92668
it looks to me that your betta is really fine but u do need a bigger tank and test kits btw cool tats

SegiDream
Agree with most of what was already said.

Since you are going to buy new stuff, thought I'd make a couple recommendations. Bettas may not like a strong flow from the filter, so you may want to look for a filter with adjustable flow. The same goes for the heater. There are many kinds of heaters to choose from. Preset heaters should be fine for a betta, but it is nice to have an adjustable heater to change the temp setting as you wish.

FYI. You have more options available at chain stores and more room for these accessories with a larger tank like a 5 or 10 gallon size tank. And happy shopping, your betta will appreciate these changes in the long run.

cara89
HI there, looks like everyone answered your questions. My best advice is don't panic and I'm the queen of panic sometimes. Just remember to wait a little, sometimes it will resolve itself.

2nd read up on betta diseases. If those were to spread I would have thought maybe ich, but I don't think that's it. And make sure to stock up your fishy med cabinet just in case you do have a problem.

3rd. Sometimes betta can have a genetic problem which isn't talked about much. Usually because people who supply chains stores don't bother to really keep them from crossing tail types or inbreeding. Like goldfish sometimes betta look deformed or have internal deformities. Bumps and misplaced scales, Swim bladder problems, ect.

That doesn't mean that your betta is affected but it's knowledge to keep in mind.

So when to worry? If he exhibits any sick betta signs like gasping, floating/sinking, not eating, bottom sliding, stress stripes, aggression or not moving, bloating/pine cone appearance, I'd get more concerned.

But his color looks good and those maybe just little imperfections or shiny scales. It's difficult for me to tell. Either way just relax and move him into that new tank as soon as you are able to.

He'll be ok in the bowl for now. I do recommend a live plant in the new tank and a filter you can control flow with. Someone recommended a biomaxx nano HOB filter to me and I love it. Just make sure to put a pre filter foam over the intake so the betta doesn't get stuck! There's other filter types as well and even some diy options you can find on YouTube. The KingofDIY, Joey, has whole videos on diy fish tank projects.
The best of luck to you!

raila lee
it looks to me that your betta is really fine but u do need a bigger tank and test kits btw cool tats
Thanks I’ll be getting him one

Agree with most of what was already said.

Since you are going to buy new stuff, thought I'd make a couple recommendations. Bettas may not like a strong flow from the filter, so you may want to look for a filter with adjustable flow. The same goes for the heater. There are many kinds of heaters to choose from. Preset heaters should be fine for a betta, but it is nice to have an adjustable heater to change the temp setting as you wish.

FYI. You have more options available at chain stores and more room for these accessories with a larger tank like a 5 or 10 gallon size tank. And happy shopping, your betta will appreciate these changes in the long run.
Thank you

HI there, looks like everyone answered your questions. My best advice is don't panic and I'm the queen of panic sometimes. Just remember to wait a little, sometimes it will resolve itself.

2nd read up on betta diseases. If those were to spread I would have thought maybe ich, but I don't think that's it. And make sure to stock up your fishy med cabinet just in case you do have a problem.

3rd. Sometimes betta can have a genetic problem which isn't talked about much. Usually because people who supply chains stores don't bother to really keep them from crossing tail types or inbreeding. Like goldfish sometimes betta look deformed or have internal deformities. Bumps and misplaced scales, Swim bladder problems, ect.

That doesn't mean that your betta is affected but it's knowledge to keep in mind.

So when to worry? If he exhibits any sick betta signs like gasping, floating/sinking, not eating, bottom sliding, stress stripes, aggression or not moving, bloating/pine cone appearance, I'd get more concerned.

But his color looks good and those maybe just little imperfections or shiny scales. It's difficult for me to tell. Either way just relax and move him into that new tank as soon as you are able to.

He'll be ok in the bowl for now. I do recommend a live plant in the new tank and a filter you can control flow with. Someone recommended a biomaxx nano HOB filter to me and I love it. Just make sure to put a pre filter foam over the intake so the betta doesn't get stuck! There's other filter types as well and even some diy options you can find on YouTube. The KingofDIY, Joey, has whole videos on diy fish tank projects.
The best of luck to you!
I’ll keep that in mind. He’s been active and he actually has his big appetite. So I won’t worry anymore. Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
  • Question
Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
JuDom
  • Question