need your thought's Question

1. Lexar169 Member Member

Could someone recommend a good predator tank setup?

2. pepetj Well Known Member Member

What tank size are you thinking of?

Some predators grow huge so the tank size would be my starting point.

The thing is to read as much info you can about your tank size compatible candidate species so you learn about their natural habitats and try to recreate that without aiming at impossibles. Their natural diets is also important to consider.

I keep a small shoal of wild caught Opossum Pipefish. When I started I only had males and provided them with a low-end brackish environment. Since I got females (a month ago) I began slowly to turn it into FW. I am doing this because male specimens have been reported living in low end brackish environments but not females, which stay upstream (it is the male who gets pregnant and travels down the stream to release the larvae close to intertidal areas. The fry is mostly found at or near shore protected by floating sargassum).

I have two native Endler guppies breeding tanks where I get quite young fry that I feed heavily on Spirulina and when available (scarce down here) FW vitamins. At one week old they are ready to become food for the Opossum Pipefish (this food I give once a week) I have gone two weeks without fry but this supply re-starts easily. I also keep two FW tiny crustaceans farms in cycled yet small tanks of infusoria (green water). I fed this two farm tanks with sprinkled Spirulina based food. I pour one cup of this green water into the display tank every other day.

So the set up for predatory species is limited, in my opinion, by the tank size and the ability we have to keep healthy and readily available sources of live food for them.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. Lexar169 Member Member

I'm planning on getting a 55g hopefully in the near future.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

How about a couple JD's? They omnivores, but I would still consider them a predator.

5. btate617 Well Known Member Member

I don't know a lot about them but what about a species of Bichir, I know some of the species stay fairly small.
    If you were getting a bigger tank a wolffish would be awesome.
    leaf fish are pretty cool.
    I know there are a couple of pike species that stay on the smaller size, although I don't know the names off hand, when I have more time I will look them up.

Brian

6. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I used to have some red devils in a 40 gallon tank. Mine were almost a glowing orange color and they are predators to the max.

7. Lexar169 Member Member

red delves and JD sound cool. I'd go bigger then 50g but i live in a small apartment and don't have much money. just a few days ago i got some aeration for my 10g. and the 10g tank was a gift :)~

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you are only going 50g, i wouldnt combine the jds and red devils..thats not enough space for both ...the devils will reak havoc on them and torment them to death

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I absolutely agree.

You could try a JD and one other cichlid of similar size, such as a severum or blood parrot.

10. Lexar169 Member Member

Oh i didn't mean it in that way. i men't they both looked neat and alot of fun...i didn't mean to come off like i was going to put them together. 1.5 min of reasearch told me that lol i live all over this site. i printed out a few articals and im going to try and memorize them as best i can