Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Your Opinion. Apistogramma Not Eating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Herrwibi, May 16, 2019.

1. Herrwibi Valued Member Member

Need your opinion.

So I've noticed a few things happening in my tank lately . My aspitogramma fire red has been hiding alot more in the pvc caves and doesn't look like he's eaten . I've placed food right Infront of him but nothing . Pictures to follow . I do think he may have a sunken belly which I know is an internal parasite or bacteria.

My killifish (northo red) seems to have a dull patch on the top of his body . It almost looks like velvet but it's just a dull patch . Any recommendations?

It's very hard to see my aspitogramma. Maybe it's not a sunken belly and more because he's not eaten but he's normally out and about. Any ideas and medications to use ?

Everyone else in my tank seems perfectly fine .

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

The first thing you need to do is test your water and rule out water quality issues. (just because some fish seem fine doesn't mean the water quality is on point, some fish are just hardier than others)

Can you please test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for us?

3. Herrwibi Valued Member Member

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrites = 0
    Nitrates = 70

I have not long EI dosed.

I suspect the killifish may have TB. The discolouration on the top of the skin and he has become very skinny pretty quick. cant see any ulcers . He is still swimming and eating though.

My aspitogramma is still laying on the bottom up right not really swimming.

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

70 is very high for nitrates. I would try and cut that number in half at the very least.

Hopefully someone can ID if they have an illness or not. I can't help you there.

5. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

Fire red does not look good.
    Besides stunted originally a little thin .
    I sent my pair to @KingD and eventually the female died I believe looking much the same .
    So if it is a general way this is received I would start with worming . I might get right on to levamisole ,possibly fenbendazole or flubendazole [one needs to be eaten the other absorbed like levamisole ]. I see what you see on the killi but have no idea yet ?
    You need to get your trates down like liz said ..Change some water .

6. KingD Fishlore VIP Member

My female did the same thing before I had to put her down. In my experience, once they have sunken bellies, its very hard to get them to bounce back from that

7. Jellibeen Well Known Member Member

I agree about using levemisole. Do you know where your apisto came from? They are common carriers of camallanus worms, especially when wild caught.

Edit: i’m not saying it is camallanus because you haven’t seen them, but if it is then levemisole will take care of it.