Need urgent help

1. AndrewJ54

AndrewJ54 Valued Member Member

So I have a tough decision to make my Molly that is in my 35 gallon tank that just recently went through a nitrite spike is now looking very ill. He is laying at the bottom of the tank and is gasping for air, gills are very inflamed and red and he barely moves and only comes up for food every now and then. I have no idea what to do, should I move him into my 55 gallon that isn't cycled? I'm not sure if he is to far gone to help or if there is anything I can do to try and improve his condition. I'm really upset with myself for letting it get this bad and I'm just hoping there's something I can do. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Is the 35 cycled now or? The best treatment is keeping his water extremely pristine so he can heal. Do you have Prime? It can detox ammonia and nitrite to keep burns from happening.

3. OP
    OP
    AndrewJ54

The 36 is cycled and I am dosing with prime but I didn't realize I should've been dosing until it was to late. The levels in the 35 are 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and like 40 nitrates. I'm going to do a water change when I get home to reduce nitrates.

4. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yes do a 50%-75% water change now to lower nitrates and then you should be on a weekly schedule since it's cycled now. But, I would continue monitoring ammonia and nitrite just to make sure nothing spikes again. And just to keep water super clean you might do a 25% water change every 3-4 days to give him fresh water?

That's all I can think of. A more experienced member might have something to add.

5. OP
    OP
    AndrewJ54

I'm most likely going to do two water changes a week to make sure it is very clean for the poor guy.

6. l

lea1 New Member Member

I dont know about mollies but my goldfish was "there" - huge water changes - two a day - Prime Prime Prime - he made it! Again, I know nothing about mollies but the water is key.
    good luck molly and andrewj54

7. OP
    OP
    AndrewJ54

Thank you, I'm going to do all I can for him.