Need urgent help with my Honey Gourami!!!

• Thread starter jiorio1216
  • Start date

jiorio1216

Hello everyone. I need help! I just got two honey gouramis for my 20 gallon high three days ago and they were doing great. They are with zebra danios and seemed to be doing great. All of the sudden, today, one of my gouramis simply could not swim out of nowhere. I am assuming it is swim bladder. I did an epsom bath for 10 minutes then one with less salt for another 5. I don’t think it has done anything for him. I don’t have a QT yet so I have him in a bucket with a gallon of dechlorinated water. All my water params are perfect, I just don’t know where it came from. I am attaching a picture..when he is not trying to swim he is laying on his side and looks dead. What can I do??? Should I put him out of his misery? Should I try for a few days to keep him in this bucket new water everyday?

Attachments

Livebearer08

It seems like a common gourami swim bladder problem. It most likely already had it when you bought it. There’s no cure, and treatment is not very effective. If it appears to be suffering, and only getting worse then I would say putting it down would be the most gracious thing to do. Sorry, hope it gets better. ☹

jiorio1216

Wrench said:
Doesnt this post sound familiar StarGirl15 , lol.
I asked about this as well....you can put all kinds of other stuff in your filter other than the stock carbon cartridges
Livebearer08 said:
It seems like a common gourami swim bladder problem. It most likely already had it when you bought it. There’s no cure, and treatment is not very effective. If it appears to be suffering, and only getting worse then I would say putting it down would be the most gracious thing to do. Sorry, hope it gets better. ☹
I tried to bring him back over to the main tank...but he is still struggling and is just laying on his side in the corner with random spasms. This really stinks, and is disheartening because I feel like I did something wrong. I hate to see him like this, but I guess I’m a bit assured to know that this is a common problem. Seems like every freshwater fish is prone to some sort of disease! I don’t have any clove oil, any other way for euthanasia besides cutting their heads off?

Livebearer08

You haven’t had it long enough for it to be you’re fault. I wouldn’t buy something to put it down. I wouldn’t flush it as they are hardy so they could survive for a little bit, so doing it quick with a knife seems like the best option. Sorry.

Top Bottom