Need Urgent Help With Guppy Babies

1. SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Just bought 9 white tuxedo guppy babies from a pet shop, as they were dying due to some infection in his tank. I have a separate small tank with water from an old tank. Should i add anti fungal drops in it, or salt? Please help ..i don't want them to die

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Can you please post pictures of the guppies? I don't have guppies, but I believe they are salt tolerant, so if you have aquarium salt, not normal table salt, you can add it 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Make sure the salt is entirely dissolved in dechlorinated water before adding. You will likely have to do more than this, unfortunately.
    I see you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, please read up on that as it is vital when caring for young, and any fish, but especially babies. If you have any questions or need a better description I can try and provide you with one.
    A few questions: tank size? Approximate age of the guppies? Type of guppy? And please post pics

3. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Tank size - 5-6 litres
    Number of guppies - 7
    Age - 2 weeks
    Nitrogen cycle - learnt it the hard way, i plan to do water changes on this tank daily though
    Pics - let me try, they r way too small to capture

4. Rtessy

Lol yeah at two weeks I can see it being pretty hard to capture a picture. Also, with a tank that size, I think you'll have to do 50-80% changes daily, sorry you had to learn the hard way, I feel you on that.
    What does the infection look like? What are all of the visible symptoms?

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Just watch them. I put anti-fungual meds (pimafix)in with my new goldfish fry just because the eggs can grow fungus. With the live bearers you shouldn't have to worry about that. I do recommend feeding them a good fry starter food and live baby brine shrimp. Mine love them and they provide so much protien. I was intimidated by the thought but there are instructions on how to make a brine shrimp hatchery using water bottles. Very easy! I use Hikari First Bites and New Life Spectrum Fry Starter. I feed 3 x's/day the first month and then 2 x's/day after. I do daily partial water changes too. Good luck...keep us posted.

They are salt tolerant but use caution with new fry.

Water from an old tank won't do them any good. Not enough bacteria in it. Do you have another tank up and running. If so, you can always put them in a nursery/breeder net or box inside the running tank. That's what I have for 6 baby Platy right now.

6. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Thanks for the input. Can i feed them crushed micro pallets? Or crushed flakes? Sorry but brine etc is not available on my side

Added some salt, and anti fungal drops. Out of 9, 3 died while carrying back home. Sonfar they r swimming well..lets monitor for a while. Thanks everyone for youe time

7. Rtessy

Curshed micropellets should be okay, sorry some were lost, I hope at least most of the rest make it for you.

8. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

You sure can. Just get a good, high quality pellet and crush it.

9. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Thanks. And you are feeding them three times a day? That wont overfeed them?

10. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

With baby fish its far better to feed in multiple smaller quantities than feeding once or twice a day, with larger amounts.

11. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Out of 9 babies, 6 survived. One little fella out of these 6...is sitting at the bottom most of the time...the other five are pretty active. Do you guys think he is ill?

12. Rtessy

I don't know to be honest. Any way to check ammonia/nitrite just in case?

13. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

I will check Ammonia right away. Nitrite tester is still on the way..aaarrghg

14. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

It died :(

15. Rtessy

Dang I'm so sorry. At least you can know that you're doing all you can and that otherwise all of them would have likely died

16. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Wont give up easily on this. Target is to keep the remaining 5 alive at any cost

17. rrbauer96

rrbauer96 Valued Member Member

Thats how I feel with my 6 out of 14 guppy fry that have survived. It seems that feeding several times a day and water changes every other day keep them really active and growing/coloring up quickly.