Need To Update My Stocking...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by RedLoredAmazon, Apr 9, 2017.

1. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone! I had help on here when I first started my 54 gallon stocking list. However, I am having issues with my second school of fish: harlequin rasboras. I bought 3 but they were diseased and the last one just passed away today. Now, I'm not sure if I still want to get them since the LPS said that they were having issues with getting them and keeping them alive! :sour:

Here's my current set up: 9 black neon tetras, 3 false julii cories (not getting anymore for right now, long story!), 5 ammano shrimp, and 3 nerite snails. I was planning on getting 1 bolivian ram and 1 honey gourami. I keep my tank at 75 F. To those that are concerned about the cories, I plan on getting more, but I am waiting since the stores around me are having trouble getting them.

What can I add for my second school of fish for this tank? I really don't want more black neons since they like to hide all the time in my tank.

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Cardinal tetras maybe?

3. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

I've heard that they can be a bit tricky...not sure if this is true or not. Curious to see if I am just limited to tetras or the rasboras.

4. aquatickeeper

Rosy barbs maybe?

5. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Just looked those up on LiveAquaria. Very pretty! Wait....do they really get 6 inches?!?!? Wow! I think that may be too big. Or do you mean cherry barb? I'm not against getting more tetras, by the way, it's just the black neons I don't want more of.

On a side note, I'm guessing my tank is on the cool side since I keep it at 75?

6. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Maybe Lemon tetras?

7. aquatickeeper

Oh, sorry I meant cherry barbs. I always get those two confused

8. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

That's alright! I'll have to take a look at those fish. Have either of you had them before?

9. aquatickeeper

Never had cherry barbs before.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I have cherry barbs currently, they are a great fish and would be fine with what you want.

11. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

So they aren't nippy at all? That would be great then! My black neons are very aggressive; they've been beating up my cories, which is why I have so few now.

12. aquatickeeper

I don't think cherry barbs are nippy, that only goes for tiger barbs.

13. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Oh good! I will need to research them some more. I'm cycling my QT again since I didn't maintain it after the rasboras died. I still wish I could get them but the LPS near me is having trouble keeping them too!

14. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you have had bad luck with your harlequins! That must be frustrating. I have a school and really enjoy them.

My brother has cherry barbs in his tank and they have done really well. They provide a nice splash of color.

15. C

Clay Valued Member Member

I currently have cherry barbs. I would highly recommend them, I love mine. They have so much personality and are very active. Mine aren't nippy, but will hold their own. I have an RTS and a school of Rasbora's as well. When I introduced the RTS it tried to over take the cave the largest cherry barb had taken and she basically put the RTS in it's place. However, now they swim together quite frequently and on very rare occassions I will see them in the same "cave".

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Cherry barbs can be nippy, but only to each other, or if they are in schools of less than 5.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice