Need to treat Hydra?

MercuryTheBlueBetta

I just noticed a couple of Hydra in my tank with 1 Betta and 2 nerite snails. I have planaria zero, treatment for the hydra, but I know I would have to remove my snails and betta and put them somewhere else. As far as I know, there’s nothing in this tank that hydras could hurt/kill, so would it be alright to just not get rid of them? I don’t really want to deal with the hassle of putting my guys in a different tank for the treatment process.

lilirose

Your Betta actually will eat them if he notices them. But no, there is no reason to treat if you don't have shrimp or fish fry in the tank. Usually their presence is considered to be a sign that you're overfeeding.

Upvote 0

MercuryTheBlueBetta

Your Betta actually will eat them if he notices them. But no, there is no reason to treat if you don't have shrimp or fish fry in the tank. Usually their presence is considered to be a sign that you're overfeeding.
Weird, I feed my betta until he stops hovering near the feeding spot, and he just about never lets a piece of food drop. Could there be any other reason? An excess of snail poop, maybe? Dying leaves?

Upvote 0

Cltguy

I'm in a similar boat, I have Hydra, small worms, planaria and who knows what else hitchhiked with the plants in my new tank. A Frye or egg did as well, and now we have a 2 week tetra of some sort and a bunch of pond snails. I wanted to treat and kill them all before adding fish in a few weeks, but how? It's not from overfeeding as I'm not feeding.

Upvote 0

MercuryTheBlueBetta

I'm in a similar boat, I have Hydra, small worms, planaria and who knows what else hitchhiked with the plants in my new tank. A Frye or egg did as well, and now we have a 2 week tetra of some sort and a bunch of pond snails. I wanted to treat and kill them all before adding fish in a few weeks, but how? It's not from overfeeding as I'm not feeding.
Yeah, my shrimp tank had an infestation that I recently killed off, so there’s a chance they spread through cross-contamination? But I made SO SURE not to mix anything between the two tanks because of the chemicals I used in my shrimp tank, so I can’t imagine that’s it. I have a few leaves that are turning yellow so maybe that’s what drew them out? But I thought they ate meat lol I just have no idea

Upvote 0

Cltguy

Yeah, my shrimp tank had an infestation that I recently killed off, so there’s a chance they spread through cross-contamination? But I made SO SURE not to mix anything between the two tanks because of the chemicals I used in my shrimp tank, so I can’t imagine that’s it. I have a few leaves that are turning yellow so maybe that’s what drew them out? But I thought they ate meat lol I just have no idea
I have never dealt with them before, my 30 gallon even had a Chinese algae eater go MIA, I just assumed my **** Cory's ate him up. I also overfeed my Buenos Aires Tetras to slow them from destroying my bamboo (it's the only thing that survives the little piranhas). What chems did you use? I want to have a couple shrimp in the future...

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

My understanding of overfeeding is that it might not just be a question of extra food, but also extra poop. If you feed a fish triple what it needs, there might not be a single missed pellet or flake, but you'll get roughly triple the poop, which may be poorly digested and loaded with removing nutrients to foster some additional life in the tank.

Of course, none of that goes to explain HOW the hydra got there, but that may be a factor in your situation.

Upvote 0

MercuryTheBlueBetta

My understanding of overfeeding is that it might not just be a question of extra food, but also extra poop. If you feed a fish triple what it needs, there might not be a single missed pellet or flake, but you'll get roughly triple the poop, which may be poorly digested and loaded with removing nutrients to foster some additional life in the tank.

Of course, none of that goes to explain HOW the hydra got there, but that may be a factor in your situation.
That makes perfect sense! Thanks so much, I’ll definitely decrease food!

I have never dealt with them before, my 30 gallon even had a Chinese algae eater go MIA, I just assumed my **** Cory's ate him up. I also overfeed my Buenos Aires Tetras to slow them from destroying my bamboo (it's the only thing that survives the little piranhas). What chems did you use? I want to have a couple shrimp in the future...
Yikes! Sounds like fun haha... I got what’s called Planaria Zero on Amazon (it’s an import from somewhere), it took care of them super quickly and I highly recommend having some on hand if you want a shrimp tank. It was a very stressful few days waiting and hoping none of my shrimplets were being eaten! It kills snails and I’m pretty sure fish so I was very careful to keep it separated

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
ninetyinone
Replies
Views
Debbie1986