Need to slim down tanks?

the.whole.crew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have two 20 gallon long tanks that are about 30.25 inches long. I have a bookshelf that they are supposed to go on that is 30 inches long. What should I do? Should I try to sand down the plastic on the sides or the bookshelf itself? They are for leopard geckos, so there won’t be any water or water features. Thank you!

EDIT: If anyone who does not recommend I mess with the shelves or the tank has any links to or suggestions for a rack or stand that can hold two 20 gallon long tanks, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would feel iffy messing with either one for structural support reasons maybe. Try maybe sanding off both sides of the tank and bookshelf to lessen the amount taken from one side on either one. Sorry this isn't super helpful though. To be safe though I probably wouldn't put the tanks on that bookshelf if they won't fit unaltered.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the.whole.crew said:
I have two 20 gallon long tanks that are about 30.25 inches long. I have a bookshelf that they are supposed to go on that is 30 inches long. What should I do? Should I try to sand down the plastic on the sides or the bookshelf itself? They are for leopard geckos, so there won’t be any water or water features. Thank you!
Have you thought about the weight? That would be over 330 pounds (just the water weight) on a bookshelf?

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dunk2 said:
Have you thought about the weight? That would be over 330 pounds (just the water weight) on a bookshelf?
OP says there is no water involved- they are gecko tanks so at most there will be condensation for the geckos to drink from.

OP
the.whole.crew

the.whole.crew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Willj626 said:
I would feel iffy messing with either one for structural support reasons maybe. Try maybe sanding off both sides of the tank and bookshelf to lessen the amount taken from one side on either one. Sorry this isn't super helpful though. To be safe though I probably wouldn't put the tanks on that bookshelf if they won't fit unaltered.
Yeah I’m not sure I feel comfortable with the options, either. I bought the tanks in February, along with substrate and decorations. They had a spot in my dad’s house, but since all the restrictions were put in place, I wasn’t seeing him and they’ve gone untouched. I’m moving the lizards to my mom’s so they get the attention they need (and haven’t been getting), but now I really don’t have much room anywhere besides this shelf. I’m going to weigh my options tomorrow. Thank you for offering your advice!

OP
the.whole.crew

the.whole.crew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dunk2 said:
Like the previous reply said, there won’t be water in the tanks. I originally had the same worry, but my mom pretty much said that if those shelves can handle the tons of heavy books I jam pack them with, they can handle some tanks with a bit of dirt in them. Thank you for your concern!

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No water in the tanks, I wouldn't worry about it. There want be but 1/8 of an inch on either side of the shelve, that is nothing.

New Threads