Need to sift substrates?

yvonnedono

I am thinking about using soil substrate with a small gravel on top (or crushed coral on top). I am used to sifting my substrates quite heavily. Obviously when one is layering their substrate they can not sift the substrate or it will mix all up. And also, with some sort of carpet plant that would make it hard too. My question is, without sifting (cleaning) the substrate, isn't there a big risk of ammonia build up from uneaten food and waste?

wateriswet

By sifting, do you mean vacuuming the substrate with the siphon tube when you do a water change?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

I am thinking about using soil substrate with a small gravel on top (or crushed coral on top). I am used to sifting my substrates quite heavily. Obviously when one is layering their substrate they can not sift the substrate or it will mix all up. And also, with some sort of carpet plant that would make it hard too. My question is, without sifting (cleaning) the substrate, isn't there a big risk of ammonia build up from uneaten food and waste?
For the dirt?? I explained my method of making sure my dirt is suitable, and less likely to do a lot of leaching, in your other thread. :)
I do not understand exactly what you are asking...

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

For the dirt?? I explained my method of making sure my dirt is suitable, and less likely to do a lot of leaching, in your other thread. :)
I do not understand exactly what you are asking...
I think the OP is talking about waste getting trapped in and amongst the substrate which vacuuming wouldn't normally reach, causing anaerobic pockets.

malaysian trumpet snails would help keep that in check if its a concern.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Buy the biggest turkey baster you can find.

Perfect for spot cleaning substrate, puffing sand to prevent gas pockets and gently shift substrate off ornaments etc.

Doesn't bother fish since its very gentle but tough enough to move the hardest to reach poo and any other nasties loitering in the aquarium.

Upvote 0

yvonnedono

By sifting, do you mean vacuuming the substrate with the siphon tube when you do a water change?
yes

Upvote 0

yvonnedono

yes

Upvote 0

wateriswet

You will still vacuum, but only the top layer. I've also seen YouTube's of people swirling the siphon so it stirs up the waste

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PNWBettas
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
CTYankee79
Replies