need to sanitize/sterilize plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckycolt

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys, we need so help. We have a 20 gal tank that has been up & running for 3 years, and just got back from a 5 day vacation. Sadly, when I went to feed our fish this morning all but two of them were dead We removed the bodies, did level tests (even though it didn't give a lot of new info since decay had happened), set up an emergency tank and put the two platies in it. We had completed a 25% cleaning/water refill & testing a couple days before we left and everything was normal for our tank (ph: 7.6 ammonia: b/t 0 & 0.25 nitrites: 0 nitrates: 20) Not perfect, but we never have been able to keep nitrates down.

Our question is how to we clean our plants (if we need to) since there was several dead fish in the water for at least 1 day if not longer. The plants we have: java fern, amazon sword, a moss ball, a huge anubias. Plus few chunks of driftwood. Do we need to clean these while waiting to see how the two survivors do? If we do need to clean them, what would ya'll recommend for us to do so?

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh no! I'm sorry for your losses, that's pretty rough You shouldn't need to clean the plants imo. Since you have the remaining platies in a hospital tank right now I would just do a 100% water change to get any ammonia out. I hope your last two make it!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore and sorry about your losses... any idea how they could have passed on?

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only real question would be about the first fish that passed, imo, after that the ammonia would build up and it's just a horrible chain reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom