need to sanitize/sterilize plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by kentuckycolt, Jul 17, 2015.

1. k

kentuckycolt New Member Member

Hey guys, we need so help. We have a 20 gal tank that has been up & running for 3 years, and just got back from a 5 day vacation. Sadly, when I went to feed our fish this morning all but two of them were dead :( We removed the bodies, did level tests (even though it didn't give a lot of new info since decay had happened), set up an emergency tank and put the two platies in it. We had completed a 25% cleaning/water refill & testing a couple days before we left and everything was normal for our tank (ph: 7.6 ammonia: b/t 0 & 0.25 nitrites: 0 nitrates: 20) Not perfect, but we never have been able to keep nitrates down.

Our question is how to we clean our plants (if we need to) since there was several dead fish in the water for at least 1 day if not longer. The plants we have: java fern, amazon sword, a moss ball, a huge anubias. Plus few chunks of driftwood. Do we need to clean these while waiting to see how the two survivors do? If we do need to clean them, what would ya'll recommend for us to do so?

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

No need to clean plants. change the water in the meantime dead bodies can give you an ammonia spike.

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Oh no! I'm sorry for your losses, that's pretty rough :( You shouldn't need to clean the plants imo. Since you have the remaining platies in a hospital tank right now I would just do a 100% water change to get any ammonia out. I hope your last two make it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    k

kentuckycolt New Member Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore and sorry about your losses... any idea how they could have passed on?

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The only real question would be about the first fish that passed, imo, after that the ammonia would build up and it's just a horrible chain reaction :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice