Need To Remove And Park Java Moss Outside The Tank For A While - Basic Requirements?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by JenC, May 9, 2019.

1. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

I've let it run amok in my tanks to put in a new tank I'm setting up but it's too out of control now. I need to take it out and keep it somewhere else for a little while.

Any suggestions for the simplest setup to keep it going?

I've got a small air pump filter running in a bucket with cycled media (getting regular ammonia doses) but it doesn't get any light. I could put the moss in there and put a desk lamp over it. Or I could split that airline to add an airstone in a bowl or 2.5g tank, maybe dosing household ammonia and/or Seachem Flourish to feed the moss.

2. LeahsTank

LeahsTankValued MemberMember

I’ve tossed extra just in an uncycled 1/2 g qt tank with no air or filter. It lived just fine. Once I transplanted it to my new tank, it is thriving to the point I have to toss some on the regular.

So, my best answer? Java moss and water. As long as you don’t keep it in a dark closet, you should be fine.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! I wasn't sure it could survive that way. I appreciate the info. :)

4. LeahsTank

LeahsTankValued MemberMember

Sure... Just keep in mind I have a black thumb. If it doesn’t raise its head on my plants, yours’ may be the ones to suffer. ; )