Need To Raise Ph

Discussion in 'pH' started by Heron, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +196
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have a tank of guppies that has been having problems which I think is related to a drop in pH. I have previously had a stable pH of 7.6 to 7.8 by using kH up to keep a kH of 5 to 6. Now My pH has dropped to 7 despite the kH staying at 5 to 6 . I have tried using API pH up but this has no effect whatsoever even when I use a second dose. My fish are getting I'll. I thought the buffering effect of the kH should prevent pH drops. Has anyone got an explanation of this?. Thank you in advance.

2. Ronniethewitch

RonniethewitchValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +406
    Experience:
    1 year
    It's very important to find the cause of the drop because stable ph is more important than getting it exact. Fish will adapt to a stable ph level even if it's slightly out of recommended levels for your breed. Until you find the cause for the drop I know bicarbonate of soda will make your ph rise, very little required. But from what I understand fluctuations in ph are more damaging in the long run so don't really recommend it.

3. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,876
    Experience:
    2 years
  4. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +196
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Baking soda raises the kH which in turn should raise the pH. Untill now I have been using kH up to keep the kH around 6 - 8 which had kept the pH at 7.6 to 7.8. in the past when the pH has dropped it was because the kH had dropped. The problem now is the KH is normal but the pH has dropped. For some reason the kH isn't buffering any more. I have decided to follow the old fish keeping rule, if in doubt do some water changes.

5. wintermute

wintermuteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +170
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You probably should check that your source water hasn't changed in pH. Sodium bicarbonate in my experience is not a great way to deal with plunging pH. It will likely cause big swings and only be effective for a short time.

I'd also recommend some crushed coral in the filter. About a handful should do the trick.

Tony.

6. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +350
    Experience:
    2 years
    in my opinion id stop messing with the ph and kh and see what happens, unless uve already done that? Just a shot in the dark here but adding kh up and ph up or what not all the time may not be great for the fish in addition to the swings. Did u have ph swings before u started with the kh up? Agree with above too, check ur source waters ph.

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,749
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This is always my first recommendation when I observe a problem. If you aren't already doing so I highly recommend weekly water changes but let you numbers be your guide.

Before I would even consider adding something from a bottle to regulate anything in my tank I would try to find a natural way to fix a problem if there is one. In my case I have crushed coral chunks and seashells in my tanks to stabilize my PH. I have soft water and these items add a bit of hardness.

A stable PH is much more important than a specific number.

8. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +196
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I change 25 percent of the water weekly. Before I started adding KH up my pH kept dropping. My tap water is very soft and often acidic at present it's as follows pH 6.5 - 6.8, KH 0-1 ,GH 3-4. Without adding KH up all my tanks got more and more acidic. I have been adding KH up to all for a long time and the pH has been stable up to now.

9. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,749
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It sounds like what you have been doing has been working for you up until now. I can't even venture a guess as to why it is no longer working.

You may need to do larger water change. I do no less than 30% and often 50% water changes each week in my 55 gallon tank. The smaller tanks get no less than 50% and often 75% water changes each week.

Larger water changes may help get your PH back on track. Most problems in a tank can be helped by doing water changes. You are doing them but may not be doing enough.

10. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +196
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks everyone. I will increase my water changes and try to find somewhere localy where I can get crushed coral.

11. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,749
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you can get the chunks of coral just add a handful of it to your filter if possible and add more if necessary. If there is not enough room for it try to situate it under the output of your filter so it has water running over/through it.

If your end up getting the finely ground crushed coral (aragonite) start with just a couple of tablespoons of it and work up from there.

Good luck. Hopefully the larger water changes and the CC will solve this problem.

12. wintermute

wintermuteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +170
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I haven't seen the ground up crushed coral, I'm going to have to start saying chunks of crushed coral

I had the same problem with soft water and continually dropping PH with my goldfish. A handful of crushed coral chunks in the filter fixed the problem once and for all. ph has been stable at around 7.5 for three or four years now

Tony.

13. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +196
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks for the advice. I will try to get some tomorrow

Become a Fishlore Member