Need To Move 75 Gallon

1. Fishacus

Fishacus New Member Member

I am a single 33 year old woman with (5)10 year old goldfish that way outgrew their 30 gallon tank a while back. I have the money to buy a 75 gallon tank, but have not yet done so because I have no way to physically move the tank from my car into my apartment. Did anyone that does not have any gigsntic young men friends ever run across this problem and know of any professional services that would do this?

Attached Files:

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Its not terribly heavy, how many flights of stairs?

3. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Surely you must have 2 guy friends that can do it for you? Heck, even a couple women could do it.

4. OP
    OP
    Fishacus

No, as I stated it in my above, I do not have strong men friends and There’s no way I can lift 70 lbs. Any ideas on any professional services?

5. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Sometimes the fish stores have services where they come out and take care of your tank. Maybe they can help you. Good luck.

6. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

its actually 140 lbs. You could ask some girlfriends?

7. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

An Aqueon 75g is 98lbs. I carried mine up a flight of stairs by standing it up on one end, chest on the bottom of the tank with my arms wrapped around each side, holding the top lip.

You could try a local moving company that charges by the hour. They'll probably require 2 guys.

8. fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

Ask a neighbor

Sometimes neighbors are happy to help

9. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Ok folks, she just said she doesn't have men to help her and she can't lift it. There is no way in heck I could lift a 98 pound glass aquarium.

When my husband and I got a foam mattress and new reclining bed thing it was heavy and awkward. I have a bad back and carrying it up a flight of stairs was not an option. We called a local moving company and paid $100 for 3 hours and saved hundreds of dollars in medical bills because I didn't hurt my back again and I didn't have to call out any favors or buy pizza and beer for 4 people who may have also injured their backs.

10. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

There are professional aquarium installers. I looked this up in my area (Greater Chicagoland Area) and there were a bunch. Some LFS might deliver. Years ago the owners son helped me move this 6ft tank into a house.

If you live in a small town, I imagine this might be harder to find.

The professional installers I imagine are going to be expensive. I'd personally only use them for bigger tanks. I haven't inquired on actual prices as I'm just at the very beginning stages of planning my tank (and getting money saved for it). I looked it up because I know I can't get enough people to move in a 200g+ tank and I'll likely want professional installers to get it level and hook up sump etc.

If you are comfortable setting the filters and decor yourself, this mover idea sounds good to me. HOB are easy to install yourself.

I'd just make sure they both helped you move it and you had them make sure to help you position it so the tank was level wherever you put it as you're not gonna be able to adjust it yourself.

11. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

I agree about the movers, if you can afford it. I can't lift anymore to help, and my sasquatch of a husband can't handle longer tanks safely by himself. When it comes time to move my 75s and 90, we are calling the local moving company to do it for us. Nice guys, and they are insured against accidents just in case!

12. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Okay, Easy Answer...Join a gym. Either go there and lift weights until your strong enough to do it on your own (hard) or make friends with some of the muscle heads preening in the weight room (easier, but could you still respect yourself?).:p

But seriously, how would you get the tank home? Are you sure that tank fit in your car? The dimensions of a 75g are 48" x 18" x 21", so if you have a SUV it will probably fit, but measure first just to be sure.

Maybe you can pay the guys at the fish store who load it into your car a few bucks to come to your house and take it into your apartment. If not, a mover may be your best bet, but you'd really need to coordinate with them and the LFS so the tank isn't sitting in your car for a week waiting for the movers. So your best solution could be to hire a mover to take it from the fish store to your home.

Best of luck! BTW amazing job keeping 5 goldfish alive in a 30 gallon tank for 10 years!

13. OP
    OP
    Fishacus

Thanks, Dawn. I asked the local store and they said I’m on my own.

14. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

My dude, I know tons of women that could do this without batting an eye (I used to play second row in rugby, I know some strong women). One of the strongest women I know is my mum. She is 64 and a licenced personal trainer. She only weighs abou 130lb and is 5'6" but it's mostly muscle. She's really into weightlifting at moment she can defo deadlift her body weight, but I can't remember what she benchs. She got a bit bored in retirement and decided to increase her fitness.

15. OP
    OP
    Fishacus

Yes I was actually splitting the load in half considering the person helping me on the other side.

Thanks I don’t have any weight lifting women or men small or large as I am new in town without friends. My parents are elderly 75 year olds. My mom sprained her toe doing calf raises.
    I didn’t know a moving company would help me take the tank to my place for $100. I thought the job might be so small they’d charge me a flat fee of something much higher.

16. Mazeus

What country are you in? I assume US by the use of the term apartment? If you are in the UK I may know of some options.

17. OP
    OP
    Fishacus

Thanks! It was a lot of water changes and water tests and they’ve grown the most these past 5 years!! They never pick on each other when they were sick this month, probably since they’ve been together for so long. Believe it or not the 48 inches fits across in my Hyundai Elantra backseat. I definitely don’t want to wait until I can lift 70 lbs since the best I did at my most fit was 50 lbs in my 20s and I also have back problems.

I am in the US in New Jersey

18. Mazeus

I'd ask your LFS they may know of someone who could help install for a fee.

19. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I am just shaking my head at some of the answers you have gotten :D

Some folks don't understand that this is/can be a real problem. A 75 is not only heavy but also awkward, to awkward for one person to carry.

First you need to be sure your renters insurance covers water damage from a tank that big, check with your apartment manager to make sure you are allowed to have a tank that big and if yes then call a moving company. As others have said they are insured so if it gets broken during the move, you are covered.

You will have to have everything ready for it before you get it. Make sure the stand for it is as level as possible so all they have to do is bring it in and set it in place. I've never had to do this so couldn't even venture a guess as to how much it would cost. Call several of them for estimates. Choose to one you feel most comfortable with.

That is all I can think of to do if I were in your shoes.

20. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure a 75g tank isn't going to fit in the back seat of an Elantra.

If you're in Northern NJ (Bergen Co) and not too far away from me, I could help. I also have a pickup truck and a 75g fits in the bed easily.