Need To Move 75 Gallon

Fishacus

I am a single 33 year old woman with (5)10 year old goldfish that way outgrew their 30 gallon tank a while back. I have the money to buy a 75 gallon tank, but have not yet done so because I have no way to physically move the tank from my car into my apartment. Did anyone that does not have any gigsntic young men friends ever run across this problem and know of any professional services that would do this?

NavyChief20

Its not terribly heavy, how many flights of stairs?

DuaneV

Surely you must have 2 guy friends that can do it for you? Heck, even a couple women could do it.

Fishacus

No, as I stated it in my above, I do not have strong men friends and There’s no way I can lift 70 lbs. Any ideas on any professional services?

Dawn Michele

Sometimes the fish stores have services where they come out and take care of your tank. Maybe they can help you. Good luck.

NavyChief20

its actually 140 lbs. You could ask some girlfriends?

DarkOne

An Aqueon 75 gallon is 98lbs. I carried mine up a flight of stairs by standing it up on one end, chest on the bottom of the tank with my arms wrapped around each side, holding the top lip.

You could try a local moving company that charges by the hour. They'll probably require 2 guys.

fish time

Ask a neighbor

Sometimes neighbors are happy to help

Lynn78too

Ok folks, she just said she doesn't have men to help her and she can't lift it. There is no way in heck I could lift a 98 pound glass aquarium.

When my husband and I got a foam mattress and new reclining bed thing it was heavy and awkward. I have a bad back and carrying it up a flight of stairs was not an option. We called a local moving company and paid $100 for 3 hours and saved hundreds of dollars in medical bills because I didn't hurt my back again and I didn't have to call out any favors or buy pizza and beer for 4 people who may have also injured their backs.

Cardeater

There are professional aquarium installers. I looked this up in my area (Greater Chicagoland Area) and there were a bunch. Some LFS might deliver. Years ago the owners son helped me move this 6ft tank into a house.

If you live in a small town, I imagine this might be harder to find.

The professional installers I imagine are going to be expensive. I'd personally only use them for bigger tanks. I haven't inquired on actual prices as I'm just at the very beginning stages of planning my tank (and getting money saved for it). I looked it up because I know I can't get enough people to move in a 200g+ tank and I'll likely want professional installers to get it level and hook up sump etc.

If you are comfortable setting the filters and decor yourself, this mover idea sounds good to me. HOB are easy to install yourself.

I'd just make sure they both helped you move it and you had them make sure to help you position it so the tank was level wherever you put it as you're not gonna be able to adjust it yourself.

wodesorel

I agree about the movers, if you can afford it. I can't lift anymore to help, and my sasquatch of a husband can't handle longer tanks safely by himself. When it comes time to move my 75s and 90, we are calling the local moving company to do it for us. Nice guys, and they are insured against accidents just in case!

jdhef

Okay, Easy Answer...Join a gym. Either go there and lift weights until your strong enough to do it on your own (hard) or make friends with some of the muscle heads preening in the weight room (easier, but could you still respect yourself?).

But seriously, how would you get the tank home? Are you sure that tank fit in your car? The dimensions of a 75 gallon are 48" x 18" x 21", so if you have a SUV it will probably fit, but measure first just to be sure.

Maybe you can pay the guys at the fish store who load it into your car a few bucks to come to your house and take it into your apartment. If not, a mover may be your best bet, but you'd really need to coordinate with them and the LFS so the tank isn't sitting in your car for a week waiting for the movers. So your best solution could be to hire a mover to take it from the fish store to your home.

Best of luck! BTW amazing job keeping 5 goldfish alive in a 30 gallon tank for 10 years!

Fishacus

Thanks, Dawn. I asked the local store and they said I’m on my own.
Dawn Michele said:
Sometimes the fish stores have services where they come out and take care of your tank. Maybe they can help you. Good luck.

Mazeus

DuaneV said:
Heck, even a couple women could do it.
My dude, I know tons of women that could do this without batting an eye (I used to play second row in rugby, I know some strong women). One of the strongest women I know is my mum. She is 64 and a licenced personal trainer. She only weighs abou 130lb and is 5'6" but it's mostly muscle. She's really into weightlifting at moment she can defo deadlift her body weight, but I can't remember what she benchs. She got a bit bored in retirement and decided to increase her fitness.

Fishacus

NavyChief20 said:
its actually 140 lbs. You could ask some girlfriends?
Yes I was actually splitting the load in half considering the person helping me on the other side.

Thanks I don’t have any weight lifting women or men small or large as I am new in town without friends. My parents are elderly 75 year olds. My mom sprained her toe doing calf raises.
Mazeus said:
My dude, I know tons of women that could do this without batting an eye (I used to play second row in rugby, I know some strong women). One of the strongest women I know is my mum. She is 64 and a licenced personal trainer. She only weighs abou 130lb and is 5'6" but it's mostly muscle. She's really into weightlifting at moment she can defo deadlift her body weight, but I can't remember what she benchs. She got a bit bored in retirement and decided to increase her fitness.
Lynn78too said:
Ok folks, she just said she doesn't have men to help her and she can't lift it. There is no way in heck I could lift a 98 pound glass aquarium.

When my husband and I got a foam mattress and new reclining bed thing it was heavy and awkward. I have a bad back and carrying it up a flight of stairs was not an option. We called a local moving company and paid $100 for 3 hours and saved hundreds of dollars in medical bills because I didn't hurt my back again and I didn't have to call out any favors or buy pizza and beer for 4 people who may have also injured their backs.
I didn’t know a moving company would help me take the tank to my place for $100. I thought the job might be so small they’d charge me a flat fee of something much higher.

Mazeus

What country are you in? I assume US by the use of the term apartment? If you are in the UK I may know of some options.

Fishacus

jdhef said:
Okay, Easy Answer...Join a gym. Either go there and lift weights until your strong enough to do it on your own (hard) or make friends with some of the muscle heads preening in the weight room (easier, but could you still respect yourself?).

But seriously, how would you get the tank home? Are you sure that tank fit in your car? The dimensions of a 75 gallon are 48" x 18" x 21", so if you have a SUV it will probably fit, but measure first just to be sure.

Maybe you can pay the guys at the fish store who load it into your car a few bucks to come to your house and take it into your apartment. If not, a mover may be your best bet, but you'd really need to coordinate with them and the LFS so the tank isn't sitting in your car for a week waiting for the movers. So your best solution could be to hire a mover to take it from the fish store to your home.

Best of luck! BTW amazing job keeping 5 goldfish alive in a 30 gallon tank for 10 years!
Thanks! It was a lot of water changes and water tests and they’ve grown the most these past 5 years!! They never pick on each other when they were sick this month, probably since they’ve been together for so long. Believe it or not the 48 inches fits across in my HyundaI Elantra backseat. I definitely don’t want to wait until I can lift 70 lbs since the best I did at my most fit was 50 lbs in my 20s and I also have back problems.

Mazeus said:
What country are you in? I assume US by the use of the term apartment? If you are in the UK I may know of some options.
I am in the US in New Jersey

Mazeus

I'd ask your LFS they may know of someone who could help install for a fee.

mattgirl

I am just shaking my head at some of the answers you have gotten

Some folks don't understand that this is/can be a real problem. A 75 is not only heavy but also awkward, to awkward for one person to carry.

First you need to be sure your renters insurance covers water damage from a tank that big, check with your apartment manager to make sure you are allowed to have a tank that big and if yes then call a moving company. As others have said they are insured so if it gets broken during the move, you are covered.

You will have to have everything ready for it before you get it. Make sure the stand for it is as level as possible so all they have to do is bring it in and set it in place. I've never had to do this so couldn't even venture a guess as to how much it would cost. Call several of them for estimates. Choose to one you feel most comfortable with.

That is all I can think of to do if I were in your shoes.

DarkOne

Fishacus said:
Thanks! It was a lot of water changes and water tests and they’ve grown the most these past 5 years!! They never pick on each other when they were sick this month, probably since they’ve been together for so long. Believe it or not the 48 inches fits across in my HyundaI Elantra backseat. I definitely don’t want to wait until I can lift 70 lbs since the best I did at my most fit was 50 lbs in my 20s and I also have back problems.

I am in the US in New Jersey
I'm pretty sure a 75 gallon tank isn't going to fit in the back seat of an Elantra.

If you're in Northern NJ (Bergen Co) and not too far away from me, I could help. I also have a pickup truck and a 75 gallon fits in the bed easily.

Fishacus

mattgirl said:
I am just shaking my head at some of the answers you have gotten

Some folks don't understand that this is/can be a real problem. A 75 is not only heavy but also awkward, to awkward for one person to carry.

First you need to be sure your renters insurance covers water damage from a tank that big, check with your apartment manager to make sure you are allowed to have a tank that big and if yes then call a moving company. As others have said they are insured so if it gets broken during the move, you are covered.

You will have to have everything ready for it before you get it. Make sure the stand for it is as level as possible so all they have to do is bring it in and set it in place. I've never had to do this so couldn't even venture a guess as to how much it would cost. Call several of them for estimates. Choose to one you feel most comfortable with.

That is all I can think of to do if I were in your shoes.
Thanks, that’s very helpful!

DarkOne said:
I'm pretty sure a 75 gallon tank isn't going to fit in the back seat of an Elantra.

If you're in Northern NJ (Bergen Co) and not too far away from me, I could help. I also have a pickup truck and a 75 gallon fits in the bed easily.
Thanks for the offer! I am unfortunately near Trenton. I measured the tank and the back seat with doors closed and it’s just enough room to fit.

Mazeus said:
I'd ask your LFS they may know of someone who could help install for a fee.
LFS aren’t helping. I guess most people that buy just deal with it like everyone else says on here, with trucks, big strong friends of every gender with reward of beer and pizza.

Cardeater said:
There are professional aquarium installers. I looked this up in my area (Greater Chicagoland Area) and there were a bunch. Some LFS might deliver. Years ago the owners son helped me move this 6ft tank into a house.

If you live in a small town, I imagine this might be harder to find.

The professional installers I imagine are going to be expensive. I'd personally only use them for bigger tanks. I haven't inquired on actual prices as I'm just at the very beginning stages of planning my tank (and getting money saved for it). I looked it up because I know I can't get enough people to move in a 200g+ tank and I'll likely want professional installers to get it level and hook up sump etc.

If you are comfortable setting the filters and decor yourself, this mover idea sounds good to me. HOB are easy to install yourself.

I'd just make sure they both helped you move it and you had them make sure to help you position it so the tank was level wherever you put it as you're not gonna be able to adjust it yourself.
Thank you that is also very helpful!

Fishacus said:
Thank you that is also very helpful!
I don’t see many things going on Regards to professional installation in Bordentown though.

Mazeus

Fishacus said:
LFS aren’t helping. I guess most people that buy just deal with it like everyone else says on here, with trucks, big strong friends of every gender with reward of beer and pizza.
Is it worth buying from a different store? That's pretty poor customer service, I am sure you aren't the only person who has encountered this problem.

mattgirl and the OP, I re-read my post, I didn't mean to suggest that anyone could move it on their own regardless of gender (my mum's strong but she's not wonderwoman), I was just pointing out that women shouldn't be an after thought loads of us are super strong.

DarkOne

Fishacus said:
Thanks for the offer! I am unfortunately near Trenton. I measured the tank and the back seat with doors closed and it’s just enough room to fit.
That's a bit of a hike.

I was thinking that the tank wouldn't slide into the backseat with the doors in the way. Maybe if the front seats were pulled way forward to give you a bit of wiggle room.

You could try Craigslist though there are some weirdos that you might have to watch out for.

Mazeus

Is this store an option Aquarium Delivery & Setup – Fish Hut of New Jersey

Fishacus

Yes, I didn’t expect you to help being that far. I’m not going to do the craigslist thing. Better off trying to find someone insured and willling to help like a mover. I’m not sure if they’d charge me that low a rate for coming out to do that though.
DarkOne said:
That's a bit of a hike.

I was thinking that the tank wouldn't slide into the backseat with the doors in the way. Maybe if the front seats were pulled way forward to give you a bit of wiggle room.

You could try Craigslist though there are some weirdos that you might have to watch out for.[/QUOTE

mattgirl

Mazeus said:
Is it worth buying from a different store? That's pretty poor customer service, I am sure you aren't the only person who has encountered this problem.

mattgirl and the OP, I re-read my post, I didn't mean to suggest that anyone could move it on their own regardless of gender (my mum's strong but she's not wonderwoman), I was just pointing out that women shouldn't be an after thought loads of us are super strong.
I have been the helper more times than I can count when heavy awkward objects have had to be moved so I understood what you were saying. Amazing what a group of women can accomplish when they work together. Sadly it sounds like Fishacus is new to town so hasn't had time to gather enough friends to get the job done.

Fishacus

Yes, I feel that this type of a favor is reserved for friends I’ve known a while. Do not worry about the gender thing. I’m only focused on trying to solve my problem with getting tank from point A to B. Here’s another question. How do I test the tank to make sure it doesn’t leak before I set it up? Would the movers stay while I filled it let it sit for s few hours and see if it leaks, re-empty it and bring it inside?

jdhef

Oh yeah, one other thing...can the floor of your apartment support a 75 gallon tank? Full of water and décor plus the stand and your talking 800+ pounds most likely.

Fishacus

I am on the first floor of a building built in 1964 so I’m hoping it is better quality. I’m going to ask my apartment place before I buy any large tank, but I am trying to plan now before I have to go crazy with that stuff.

DarkOne

Fishacus said:
Yes, I feel that this type of a favor is reserved for friends I’ve known a while. Do not worry about the gender thing. I’m only focused on trying to solve my problem with getting tank from point A to B. Here’s another question. How do I test the tank to make sure it doesn’t leak before I set it up? Would the movers stay while I filled it let it sit for s few hours and see if it leaks, re-empty it and bring it inside?
I tested my 75 gallon in my kitchen floor. I only filled it up 1/2 way for 24hrs. Then I emptied, painted and put on the stand and filled.

Fishacus said:
I am on the first floor of a building built in 1964 so I’m hoping it is better quality. I’m going to ask my apartment place before I buy any large tank, but I am trying to plan now before I have to go crazy with that stuff.
You should be fine. 75 gallon isn't all that heavy for furniture. I would be worried with a 125g or more.

wodesorel

As far as the insurance, I wasn't just talking about damage to the tank, but injury to the people doing the moving. We could ask a neighbor to refer someone from their church who would be willing to help for a few bucks, or ask on the local community BB for some strong dudes to do it for a pack of beer or whatever, but if they don't do it right and slip on the stairs, or drop the tank and end up cut with glass, it's on us to pay for all their medical bills as it would be on our property, and we could still be sued. I don't like to bet on things like that, especially with strangers.

NavyChief20

depending on when you get it I can come down and carry it for you no problem. I'm in CT so its not that bad of a drive.

Lynn78too

wodesorel said:
As far as the insurance, I wasn't just talking about damage to the tank, but injury to the people doing the moving. We could ask a neighbor to refer someone from their church who would be willing to help for a few bucks, or ask on the local community BB for some strong dudes to do it for a pack of beer or whatever, but if they don't do it right and slip on the stairs, or drop the tank and end up cut with glass, it's on us to pay for all their medical bills as it would be on our property, and we could still be sued. I don't like to bet on things like that, especially with strangers.
I was thinking that as well.

When we hired the movers, we paid a flat fee for 3 hours. After they moved our bed, they looked at us and asked us if we needed anything else moved because we paid to have them there for 3 hours and there was still 2 1/2 hours left. I had them move all sorts of ridiculous things that I could normally move (dressers while I vacuumed, an antique sewing machine that weighs a ton). They thought it was hilarious and said it was the easiest job they've ever done. After 2 hours of work I ran out of things for them to do and told them thank you. This was just the movers, this was not renting the truck. They showed up wondering where our moving truck was. Call around and see what you can find. If all you're doing is having them set up the tank, have them bring the stand in too if you can fit them both in the vehicle. Have them stick around while you make sure it's level and then you can have them put the tank up. You can even ask them to move adjust it if you need to without feeling guilty about asking a friend that doesn't really want to help or one that is already huffing and puffing.

DarkOne

Petsmart has a sale on their Marineland 75 gallon with stand and LED for $299 at the store I went to. Interesting, it's $349 online but local flyers show $299.

Fishacus

DarkOne said:
Petsmart has a sale on their Marineland 75 gallon with stand and LED for $299 at the store I went to. Interesting, it's $349 online but local flyers show $299.
Thanks, for that, but since I heard that tank brand is known for leaking I was going to go for the Aqueon tank ensemble for $250. Since I have no clue how I’m going to do this not sure how this will happen anyway.

Alltema00

Go next door and ask a neighbor if they know anyone that can help. They probably have or know some kids that would love to help out for a few dollars. Kids love to make money

DarkOne

That's a better deal on a better tank.

If you're still set on getting it, NavyChief offered to help. Since I'm closer and have a pickup, I can help too if schedules permit. A 75 gallon and stant will easily fit in my truck bed.

Fishacus

DarkOne said:
That's a better deal on a better tank.

If you're still set on getting it, NavyChief offered to help. Since I'm closer and have a pickup, I can help too if schedules permit. A 75 gallon and stant will easily fit in my truck bed.
Thank you, Dark one. I think Navy said I was too far.

DarkOne

Fishacus said:
Thank you, Dark one. I think Navy said I was too far.
Actually, that was me . You're about an hour away so I said it was a bit of a hike but not too bad. I drive my niece to Pitt and back in a day so driving down to Trenton area is easy.

Fishacus

Thanks for the offer, Darkone, but I think it will take more than one man to do the job. I got a quote from ‘all my sons moving and storage’ for $104 for two guys just to get me not counting the fuel surcharge and the time they will spend here while I’m leveling the tank, filling and testing the tank for leaks. So I’d imagine it would be a big bill in the end.

Fishacus

Does anyone know how to prepare for leaks on this huge tank? The aqueon tank that was on sale was taken by someone else and was a 65. I’m hearing terrible stories about marine land aquariums that I just don’t hear about with Aqueon, but $300 for a 75 gallon tank and stand is hard to pass up

DarkOne

I carried my 75 gallon up a flight of stairs by myself. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it'd be. I have a level and some extra shims too.

Fishacus said:
Does anyone know how to prepare for leaks on this huge tank? The aqueon tank that was on sale was taken by someone else and was a 65. I’m hearing terrible stories about marine land aquariums that I just don’t hear about with Aqueon, but $300 for a 75 gallon tank and stand is hard to pass up
You could wait for the DPG sale and get a 75 gallon Aqueon for $90. Amazon has 4' lights for decent prices. I built my own stand so I can't comment on pre-made ones. Maybe Craigslist?

wodesorel

DarkOne said:
You could wait for the DPG sale and get a 75 gallon Aqueon for $90. Amazon has 4' lights for decent prices. I built my own stand so I can't comment on pre-made ones. Maybe Craigslist?
It depends on the store on if they include tanks that large. The onea in driving distance of me have never put a tank over 55 gallons on sale!

NYFishGuy

Checking for leaks: Fill and leave in a place where a leak could happen but not be a huge deal for a few days.
Drain,move to stand and refill.

For help moving tank: Maybe try posting a add on craigslist.
Post the road or cross street you live on and say you'll need someone to come by and help move it needing about 15-30 minutes of their time.
Talk on the phone and set things up so you Call them when leaving the store on the planned day and meet them there so it uses as little of their time as possible.
maybe offer 20-30$. Obviously best for people that live near by and want some quick ez cash.

Fishacus

wodesorel said:
It depends on the store on if they include tanks that large. The onea in driving distance of me have never put a tank over 55 gallons on sale!
I’ve not seen a dollar per gallon sale here in dirty Jersey. I think that 300 is a good price for stand and tank together. I can’t leave the tank outside for days in my apartment community in Trenton. There’s no room and there are too many frisky teenagers looking to break glass.

UglyAsian

A 75 is 48(Short enough), but 18 inches wide, which won't work. I was 12 when I got a 55 with 20-25 pounds of gravel, and my mom helped me move it. A friend could help you move it pretty easy. I also had a second 55 with 10-15 pounds of gravel, decor, and 5 gallons of water in it. My dad helped me move it that time. You don't necessarily need to be too strong. If your elantra is wide enough, you could put it diagnally in the trunk

Fishacus

My back seat from inside and closed is 52 inches. The seat length is 19 inches. My door frame allows enough to push tank through the door. I’m only 5 ft 2 and when I was strong and working out I could lift 50 lbs at my best. I haven’t worked out in 3 years. Sharing the load would mean 70 lbs per person with 140 lbs empty weight.

UglyAsian

It's easier than it sounds. I'm guessing the tank I got with my mom was around was at least 125 pounds. My mom is 5'2 and is 50. I was about 5'3 and could barely deadlift 80 at the time. For reference, I was 12 at that time. I guess the best option is to get 2 of your friends, and lift one on each side, and one in the middle supporting the middle. That would most likely work.

Fishacus

Thanks for the advice but I’m new to town and do not have friends readily available. I believe it’s easier to pay movers to get it from point A to point B, but the cost is high. Plus I have to level the tank while they are on the clock and doing the test fill so it doesn’t leak all over my apartment is another problem. Do you think It’s wiser to sHell out extra money for Aqueon vs marine land? How do I do the test fill?

UglyAsian

Maybe you could get like 2 0r 3 55s or 40 breeders? That seems somewhat the same price. I see double stands with two 55s going for 100-150 in my area sometimes. I also see 55s for 50 regularly, and 40 for 40 breeders. That seems much easier to move, and might be better for your goldies.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom