neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A1F050A7-872D-4E76-80CD-A9408A16B805.jpeg
B73603D2-04AB-4DF0-8800-2E143328A4C6.jpeg
Hello all,

I haven’t been active in the forums for quite a while.
I have started a 15 gallon planted fish tank about 7 months ago. I haven’t experienced any major issues until now. The tank was cycled very quickly by using eco complete as a substrate, filter media from an established tank and tetra safestart.

I currently have 9 cardinals, 3 albino cories (1 inch), 1 honey gourami and recently added 3 rams.

Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. I had 1 ram for 6 months which started getting very thin. (I think some of the frozen bloodworms a fed had parasites). I started dosing seachem paraguard but it died. I couldn’t find the dead fish anywhere! So I assume it was eaten by other fish. Until eventually I found the half eaten dead body. I did a 35% wc and checked my parameters and everything was fine except my nitrates which were about 75ppm (due to the dead fish?). Did another 40% wc and assumed everything was fine. Went ahead and bought a pair of rams just to find a dying cardinal. Removed the fish. I checked it. I squeezed it a bit and omg it was eggbound. A lot of eggs. I knew she was full of eggs for weeks but I didn’t think she could have died from that .

Anw acclimated the rams all good. The female one was breathing very fast. She had her colours etc but was breathing fast and hiding and refusing to eat. She died after 3 days. I I checked my water again and I had 75ppm nitrates. Checked the tap water and it reads 50ppm.

Brought the fish back and they replaced it with another one and bought one more female to spread potential aggression (the male one is a bit dominant but not excessively). One of them is again breathing very fast but is active and eating. I am a bit worried about it.

Long story short I can’t think of anything else that might cause 2 deaths in 2 weeks. I have bought more plants (fast growing ones- hygro and water lettuce) in hope that they will consume some nitrates. But I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to stress the fish too much with WCs. Is there a cheap and SAFE way to lower nitrates? I don’t like adding chemicals. But I can’t have nitrates of 75ppm.

Any advice?

P. S. I use tetra paper test kit. I can’t afford a liquid test at the moment I am afraid.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
One option would be a diy nitrate reactor. You would have to google how.
Wow never heard about that. I read about seachem denitrate but I know t will take weeks to work. (Will t not affect the plants btw?)
I might buy some as a long term solution but I am looking for something I can use to reduce nitrates instantly if possible

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!

I had 40-80ppm nitrates in my tap water until a friend reccomended "Orca Nitra-Guard" to me!! It doesn't use chemicals, just gives a carbon-rich surface for natural nitrate-consuming bacteria to grow on!

You can use one crystal cube per l of water as they reccomend but my using one cube per 2l of water I was able to reduce my nitrates down to about 10-20ppm in less than a month, and now they sit at about 1-2ppm at all times (except after small water changes)

I'm happy to provide more info if you need it but 9/10 would seriously reccomend!!!

(If you don't mind me asking, What blue fish is that on the right?)

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You'll want to do smaller water changes to lower it, probably 10%. If you need immediate change, grab some spring water (I think that's the one that works.... sorry) not distilled because it will have no minerals the fish need. Do water changes partial spring water partial tap until it goes down

bigemrg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tap water has nitrate levels of 50ppm too, and I've used several solutions to combat the problem.

I have an under sink filter made by Pozzani that takes cartridges that reduce nitrate levels considerably. The cartridges need replacing every two to three months but are very effective.

I've also used nitrate absorbing filter material. Both Nitrasafe and NitratEx come in bags that you install in the filter and both bring levels down quite quickly. You can also recharge them several times before you need to replace them.

Hope this helps.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mary765 said:
If you don't mind me asking, What blue fish is that on the right?)
Electric blue ram or electric blue acara. Don't think acaras have red eyes though.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mary765 said:
Hello!

I had 40-80ppm nitrates in my tap water until a friend reccomended "Orca Nitra-Guard" to me!! It doesn't use chemicals, just gives a carbon-rich surface for natural nitrate-consuming bacteria to grow on!

You can use one crystal cube per l of water as they reccomend but my using one cube per 2l of water I was able to reduce my nitrates down to about 10-20ppm in less than a month, and now they sit at about 1-2ppm at all times (except after small water changes)

I'm happy to provide more info if you need it but 9/10 would seriously reccomend!!!

(If you don't mind me asking, What blue fish is that on the right?)
Wow all reviews seem very good for this product. Very difficult to find in the UK though. Might buy from ebay but it will take a few weeks to arrive. Thanks a lot.

The fish is an electric blue ram (a male one). It is a different colour form of the one next to it.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bigemrg said:
My tap water has nitrate levels of 50ppm too, and I've used several solutions to combat the problem.

I have an under sink filter made by Pozzani that takes cartridges that reduce nitrate levels considerably. The cartridges need replacing every two to three months but are very effective.

I've also used nitrate absorbing filter material. Both Nitrasafe and NitratEx come in bags that you install in the filter and both bring levels down quite quickly. You can also recharge them several times before you need to replace them.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. An under sink filter is a big investment LOL. So I take it nitrate absorbing filter media do work (as mentioned above by Mary). I will need to buy some. Denitrate or nitra-guard. Will read some reviews and decide. Denitrate is cheaper and I can have it tomorrow (gotta love amazon prime) but it seems nitra-guard is the best.

bigemrg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
neofyt05 said:
Thank you. An under sink filter is a big investment LOL. So I take it nitrate absorbing filter media do work (as mentioned above by Mary). I will need to buy some. Denitrate or nitra-guard. Will read some reviews and decide. Denitrate is cheaper and I can have it tomorrow (gotta love amazon prime) but it seems nitra-guard is the best.
The Pozzani nitrate filter costs around £30 - not that big an investment!

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rtessy said:
You'll want to do smaller water changes to lower it, probably 10%. If you need immediate change, grab some spring water (I think that's the one that works.... sorry) not distilled because it will have no minerals the fish need. Do water changes partial spring water partial tap until it goes down
YES! How could I not think of this?
I will buy some bottled water until I buy nitrate absorbing media. Thanks a lot!

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Quick update. All of the rams seem fine and are very active. They are breathing a bit rapidly but I think it’s due to the fact that they are trying to establish a pecking order. I have rearranged the tank just a tiny bit to reduce aggression. Here are some photos and a video. In the video u can see the aggression and breathing pace.
A49F1AE6-C215-4B39-8006-382D1DAF09CB.jpeg
31AEA322-FA70-42EE-AF5B-59641BCAFC19.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom