Need to learn how to keep brackish fish healthy

1. Blanco Member Member

Seems I can keep brackish fish alive?!?!?!
    I can have them in the same tank as other that have been living long healthy lives yet when ever I get a brackish fish they die on me within a few days I add the propper salt according to the instructions & check my water levels & such & as I say I've other fish living in the tank already for about a year maybe some get swapped in to another tank & then I get others here & there, but the only fish I seem to have issues with are Brackish. :confused:

Do we have any good threads on this site or others you can give me links to?
    Or what suggestions might you have?

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a hydrometer? What gravity are you keeping your tank at? What fish are you trying to keep? How large of a tank?

3. Blanco Member Member

Hydrometer?
    Gravity?

Ive tried to keep puffers & a peacock bass in a 10 gallon tank & none of them have lasted more than 2 weeks.

As far as levels I use test strips that change color.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Without a hydrometer, you will not be able to keep brackish fish. A hydrometer tells you how buoyant the water is. By know how buoyant your water is you can tell how much salt is in it. Honestly, without a hydrometer or a refractometer, you should not be attempting to keep brackish fish. This is a hydrometer used to monitor the level of salt in your tank http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Systems-Instant-Ocean-Hydrometer/dp/B00019JOSO

What kind of salt have you been using?

Some types of peacock bass can get up to 100cm long. Probably not a good fish for a 10 gallon.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

5. Blanco Member Member

My guy at the shop tells me thats only for salt water & will do nothing for Bracksih fish?
    He says simply add a TBLSPN per 10 Gallons & that should do you fine.
    ( Note: Not the same shop I've been getting these fish from )
    I really would love to learn to keep healthy Brackish fish though.

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You need to know what specific gravity your fish need so that you can provide the correct salinity. Also, you don't need to add that amount of salt every time you put water in the tank. A hydrometer would tell you how much salt needs to be added. If it were as simple as the fish store claimed, your fish would be living longer.

I'm relatively knew to keeping a brackish tank but have been pretty successful. There are people on here that are more experienced than I am. If you make a thread in the brackish section or the forum, you might get more answers.

7. Blanco Member Member

Thats what I was thinking after the post I saw here?

I looked for that & must of somehow missed it?
    Can you give me a link?

8. Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

You should also be using marine salt. You should aim for a specific gravity of around 1.005 for most puffers and brackish fish.

Honestly you need a bigger tank for most brackish fish. With a 10g you could have a couple Knight gobies or a brackish dwarf puffer. Most other brackish puffers get between 3-6" and can be activities.

Also with puffers you will need to feed ramshorn snails on a regular basis to keep the beak in check.

Other than the SG issue what are your other water parameters?

9. Blanco Member Member

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

11. Blanco Member Member

Like I said I use test strips & these colors can change on a daily basis.
    Depending on what I'm doing.
    I typically change the water every two weeks.
    Tomorrow is the next day planned to do my 50/60% water change in all my tanks.

12. Blanco Member Member

Got me a hydrometer today & was told to keep it between 10 & 12 for Brackish?

13. Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

On the specific gravity side it should read 1.005-1.008 for most fish, in ppm thats 6-12. So yes that would be a good number.

14. Blanco Member Member

Thanks for the tip.
    I have to start considering what Brackish fish to get next?
    I'm now told puffers get really aggressive once they settle into their new environment?

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, puffers are aggressive! Is your tank cycled?

16. Blanco Member Member

YES, Yet not with a proper salt level.

17. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Has the tank been empty for a while? That may kill your cycle. Just something to keep any eye on when adding fish. I believe SharkDude recommended Knight Gobies as a fish to try.

18. Blanco Member Member

Who ever said anything about it being empty?
    I've had fish in this tank for a year.

I answered your question with a YES!

19. GemstonePony Well Known Member Member

@Blanco: I think Cichlidnut was just making sure it hadn't been cycled at one point and then emptied of fish, which would kill the cycle. Due to the sensitive nature of many Brackish fish, a not-quite-cycled-tank might not cut it.
    @Cichlidnut: SK's suggestion of knight gobies was for a 10gal., Blanco probably has a few more options than that if the tank is larger.

Oh, and before you get the fish, you will want to know if the fish you want to keep is currently being kept in brackish water or fresh(many juvenile brackish fish are temporarily ok in fresh). If they are in brackish, you will need to get the salinity high enough before bringing them home; if they are being kept in fresh water, you will want to bring them home and then raise the salinity.

20. Blanco Member Member

Thats a good point, & I'm assuming it basically fresh water being all the tanks share the water in this place & runs through a main system.