Need to know if my numbers are ok ??

1. dawnearly Initiate Member

I have a 38 gallon tank, with 5 neons, 4 guppies, 2 dwarf gouramis, one platy, and a bristlenose suckerfish. I have had my tank setup since Dec 25th. My readings are as follows ..... Ammonia .025, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5.0. I want to know if my tank might be cycled?? I don't know if my nitrates are supposed to be higher....and I can't seem to get the Ammonia down to 0. I do partial water changes every week. Is it ok to have some ammonia, because for all I have read I know there has to be a little ammonia to keep your nitrates. But I wasn't sure how much. Any comments are welcome !!! ;D

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Any amount of ammonia in your tank water stresses your fish. Have you ever tested your tap water for ammonia? Sometimes you will have ammonia straight from the tap. I don't think your tank is cycled yet.

3. dahly Member Member

Continue to be patient, you are almost there! :) Keep up your water changes, gravel vac's and don't over feed. You will get to 0 ammonia. It took me a while to get there too, and now after more than 4 months I never get reading above zero for ammonia; though I do still check weekly. You have a nice amount of fish now, so enjoy them while they help "set " your tank. Good Luck!

4. dawnearly Initiate Member

Thanks for the pep talk. I woke up this morning to a dead Platy :'( I checked and my ammonia was a conservative 2.0 probably more like a 4.0 and my nitrites for the first time were at 0.50 they have always been 0 before...so out of my 38 gal tank I did a 20gal water change. Ammonia to .025 now and 0 nitrites. ;D to have ammonia that low is comforting as I leave for work :-\ My Nitrates are still at 5.0....now are they supposed to get higher or do they just stay about there...or are they supposed to be lower. Gunnie, I did test my water straight out of the tap, and I got a 0 reading...so that is good news. I just think I got some bad advise and got guppies...they are pooping machines !!! :-X Well, again thanks for the advice and I will keep shooting for a 0 ammonia.....and NO MORE FISH FUNERALS !!!! ;D Go Seahawks !!!!

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Keep up the good work. You don't see it now, but your experiences will make you a great fishkeeper once your tank is cycled. You will now know automatically what to do for your tank in the future. ;)