Need to know if my numbers are ok ??

1. dawnearly

dawnearly Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 38 gallon tank, with 5 neons, 4 guppies, 2 dwarf gouramis, one platy, and a bristlenose suckerfish. I have had my tank setup since Dec 25th. My readings are as follows ..... Ammonia .025, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5.0. I want to know if my tank might be cycled?? I don't know if my nitrates are supposed to be higher....and I can't seem to get the Ammonia down to 0. I do partial water changes every week. Is it ok to have some ammonia, because for all I have read I know there has to be a little ammonia to keep your nitrates. But I wasn't sure how much. Any comments are welcome !!! ;D

2. Gunnie

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Any amount of ammonia in your tank water stresses your fish. Have you ever tested your tap water for ammonia? Sometimes you will have ammonia straight from the tap. I don't think your tank is cycled yet.

3. dahly

dahly Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Continue to be patient, you are almost there! :) Keep up your water changes, gravel vac's and don't over feed. You will get to 0 ammonia. It took me a while to get there too, and now after more than 4 months I never get reading above zero for ammonia; though I do still check weekly. You have a nice amount of fish now, so enjoy them while they help "set " your tank. Good Luck!

4. OP
    OP
    dawnearly

dawnearly Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pep talk. I woke up this morning to a dead Platy :'( I checked and my ammonia was a conservative 2.0 probably more like a 4.0 and my nitrites for the first time were at 0.50 they have always been 0 before...so out of my 38 gal tank I did a 20gal water change. Ammonia to .025 now and 0 nitrites. ;D to have ammonia that low is comforting as I leave for work :-\ My Nitrates are still at 5.0....now are they supposed to get higher or do they just stay about there...or are they supposed to be lower. Gunnie, I did test my water straight out of the tap, and I got a 0 reading...so that is good news. I just think I got some bad advise and got guppies...they are pooping machines !!! :-X Well, again thanks for the advice and I will keep shooting for a 0 ammonia.....and NO MORE FISH FUNERALS !!!! ;D Go Seahawks !!!!

5. Gunnie

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Keep up the good work. You don't see it now, but your experiences will make you a great fishkeeper once your tank is cycled. You will now know automatically what to do for your tank in the future. ;)