Need to know how long they'll survive Question 

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long will my fish be pk with out the aerator on and with plastic wrap over the tops of the tanks?

I want to spray my carpet for fleas, just the spray that lasts 30 mins NOT a flea/bug bomb.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would think they would be ok, I would wait on a few more responses before you do it though.... You can raise the oxygen content of the tank by slowly lowering the temperature over the course of a few days before hand. It might also help a little to get a power head that would push water across the top of the tank so you get a little surface agitation

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They will be just fine. I would leave it covered for a while to make sure none of the chemicals get into the tank. You have to remember that fish are shipped in bags all the time and they can be in a small amount of water for days and survive. I am not sure how long your filter can be shut off before you lose a significant amount of bacteria but I think you will be fine. Again I know some places will ship "cycled" filter media and it is still useful once it arrives. As long as you media stays wet it won't hurt for it to be shut off for a while. No different then a power outage from a storm etc.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would put a big black garbage bag over the whole outfit. Still put plastic wrap over the tank, but put a bag over the whole thing as a second layer. They should be okay. My sister had to cover her tank when she flea sprayed her apartment. She laid a towel over the tank and then used a garbage bag over the whole thing and left it for like 2-3 hours.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it'll be fine. Remember that some people, especially in other countries, actually leave their filtration off for a portion of the night/day in an effort to save on electricity. Leaving the tank off and covered for an hour or 2 isn't going to hurt anything. Take care!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I agree, you should be fine.

Rumour has it, beneficial bacteria can last a week without food (ammonia) as long as it stays wet.

I can have my filter off for up to 2 hours when I do a water change, so should be no problem there.

And as has been said, fish are normally in transit for significantly longer periods of time.

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads