need to know about carbon in my filter

Evelyn1919
hello!
in my 75gal tank I have the fluval canister filter and since I got my tank i've been changing the carbo every month. I was reading that some people don't put carbon in their filters? is that good? bad? fine?
please give me as much info about it and if it would be better for me to just get rid of the carbon in my tank.

Shawnie
HI evelyn ..read this thread, it will help you a lot goodluck

Evelyn1919
hI Shawnie-thanks so much for that link. I guess I'll stop using carbon and see what happens. I'll also get the Blue Bonded Filter Pads to put in the filter instead of the carbon and see how it works.

thanks!!!

Shawnie
yourwelcome and goodluck!! most don't use carbon unless to remove meds...

COBettaCouple
Unless you use the good carbon, it's best to replace it weekly to try to avoid the dumping of chemicals that carbon does when it gives out.

It is best to run without it.

Isabella
hello!
in my 75gal tank I have the fluval canister filter and since I got my tank i've been changing the carbo every month. I was reading that some people don't put carbon in their filters? is that good? bad? fine?
please give me as much info about it and if it would be better for me to just get rid of the carbon in my tank.

I personally never use activated carbon/charcoal in any of my filters. And never had any fish health problems so far. But also, my tanks are not overstocked. If your tank is very overstocked, a good carbon source would probably be beneficial, and it would have to be changed regularly, every month or even less (carbon is only effective for the first 1-2 weeks or so). If not changed, it will start leaching the toxins back into the tank. Otherwise, frequent water changes will keep the water clean. With good water-changing routine and no overstocking, you should be more than fine without carbon. I use additional bio-media and sponges in filter compartments where the carbon is supposed to be sitting. This gives me more space for the beneficial bacteria that help to keep the tank cycled and healthy

COBettaCouple
If you do run carbon, I highly recommend:

This is the good stuff.. phosphate-free, more effective and lasts longer.

Evelyn1919
thanks for all the answers. I took out the carbon and replaced it with filter pads. I'll see how that works for a little bit.

oh and I don't think my tank is overstock. I think I can still put a few fish in there. here is what I have.

75gal tank:
10 red tail rasbora
4 long fin rosy barbs
10 tiger barbs
4 neon tetras

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LiLBlueShrimpy22
Replies
Views