Need To Adjust From Tap Water Parameters For New Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Helaurin, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Helaurin

HelaurinNew MemberMember

I'm starting a new tank, 55 g.

Picked up used. ($200 for tank, wood stand with doors and shelves, Aquaclear 70 filter, extra filter supplies, heater, LED lights, glass canopy and a few misc. supplies).

Anyhow - I rinsed the tank, got it set in place, added water from the tap, have the heater, light and filter all working fine. But I recalled I'd had lots of issues setting up previous tanks, so now that the water has been cycling in the tank for a day, I tested the water using an API master test kit (drops, not strips).

Results:

PH 7.6
    Ammonia 1.0 ppm
    Nitrite .5 ppm (heading towards 1.0 ppm)
    Nitrate 10 ppm (heading towards 20 ppm)

Given that the plan for this tank is EVENTUALLY to be a home for Angelfish, Kribs and a few community fish and corys, thoughts on getting the parameters to where they need to be? (I know, I should run a test this very second on the tanks that have the angels in them, but I'm heading into work in a moment... I can update later though).

I haven't bought the substrate yet, and I do have extra aquarium driftwood available to put in the tank if needed. Has anyone found any particular substrate that helps bring the PH down to a more neutral level? Other suggestions with this tank to be setup?

Thanks in advance!

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

No need to adjust the PH. Angels & Kribs will likely do just fine in water with your parameters. Water in my area has a PH of 8.2. Most of the local pet stores sell Angels & Kribs.
    I've kept Angels bought locally. They grew huge and lived a long time. I've not kept Kribs.

3. Loetje

LoetjeValued MemberMember

Hi Helaurin,

Do I understand correctly you're on your first day's cycling, and you already have nitrites and nitrates? If so, wow!

Your pH looks fine to me, but I'm no expert so maybe someone else can chime in. How's your GH and KH?

Personally, I use peat moss in the filter to lower pH (But I do have high tap water pH). In your case, I would say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    Helaurin

HelaurinNew MemberMember

Unfortunately, it comes that way out of the tap. I'm more concerned about the ammonia,nitrate/nitrite levels vs. the ph. All of it will spike along the way as I add substrate, plants, etc and eventually fish. And all I'm doing right now is cycling plain tank water through the filter - making sure that the filter works as expected, waiting to see if the heater is up to the job of heating the tank (I may add a second heater on the other end of the tank), before I take the next step.

5. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Was this tank up and running when you bought it?

6. OP
    OP
    Helaurin

HelaurinNew MemberMember

No. The previous owner had decommissioned it about six months earlier. New water, no substrate, new filter media. I wiped/scrubbed everything down before putting it back up.

7. Loetje

LoetjeValued MemberMember

So, if I understand correctly:
    Problems:
    -high tap ammonia
    -high tap nitrite

If you have a cycled tank and do a 50% water change, you would be introducing 0.5 ppm ammonia, 0.25 ppm nitrite. I dont know how fast your bacteria could handle these changes to get it back to acceptable levels.

Maybe RO unit?
    Or more and smaller water changes? That way, the bacteria can process your tap water, so you get less parameter swings..

Thats all I can think of:(