Need That Signature Fish Or "fishes"

TJW

Reaction score
20190724_191716.jpg
I finally have the 55 all set up how I want it to look after 2 months of shifting things around and stocking with the plants I like.
20190724_191826.jpg

Now Im just missing that 1 or 2 fish that will cap off the tank. I think the tank needs that signature top or mid swimmer, I was leaning towards angels but im not sure there is too much current for them. I dont know what that right fish is yet so im looking for help, ideas, suggestions etc...

There are currently 14 fish in the tank, all small community fish: Some danios, swords, corys, fox and a gourami named Gus.

20190724_191813.jpg

Here are a couple photos of the tank for inspiration. I will also mention whatever that fish will be will have to play nice with my albino rainbow that patrols the depths!
20190724_191836.jpg

So lets hear some suggestions, im undecided! Also the water tends to be on the harder side of the spectrum.

Thanks everyone!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my opinion you already have two showpiece fish in that tank. I wouldn’t want to detract from the rainbow shark or gourami anymore. Personally I’d just add some more of the danios and/or cories

TJW

Reaction score
I was going to suggest a Pearl Gourami but it looks like you already have a sunburst gourami? I'mstumped as to what other centerpiece would go in your tank sorry. Looks great BTW!
Edit: How about a couple swordtails?
There are 2 female swords in there currently and they are good looking fish, im just not a big fan of the "bio load" that comes with them

TJW

Reaction score
In my opinion you already have two showpiece fish in that tank. I wouldn’t want to detract from the rainbow shark or gourami anymore. Personally I’d just add some more of the danios and/or cories
I do agree, where I think its missing is the top of the tank. Both the shark and Gus like to hang around the bottom portions of the tank most of the time.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd personally throw in 12-15 Siamese Algae Eaters. It's something different from the usual school of tetras and danios. Plus, they get a bit larger.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are 2 female swords in there currently and they are good looking fish, im just not a big fan of the "bio load" that comes with them
I'd personally throw in 12-15 Siamese Algae Eaters. It's something different from the usual school of tetras and danios. Plus, they get a bit larger.
. That’s an interesting suggestion Scarface. You’d have to be spot on with filtration and maintenance to support the numbers you suggested. That would look really cool though! Again though I think that’d detract from the showpiece fish.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think adding a few more danios, as well as getting a group of rasboras (like harlequins), tetras (lemons, black widow, tummies, bloodfins, black neons, penguins, Colombian) or rainbows (dwarf neons, blue eyes ect) would look good. Say a group of 8-10 of a single species.

TJW

Reaction score
Interesting idea, i dont think I can effectively take on that amount of fish though and keep the system running clean. I would be doing the fish a disservice by adding so many

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bolivian rams ..A nice mellow pair and call it good ..
I do like the SAE idea and don't think it over load the tank honestly ...
Tanks looks great by the way !

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not doubting your stocking suggestion @scarface but 12-15 SAE that can potentially get to 4-6" that really seems like a lot. I would definitely add a few in there without a doubt. I like the Bolivian ram idea. I have 2 SAE in my heavily planted 55 and one is the size of a small submarine 4-5" . With 12-15 you can guarantee to never see any BBA thats a 100% fact!! Also if you go with that many and decide to feed them algae wafers it might also be a good idea to buy stocks in the brand you get cause they will be going through them quickly if their anything like my 2

TJW

Reaction score
Bolivian rams ..A nice mellow pair and call it good ..
I do like the SAE idea and don't think it over load the tank honestly ...
Tanks looks great by the way !
I would need to do some research on Bolivian rams, I had a german blue but he did not last very long as I dont think my tank was set up for him correctly and i didnt do the homework I should have. Im guessing these rams would be similar in water temp needs? I dont run my tank at 82+ so im not sure these would be a fit??

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bolivian Rams, as mentioned. I have kept and breed a few hundred @ 77-78. A "Great" community tank inhabitant. Another option 6 Black Skirt Tetras.
Good Luck on your choice.

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can keep Bolivians at 76-78F. My understanding is they're not near as sensitive as GBR's and are actually pretty hardy. The two I have are really mellow too. They don't seem to pay any attention to the other fish I have.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom