Need That Signature Fish Or "fishes"

TJW

Member
I finally have the 55 all set up how I want it to look after 2 months of shifting things around and stocking with the plants I like.


Now I'm just missing that 1 or 2 fish that will cap off the tank. I think the tank needs that signature top or mid swimmer, I was leaning towards angels but I'm not sure there is too much current for them. I don't know what that right fish is yet so I'm looking for help, ideas, suggestions etc...

There are currently 14 fish in the tank, all small community fish: Some danios, swords, corys, fox and a gouramI named Gus.



Here are a couple photos of the tank for inspiration. I will also mention whatever that fish will be will have to play nice with my albino rainbow that patrols the depths!


So lets hear some suggestions, I'm undecided! Also the water tends to be on the harder side of the spectrum.

Thanks everyone!
 

ForceTen

Member
Looks great!
 

kallililly1973

Member
I was going to suggest a Pearl GouramI but it looks like you already have a sunburst gourami? I'mstumped as to what other centerpiece would go in your tank sorry. Looks great BTW!
Edit: How about a couple swordtails?
 

SaltyPhone

Member
In my opinion you already have two showpiece fish in that tank. I wouldn’t want to detract from the rainbow shark or gouramI anymore. Personally I’d just add some more of the danios and/or cories
 
  • Thread Starter

TJW

Member
kallililly1973 said:
I was going to suggest a Pearl GouramI but it looks like you already have a sunburst gourami? I'mstumped as to what other centerpiece would go in your tank sorry. Looks great BTW!
Edit: How about a couple swordtails?
There are 2 female swords in there currently and they are good looking fish, I'm just not a big fan of the "bio load" that comes with them
 
  • Thread Starter

TJW

Member
SaltyPhone said:
In my opinion you already have two showpiece fish in that tank. I wouldn’t want to detract from the rainbow shark or gouramI anymore. Personally I’d just add some more of the danios and/or cories
I do agree, where I think its missing is the top of the tank. Both the shark and Gus like to hang around the bottom portions of the tank most of the time.
 

kallililly1973

Member
TJW said:
There are 2 female swords in there currently and they are good looking fish, I'm just not a big fan of the "bio load" that comes with them
My bad didn't notice that in your first post.
 

goldface

Member
I'd personally throw in 12-15 Siamese Algae Eaters. It's something different from the usual school of tetras and danios. Plus, they get a bit larger.
 

SaltyPhone

Member
TJW said:
There are 2 female swords in there currently and they are good looking fish, I'm just not a big fan of the "bio load" that comes with them
scarface said:
I'd personally throw in 12-15 Siamese Algae Eaters. It's something different from the usual school of tetras and danios. Plus, they get a bit larger.
. That’s an interesting suggestion Scarface. You’d have to be spot on with filtration and maintenance to support the numbers you suggested. That would look really cool though! Again though I think that’d detract from the showpiece fish.
 

jmaldo

Member

aussieJJDude

Member
I think adding a few more danios, as well as getting a group of rasboras (like harlequins), tetras (lemons, black widow, tummies, bloodfins, black neons, penguins, Colombian) or rainbows (dwarf neons, blue eyes ect) would look good. Say a group of 8-10 of a single species.
 
  • Thread Starter

TJW

Member
scarface said:
I'd personally throw in 12-15 Siamese Algae Eaters. It's something different from the usual school of tetras and danios. Plus, they get a bit larger.
Interesting idea, I don't think I can effectively take on that amount of fish though and keep the system running clean. I would be doing the fish a disservice by adding so many
 

coralbandit

Member
Bolivian rams ..A nice mellow pair and call it good ..
I do like the SAE idea and don't think it over load the tank honestly ...
Tanks looks great by the way !
 

kallililly1973

Member
Not doubting your stocking suggestion scarface but 12-15 SAE that can potentially get to 4-6" that really seems like a lot. I would definitely add a few in there without a doubt. I like the Bolivian ram idea. I have 2 SAE in my heavily planted 55 and one is the size of a small submarine 4-5" . With 12-15 you can guarantee to never see any BBA that's a 100% fact!! Also if you go with that many and decide to feed them algae wafers it might also be a good idea to buy stocks in the brand you get cause they will be going through them quickly if their anything like my 2
 
  • Thread Starter

TJW

Member
coralbandit said:
Bolivian rams ..A nice mellow pair and call it good ..
I do like the SAE idea and don't think it over load the tank honestly ...
Tanks looks great by the way !
I would need to do some research on Bolivian rams, I had a german blue but he did not last very long as I don't think my tank was set up for him correctly and I didnt do the homework I should have. I'm guessing these rams would be similar in water temp needs? I don't run my tank at 82+ so I'm not sure these would be a fit??
 

jmaldo

Member
Bolivian Rams, as mentioned. I have kept and breed a few hundred @ 77-78. A "Great" community tank inhabitant. Another option 6 Black Skirt Tetras.
Good Luck on your choice.
 

loner556

Member
You can keep Bolivians at 76-78F. My understanding is they're not near as sensitive as GBR's and are actually pretty hardy. The two I have are really mellow too. They don't seem to pay any attention to the other fish I have.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom