Need Tds, Gh And Kh Advise For Neo Shrimp

Sydsam

I have 2 tanks set up for shrimp, all water parameters are good.
T1 is a small 2.5 gal " mildly planted" that has some small mystery snails and about 6-8 basic neos in it. It is cycled and I am not heating it, but average tank temp is around 70. I have one berried female in it.

T2 is a 10 gal planted nano. It is also cycled, no heat, but averages around 70 degrees. I have 12 rummy nose rasboras, 8 dwarf golden barbs, 3 albino cory's, small mystery snails, and maybe about 20 RCS's.

Both tanks are cycled, and aside from minimal shrimp loss, all seems well. Here's my problem as I am new to shrimp and want desperately to succeed.

I think I have very good tap water. Maybe too good...Ph is about a 6.2 maybe, TDS is usually at about 25 with no trace of Gh or Kh.

My T1 is showing a TDS of 144 and a Ph of 6.0, Kh of 0, and Gh of 30
My T2 is showing a TDS of 143 and a Ph of 6.5, Kh of 0, and Gh of 30
Tap water is showing a TDS of 31, and a Ph of 6.2, Kh of 0 and Gh of 0.

How do I do water changes without stressing the shrimp out with different Ph, and how do I raise my Kh and Gh up? From my research I am thinking Seachem equilibrium? I know I need a higher Kh and Gh for my shrimp to molt and breed successfully.

Any advise is welcomed...thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 92

richiep

I've never used Equilibrium but salty bee is available world wide this will bring everything into order, if equilibrium dose the same you can go with that, water changes I do 20%weekly it's harder to keep stable perameters in a small tank so once a week and you'll keep on top of it others following this may have different views but that works for me, not to shock your shrimp try and get the water as close to temp as possible I use another heater for this then just use a jug and gently add to tank there's no need to drip it in, one thing I'd deffenetly do is get the apI liquid test kit it's far more accurate, as for adding salty shrimp the ammount will be so small it will last ages, it's obvious you have a TDS meter ide aI'm for around 220

View larger
Salty Shrimp - Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ 100g
Reference: SSM-SM-85

Condition: New product

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ - Minerals and trace elements

• Write a review
  • Send to a friend

• Add to wishlist

MORE INFO
    Pro Shrimp's comment: This is the defacto standard in remineralisers world wide. Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ is used to increase the mineral content soft water, RO/DI or rain water to a level suitable for shrimp. Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ increases GH AND KH (ratio 1:0.5)! Since KH has an influence on PH, this mineral is especially suited for shrimp that like higher PH and/or harder water like Cherry/Neocariddina and SulawesI Shrimp.

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ has been especially designed for the preparation of neutral aquarium water for keeping and breeding shrimp. It re-mineralises e.g. RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc., raising total hardness (°dGH) and carbonate hardness (KH) at a ratio of °dGH/KH: 1.0/0.5. Especially shrimp from habitats with a neutral pH do very well in water prepared with this mineral salt.

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ contains all the important minerals and trace elements your shrimp need for their well-being, an intensive colouration, successful breeding and healthy growth. It also furthers plant growth and the microbial regeneration of biological filter substrates.

Instructions of use
    Mix with water outside of the aquarium. Shrimp Mineral dissolves almost completely within seconds, and the water is ready for use at once. Please make sure that any undissolved particles go into your tank, too. Close container after every use at once as this mineral salt absorbs moisture.

Dosage
    Use Shrimp Mineral to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 °dGH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 µS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres of water is sufficient.
    Measuring spoon enclosed.

Attachments

• salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-ghkh-85g.jpg
    salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-ghkh-85g.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 73

FishRFriendz

I think I have very good tap water. Maybe too good...Ph is about a 6.2 maybe, TDS is usually at about 25 with no trace of Gh or Kh.

My T1 is showing a TDS of 144 and a Ph of 6.0, Kh of 0, and Gh of 30
My T2 is showing a TDS of 143 and a Ph of 6.5, Kh of 0, and Gh of 30
Tap water is showing a TDS of 31, and a Ph of 6.2, Kh of 0 and Gh of 0.

I wouldn't mind having that tap water. I'm also in TN, but mine comes out kh4 gh4. I'd be keeping crystal shrimp if it came out of the tap with kh0. How is your water getting to Gh30 in the tank?

Gourami36

I wouldn't mind having that tap water. I'm also in TN, but mine comes out kh4 gh4. I'd be keeping crystal shrimp if it came out of the tap with kh0. How is your water getting to Gh30 in the tank?
I think you are using degrees and op is using ppm.

FishRFriendz

I think you are using degrees and op is using ppm.
LOL! You are right!
Wow... that's nearly RO out of the tap. The two in one additive richie.p recommends seems ideal to minimize the work of getting to the right parameters.

Sydsam how long have you had those RCS? They should be dying during their molts so a week or two of adding to a new tank, the transition should have triggered a molt too.

richiep

I thought that gh of 30 was a misprint and should be 3 there's no chart that goes that high that I know of,but as FishRFriendz as pointed out maybe a question that needs clarification

Gourami36

30 ppm is around 1-2 degrees closer to 2. That’s probably what it is since op’s tap water has 0 kh

-Mak-

You're very lucky as you're probably one of few people that could keep crystal shrimp in tap, and with neos you can adjust your water to be anything you want.

Seachem equilibrium will raise GH, while putting a bag of crushed coral, oyster shell, or other calcium carbonate sources in the filter will raise KH and pH

Sydsam

LOL! You are right!
Wow... that's nearly RO out of the tap. The two in one additive richie.p recommends seems ideal to minimize the work of getting to the right parameters.

Sydsam how long have you had those RCS? They should be dying during their molts so a week or two of adding to a new tank, the transition should have triggered a molt too.
I've had them about 3 weeks now.. I've seen no molts and I thought I would during transition and water changes, but nothing yet. They all seem to be doing well, except for one I found today laying at the bottom of the tank.

Sydsam

I have no idea...I do have some shells in there and some dead coral that I got from overseas that has been sitting in a jar for ages, but I don't know how my parameters differ so much. I mean, I'm glad I have great tap water, but it does nothing to help my shrimp...lol

Sydsam

I've never used Equilibrium but salty bee is available world wide this will bring everything into order, if equilibrium dose the same you can go with that, water changes I do 20%weekly it's harder to keep stable perameters in a small tank so once a week and you'll keep on top of it others following this may have different views but that works for me, not to shock your shrimp try and get the water as close to temp as possible I use another heater for this then just use a jug and gently add to tank there's no need to drip it in, one thing I'd deffenetly do is get the apI liquid test kit it's far more accurate, as for adding salty shrimp the ammount will be so small it will last ages, it's obvious you have a TDS meter ide aI'm for around 220

View larger
Salty Shrimp - Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ 100g
Reference: SSM-SM-85

Condition: New product

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ - Minerals and trace elements

• Write a review
  • Send to a friend

• Add to wishlist

MORE INFO
    Pro Shrimp's comment: This is the defacto standard in remineralisers world wide. Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ is used to increase the mineral content soft water, RO/DI or rain water to a level suitable for shrimp. Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ increases GH AND KH (ratio 1:0.5)! Since KH has an influence on PH, this mineral is especially suited for shrimp that like higher PH and/or harder water like Cherry/Neocariddina and SulawesI Shrimp.

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ has been especially designed for the preparation of neutral aquarium water for keeping and breeding shrimp. It re-mineralises e.g. RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc., raising total hardness (°dGH) and carbonate hardness (KH) at a ratio of °dGH/KH: 1.0/0.5. Especially shrimp from habitats with a neutral pH do very well in water prepared with this mineral salt.

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ contains all the important minerals and trace elements your shrimp need for their well-being, an intensive colouration, successful breeding and healthy growth. It also furthers plant growth and the microbial regeneration of biological filter substrates.

Instructions of use
    Mix with water outside of the aquarium. Shrimp Mineral dissolves almost completely within seconds, and the water is ready for use at once. Please make sure that any undissolved particles go into your tank, too. Close container after every use at once as this mineral salt absorbs moisture.

Dosage
    Use Shrimp Mineral to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 °dGH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 µS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres of water is sufficient.
    Measuring spoon enclosed.
thank you, I will look into that ASAP

Sydsam

Sorry for the confusion everyone. I am waiting on my API kit for Gh and Kh, so I used the test strips for a quick comparison. And, yes, I think it is ppm according to the bottle.
Also as far as the original post, I should have clarified...the first two pics is of T1, the second two is of T2 and the third set of pics is my tap water

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Nize69
Replies
Views
Ricksza
Replies
Views
Kathryn Crook
Replies