Need Tank Mates For Tiger Barbs

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by C-Foss, Apr 8, 2017.

1. C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

I just relocated my cichlids out of my 25 gallon tank, and now all that are left are 2 albino tiger barbs and 2 tiger barbs. What would be some good tank mates? I've had some success keeping angel fish with my tiger barbs in the past and was hoping to try again

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

A 25 would be too small.

Tiger barbs really need larger schools to present interspecies aggression. Wouldn't really be possible in your tank size.

I'd up the school to 8 barbs and try a bottom dwelling cichlid species like apistogramma or kribensis.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Hi. Tiger barbs are usually thought as tiger devils in the forums because they can get agressive with other fish and nip their fins. I dont believe that is true if you keep them in a big enough school (at least 6, 8+ is so much better) and in a big enough tank. I keep 8 Tiger Barbs in a 36 gal and they are fine with 4 Mollys that are hanging in there. I am yet to encounter a single problem with the barbs. When I added the Mollys I initially added them in a group of 6 and the Tiger Barbs were curious for the 1st hour which meant a lot of chasing. After that hour my Tiger Barbs calmed down and I am yet to see anymore agression, the Mollys now swim between the barbs and the barbs do not even care.

However in your case your tank is a little bit smaller so I would just suggest to go easy and make it an only species tank.
    I would suggest to just add more tiger barbs and make it an only species tank. I would just up the school to 10-12 barbs an leave it like that. You can get more albino barbs, more tiger barbs or more green barbs, does not matter, they will still school together.

4. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

What about something like a few neon tetras? Do you think I could get a school of about 5 neons and 8 barbs?

Thanks
    abjs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

You could do 6 neons and 8 barbs. Temperature requirements are a little off but it wouldn't be horrrific. Just doesn't make for a terribly exciting tank IMO.

6. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

I see, thanks for the help

7. BeanFish

Neons should be in a bigger school in my opinion. And I am not sure, I have never kept neons. I got 8 catfish to go with my tiger barbs, they are still young and are like 3 cm, this time the barbs acted the same when I added the corydoras but the corys did not seem to be able to handle the initial stress. I ended up netting them out, I will grow them out a little, wait for the plants to grow a little bushier and try again. The first hour when tiger barbs are curious is the most important one in my opinion, if the fish can handle that hour they will be fine, at least that has been my experience so far.
    I agree with MikeRad89, neons do not seem to go well with tiger barbs, they are small and their colours do not really match.
    People seem to underestimate the barbs, get a big enough school in a only species tank and they will be better than your TV. There are many species that will do well with barbs but most of them would mean overstocking your tank.

8. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

I'm thinking I'm going to pick up 2 rosy barbs, 2 green barbs, and possibly 2 platinum or gold barbs (if my local stores have that kind of variety)

9. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

Hey everyone, just a final update, I went ahead and got 2 long finned rosy barbs, 2 gold barbs and 2 green barbs, along with a rainbow shark

10. BeanFish

Rainbow sharks need 30 gal alone and will get agressive and territorial when they reach maturity. Other than that I think the barbs are ok.

11. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

The one I got is very small and I have a friend who can take him when he is bigger

12. BeanFish

I would still be scared about agression, we don't know when he will start to get agressive and territorial. Anyways sounds like you have figured out a plan for him, have fun with your fish!

13. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The rosy barbs and gold barbs both need to be in groups of 6+ of their own type. The green barbs will school with the tigers though.
    That rainbow shark needs 55 gallons

14. BeanFish

I was fearing that, the fact that their names end up with "Barb" does not mean they will school together but I wasn't quite sure so I abstained to comment.

15. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

It seems the gold barbs have taken quite a liking to the albino barbs, maybe the color similarity is close enough for them. Anyways, I will update on their schooling habits if any others form. It seems for now that the green barbs are mostly sticking to themselves, and the rosy barbs come and go with the school.

16. OP
    OP
    C-Foss

C-Foss New Member Member

Also, I read somewhere that barbs are not very exclusive in their schooling and will school with just about anything, even fish like tetras. Perhaps it is wishful thinking, or maybe just a case of the confirmation bias, but for now, everyone is getting along, although each of the pairs of different barbs seem to stick together very closely and are a little more loosely associated with the other varieties.

17. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

You could add 10 kuhli loaches. They are a bottom dweller so the bards should leave them alone

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Angelfish need warmer temps than tiger barbs, so I wouldn't do it.
    What are the dimensions of the tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice