need suggestions on tank mates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kaitlin4599, Jul 28, 2015.

1. k

kaitlin4599 Valued Member Member

ok so i have a 10 gallon tank its still in the process of cycling but i need to start deciding on what type of fish to put in my tank and im clueless im thinking tetras and maybe a rainbow shark do u guys have any suggestions oh and tank will be planted and haver a decent heater id prefer tetras rainbow sharks maybe mollies not sure tho what do u recomend as far as fish go for a total noob whos new to the hobby

EDIT would prefer fish that like to eat the same type of fish food as i dont want to have to buy several different types of food meaning if all of the fish eat standard flakes and blood worms great but i dont really want fish ion my tank that require different diets

im open to neon tetras or tetras in general as i love there colors and i love schooling fish

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. yasha

yasha Well Known Member Member

Rainbow Shark wouldn't fit in a 10 gallon for very long and would most likely eat the smaller fish.

Mollies normally like a little salt in there water so wouldn't do well with most other fish.

If you like livebearers go with guppies or platy however best to get one gender or you will end up with a lot of babies. Both have a lot of different colors and fin types.

There's a lot of small Community fish that would work out well. Neon Tetras are my favorite as they school really tight. You would want a group of any schooling fish. 6 Neon Tetras and 6 small cory like pygmy cory would work well however I'm not so sure that's staying to 1 type of food and cory do best on sand.

I'd just go with a nice group of Neon Tetras. Maybe 6 Neon Tetras and 6 Black Neon Tetras if you want more then one type of fish to look at.
    You could also go with the 6-8 Neon Tetras and 1 Dwarf Gourami if you want a center piece fish.

You could have a small group of shrimp with your Tetra.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    A 10 gallon doesn't give you a lot of stocking options, rainbow sharks & Mollies need much bigger tanks.
    A few options that would work are ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, endlers, male guppies, a single Betta, chilli rasboras, or sparkling gourami.

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I second Coradee's suggestions. A 10g is going to be a bit too small for most things, even neon tetras need more room than a 10g has.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with Coradee's suggestions. Ember tetras would work, if you have your heart set on tetras. Mollies and rainbow sharks both get too big for a 10g, I'm afraid.

6. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Hi there :)

I have read conflicting things about rainbow sharks, so I think it depends a lot on individual temperament. Some seem much more territorial and aggressive than others. As far as stocking options, have you see the thread on stocking options for a 10 gal? Here it is

But I have to agree that a 10 gal is probably too small for a rainbow shark or a group of mollies.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies have big bioload and require at minimum 20 gallons, although 29 is preferred. Rainbow sharks grow up to 5" or so and would require a tank with a 48" footprint, or 55 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with the above advice. And another reason for rainbow sharks needing a 55 min is because they are territorial.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice