Need Suggestions On Plants

alpha34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello....So I'm planning to convert my established 15g tank into planted tank. I have sunsun ADE400 LED light and for substrate I'm thinking of going with sand+root tabs. So I'm thinking of below plants
Dwarf Amazon sword, Java Fern, Corkscrew Val, bacopa caroliniana & Hygrophila polysperma.
I know that amazon sword requires planted substrate but others are water column feeders?
Can you please which ones to go with as I'm planning for sand substrate....also I'm using classica natural river gravel sand which is coarse sand.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alpha34 said:
Hello....So I'm planning to convert my established 15g tank into planted tank. I have sunsun ADE400 LED light and for substrate I'm thinking of going with sand+root tabs. So I'm thinking of below plants
Dwarf Amazon sword, Java Fern, Corkscrew Val, bacopa caroliniana & Hygrophila polysperma.
I know that amazon sword requires planted substrate but others are water column feeders?
Can you please which ones to go with as I'm planning for sand substrate....also I'm using classica natural river gravel sand which is coarse sand.
Amazon Sword and Corkscrew Val are Root feeders. They should do fine with sand as long as you put enough root tabs under them.
I'm not 100% sure but the rest of the plants you listed except for java fern are stem plants so they do both root feed and water column.
Then Java Fern is a column feeder. You might want to dose some liquid ferts for them. Not needed but it will help the plants

alpha34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have brought root tabs and that was one of the reason I thought of going with Sand rather than plant substrate which is costly and even with plant substrate we still have to put root tabs so didn't saw the point of it.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use soil under my sand and my sword is growing tremendously. you can also DIY the osmocote root tabs and will be a cheaper option for you. Btw unless you have a tall or big tank I'd avoid the sword and val, I have a 24" high tank and the sword is really tall right now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom