need suggestions from african cichlid members!

1. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Every time my african tank is needed for a water change, they have major issues after its done...I know its because of the drop of their ph ...and not sure how to fix this...

I only change out about 1/3 of their water every other week...and I only do it because they need fresh water but their tank is always 0-0-about 10 nitrates....but going more than 2 weeks for water changes with them, seems unhealthy....but trying to avoid a change in ph, is my goal now I guess right?

before a water change, im about 7.8-8.0 ph...last month we had a major crash in ph when the bf changed out 70% of the water and I explained thats too much with our natural ph of 7....so this time I did 1/3 and they still gasp and ph is down to 7.4 grrr...

any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated? I have 80lbs of ecco complete for africans...tons of shells that are whole and crushed on top of that....its a 75g tank and unless I do a water change, its perfect

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

So you're changing out 25g of water every two weeks.

I see a few solutions, hopefully one of these will work for you.

1. Do smaller water changes weekly so the PH of the tank doesn't get the "PH drop".

2. Add some crushed coral to a few of the buckets before they go into the tank to stabilize the PH.

I'll think about this for a while and see if I can come up with some other solutions for you as well. Maybe someone else will have some helpful ideas too.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You know I don't have cichlids, and I'm sure others with africans can give better ideas but maybe could consider water changes from a heated tote with airstone and whatever you use to raise the pH in your main tank.
    Did that make sense? lol, kind of what those with SW do, condition the water before changes.

:;tmnt BB, only hers made more sense. :p

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thanks girls so much!!!!!!

the weekly ones were harder even though I was doing even less than 1/3 and thought i was overcleaning

but I love the idea of maybe treating the water prior to adding..but with crushed coral it takes time to elevate the water....and not sure if i can even find a spot for a tub to let it be treated :(

was going to go the baking soda method but its too drastic and too fast and you have to continuously add it ...

I feel so bad for them ...yesterday when I did the change, I even added more ecco complete in anticipation of the ph change....

thanks again ladies I appreciate it!

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Shawnie. Here's something else that may help:

If you put a bucket of the new water on top of the fish tank, you can use airline tubing to start a flow and then let the water trickle into the tank. We've been doing our water changes this way because the new water we were adding to the tank was about 6-7 degrees colder than the tank.

It takes a few hours to fill the tank back up this way (you leave the bucket with the flow going, refill the bucket as it is near empty), but it isn't very much extra work. The slow flow of water into the tank lets them acclimate much more slowly that just pouring in the new water.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thats a great suggestion!!....i wonder if it would be different to just add a few gallons at a time then wait and add a few more etc with a half hour to an hour in between adding each bucket...? hmmmm that might help allot!!! TY

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Is there room for something under the tank? I don't know if you have a cabinet or a wrought iron stand.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;rli have a cabinet with um, TONS of fish supplies and extras of just about everything needed to start many tanks LOL....

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing at shawnie's house? my guess would have been that under the tank would be... wait for it... another tank!

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;rlI actually thought of that a time or two :whistling: but the boyfriend put his foot down about that...not to mention where would i put all the extra stuffs? :shock:

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I've been trying to avoid the same thing with my 75 gallon Tanganyika tank; the pH out of the tap here is about 6.8. Rather than doing my usual 50% weekly water change, I've been doing 25% twice a week. The fish act perfectly normal after a 25% change.