Need suggestions for a 3 hr cory qt asap

1. n

nhaiflich Valued Member Member

I posted this thread a few min ago... https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=176110
    Well, someone got hurt I think because every one fine at 8am and now (4pm) this one is like this. It's face is dark and can't keep itself on sand. Back end keeps floating up. I have new cories that had no barbels that went through horrible shipping :mad: in my qt and can't do get a tank to hubby is home. No idea what happened. Was seriously fine this morning

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Get the largest fish safe bucket you can find and put an air pump and heater in it. You can give him a filter if you want but if your moving him that quickly don't worry about it.

Best of luck for the little guy!

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It looks a bit bloated, as Harlebleondora says, get a bucket or tub & put him in it, don't have the water too deep.
    If he'll eat try feeding some daphnia which act as a mild laxative, that will help if he has a blockage or has taken in too much air.

4. OP
    OP
    n

I'm freaking out. That one was gone before I could get the bucket done and another is acting weird now. Getting dark in face and gulping air more than normal. And flashing. Finishing bucket and moving this guy now. I have no idea what in the world is going on.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tested your water? on your other thread you said your guppies were hanging at the top, the bubbles could be just a coincidence & there is something else going on in your tank.

6. OP
    OP
    n

I checked it before I put bubbles in. I always think water first when something happens. 0/0/5-10. After the bubbles the fry stopped and went back about their business. I'll get the daphnia when leave to get another tank. This one isn't struggling to stay at bottom near as bad as other one was so hopefully it will make it

7. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I know what it's like to watch them drop like flies right in front of you, not knowing why.

If they were just shipped, a large part of it is probably stress. Combine that with bad shipping, those cories are probably going to the surface to gulp air more than usual, which sometimes causes them to float funny. However, the death leads me to believe that there is also a disease in there as well that's surfacing hard and fast because of the stress.

Darkening the room slightly (so you can see, but it "could" be dusk) will help de-stress them a bit, as will ensuring that their water parameters are in check. Be sure to provide plenty of hiding spaces, even if it makes it harder for you to observe them.

I can't really advise you on treatment, as I'm no disease expert, but as someone who has struggled heavily with cories and medications, I can tell you that 5 minutes to think a decision over will not hurt the fish any more. Take some deep breaths, and remember not to convince yourself that a rushed decision is better than an uninformed one because it takes less time, and therefore gets treatment to the fish faster.

I'm sorry for your loss, and hope the rest get through it OK!

8. OP
    OP
    n

That's the crazy thing. I should have been more specific. The one that passed and the other bad one are ones I had a little over a month. The new ones are in my qt which is why I had no where to put these guys:eek: I just got back. Trying to figure somewhere to put tank and get it running. This other guy is still hanging on so fingers crossed. (PS shipped ones are doing great so far. Now that their ordeal is over!) I'll darken lights just the same and they were out of the daphnia so will try another store tomorrow. Do peas work with them? If a blockage is indeed causing this. As I saw nothing on the deceased one that is making me think disease.

9. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

my cories dropped like flies when i first got them. i had 5 emerald green cories and now im down to 1 i know im getting my numbers back up to 5-6 this weekend. :( I just switched to sand and it seems to be working better for them. i dont think it would hurt to much to have gravel but im not 100% sure about that. I have only had them for about a month.

10. OP
    OP
    n

Aahhhh!! Well the poor guy in qt didn't make it through the night. And there was another dead one in main tank that was showing no signs when went to bed. Then the other 3 cories decided they needed a snack and ate half of it. So if it was a disease, they all have it now. :(

11. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Hope a medicine expert comes along soon. What are all their symptoms? What does the progression of the disease look like? Any red spots or stringy white poop? What about your water parameters? All this information will help people advise you on treatment.

12. Guppy lover12346

Guppy lover12346 New Member Member

Possible to be a nitrite spike, my fish had the same symptom as your Cory... Do water changes ASAP.
    Good luck

13. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

14. OP
    OP
    n

I checked water again last night before bed. Then again this morning when found the other guy. Still got 0/0/5-10. Went ahead and did a 50% water change this afternoon anyway. There weren't hardly any symptoms at all. Yesterday in morning everyone was fine. Then the bubble stick then all heck broke loose around 4 yesterday. Coradee said first one looked bloated (see pic at beginning) and it's face was dark. Couldn't keep himself on bottom (back end kept floating up) it died within an hour. Second one starting showing signs very shortly after first death. It was gulping air more than normal. Dark gave like other. Having a tiny bit of trouble staying down but very little. He went in new qt. Bare bottom. Dosed with prime. With media from a different established cycled tank. The one in main tank showed absolutely no signs at 1am when went to bed. It's a 55 gal with 3/4 sand 1/4 smooth gravel. (Which will be going soon) examined everyone and didn't notice anything. All barbels intact and long. No redness. The handful of mixed platy/molly/swordtail fry in there with them are fine. Before the deaths all that was in tank were the 6 cories and fry so unless I got a rogue sudden bully cory I just don't know.

15. OP
    OP
    n

If it helps with timeline... I'm in Ohio. Eastern time zone