Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi
im just a novice to fish keeping , i have 5.5 gallon fish tank i started my tank less then 2 weeks ago as advised by the pet store i put my fish in the tank after 5days , i put 2 platys in the tank because they are hardy fish i know i cud have been more humane if i shud have started with the fishless cycling, well im using interpret filter start as a startup bactertia addtitive well my question im in 2nd week of the cycle and im starting to see nitrites around .1mg , is dat possible i have no ammonia test kits just the nitrites test kit which came with the interpret startup kit , and yea my temp is set to 82 i did cause one my fish was starting to have white spots on the back tail and i did some research that instead of using chemicals its better to set the temp bit high to cure the fish and it did work my fish all good now,

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Deequadri, and welcome to Fish Lore! I believe that having nitrites is entirely possible. If you like, you can follow the link to the nitrogen cycle by clicking on the words nitrogen cycle. It's very helpful. Um, other than that I'm not sure exactly what you're asking because of your typing. Could you please put periods in your text? It makes it much easier to read, and more people will respond if you're really clear about what you're asking. I hope you get the help you need!

OP
D

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thnx for the reply apologies for the the way i wrote the thread . iam asking that is it possible that my tank is in second stage of the cycle that is nitrites , but i have researched that when the nitrogen cycle kick starts im supposed to see some milky water in the tank which is a sign that bacteria is blooming, but that never happened in my tank?? so some advice from experienced fish keepers will be helpful

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.

Yes it is possible for you to be seeing nitrites in the second week. Milky water doesn't always occur IME. More often than not I've had my water stay crystal clear through the entire cycling process.

I do suggest that you invest in an API Master Test Kit. This kit contains tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & PH. They are liquid tests which are much more accurate than paper strip tests & though the kit seems expensive at first, you will be able to run hundreds of each test & monitor your water quality right through the cycling process & for many months to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom