Need Stocking Opinions On 2 Things

1. arvind2205 Member Member

Hello, fish experts,

I recently stocked my 35-gallon outdoor pond with 6 white cloud minnows (2 regular, 4 gold) and 6 cherry barbs. I moved all of the minnows from my 10-gallon to the pond and also bought couple more, and they are all really happy to have all that room and more friends.

- The store is a very highly reputed LFS and I buy all my fish from there, they are the highest quality. I know barbs are warm water species but they suggested the cherry barb is a good choice for coldwater setup as long as they are acclimated slowly to colder weather. The pond is 66 - 70 now, I have a Fluval 300W heater set to 66, rated for 90G, I expect to be keep the pond in winter somewhere in the 50-60 range even if outdoors drops to freezing. Pond is filtered with a large sponge filter + pump rated 60G. It's in a covered patio close to the house and enclosed on 3 sides, so it wont freeze even without the heater.

Anybody have experience with cherry barbs outdoors? Opinions on this?
    Another question, can amano shrimp handle cold water?
    How many more minnows (gold white cloud) can I add to this pond to be reasonably stocked, or am I at capacity already? They are mostly fully grown at 1.5 inches.

- My 10 gallon is rather bare now, I added a couple of small endlers now so the stocking is:
    3 oto, 3 endlers
    2 amano (will probably move them to pond though), 6 RCS, 1 nerite.
    Well planted.

Can I add 5 chili rasbora to this setup? Since the endlers and chili's are so small and tend to stay small (0.5~0.75 inch)

Thanks a ton, in advance.

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Cherry barbs are warm water barbs. Odessa barbs, gold barbs or rosy barbs would be better but I wouldn't keep any of these below 60f

I wouldn't risk amano shrimp below 60f.

Otos and WCMM need 20 gallons minimum.

You could add 8-10 chili rasboras, they really need to be in bigger groups than 5

3. arvind2205 Member Member

Okay, thanks for the response! The WCMM are all in the pond now, which is 35 gallon and 36 inches diameter * 12 inches depth, for sure won't keep them in the 10 anymore. The otos I rescued from Petco, they seem to be happy but I might get a bigger tank soon. Would 8-10 rasboras be okay in addition to current stocking? If not I will just add a couple more endlers and be done :)

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think you'd be fine adding 8 chili rasboras to your current stock.