1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I'd love some super creative people for this one! I've made several posts about this, but I have a better laid out plan this time.
    48 x 12 x 24
    Gravel substrate, average 1/2" wide, 1-3" thick
    Cascade 300, TopFin 20-30 (150gph). Soon to be added: overhead planter/filter 130 gph and either a 600 or 800 gph water pump.
    Stocking: stunted 5" common goldfish, 3 amano, 2 mystery snails.
    Guaranteed addition in the upcoming months: 3-5 hillstream loaches, 6-10 more mystery snails, more amano shrimp.
    Requirements for new additions: must pose zero risk to my goldfish, shrimp, and snails, not be known to eat plants, be able to tolerate temps 65-75, gravel substrate, and high flow.
    Also, I'd like to add some WCMM, but I am concerned my goldfish may try to eat them and choke, mouth ~1/4"
    I'd like a little more activity in my tank, and my nitrates haven't even hit fifty yet, and it's weighing on my plants.
    I'd love suggestions on little oddballs.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about compatibility, but mosquitofish can live in that temp range as well. They get to 3'' which should be too big for the goldfish to eat.

3. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Oh yeah, I forgot about those for a second! It's a wonderful suggestion, but I believe I need a permit to own them in my area, but if they're the best choice, I may just go for it.

4. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I may have to say nevermind to that one, I remembered two other reasons they were an issue for me. They're known to fin nip, and my goldfish has two pretty injured fins fins already, and the males are small enough my fish may try to eat them and choke

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

@Goldiemom just said on another thread that bristlenose and rubbernose plecos are temp compatible with goldfish. If those don't work for you, maybe she'll have other suggestions :)

6. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

The problem with those two plecos included with goldfish is that you need great filters because they are major poopers. As for temp wise rubber and bristle nose are fine from 68-80.

7. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I had been thinking of a BN or rubberlip, but I had heard a few people had issues with the plecos going after the goldfish's slime coat... I know I'm being super picky, I'm sorry about that. I feel I would definitely have the filtration for that, plus I need the nitrates

8. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

That only rarely happens when your pleco mistakes the fish's slime coat for food. Just make sure you feed your pleco the right diet. That will ensure the problem.

9. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I was so paranoid about that too. My plecos don’t bother my Goldie’s at all and I have 2 tanks with them in with Goldie’s. I think a goldie would have to be really stupid to lay there and let any fish do that to them. The plecos can barely swim so all the goldie has to do is swim away.

10. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Wonderful, thank you both! Would a pleco get along with hillstream loaches?
    Would there be a 3" fish, maybe a schooling one, that isn't nippy while also being coldwater? I've come across a couple barbs and tetras, but most everyone says those are nippy. I was kind of thinking Rosy reds, but those seem a bit thin.

11. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Also, are there any smaller plecos other than BN or rubberlip that would work? I have a pretty nice LFS (2 hours away, but still) and they get a lot of different plecos, mainly blue phantom and gold nugget, but every now and then there are some really special ones.