Question Need something to spice up the tank

JJBriant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, so I have been messing with my 29 gallon stocking a bit lately and I think I have it almost where I want it. I have 3 honey Gouramis, 4 male guppies, and 10 neon tetras. Also a nerite snail and some Amano shrimp. I’m just wondering what would be something cool that would stay In the top 3rd of the tank. Everything right now stays mainly in the bottom to middle of the tank even with my tall wisteria and floating hornwort.

I also have a 10 gallon tank with a betta and 5 Glowlight tetras. I was considering combining my 2 tanks into the 29 and then setting up a breeding colony of something in my 10 gallon

Daisytattoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red wag platys would be a colorful option that would hang up top. They are in the bottom in this pic because I just fed them.
8BCF669B-CD4B-42EC-85C9-1B80C7E6AFAF.jpeg

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want a LOT of activity at the top of your tank I don't think you can beat zebra danio's. They are constantly zipping around. They occasionally explore the rest of the tank but spend the majority of their time at the top.

JJBriant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
If you want a LOT of activity at the top of your tank I don't think you can beat zebra danio's. They are constantly zipping around. They occasionally explore the rest of the tank but spend the majority of their time at the top.
Do you think they would stress out the hg?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JJBriant said:
Do you think they would stress out the hg?
I wouldn't think so. They are active but I've never seen them bothering any of my other fish.

JJBriant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I wouldn't think so. They are active but I've never seen them bothering any of my other fish.
I like that idea. I don’t know why, but I was under the impression that their reactivity level would stress the Gouramis out. How many do you think I could get away with?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JJBriant said:
I like that idea. I don’t know why, but I was under the impression that their reactivity level would stress the Gouramis out. How many do you think I could get away with?
I would get no less than 6. They seem to enjoy the company of friends. I can't swear that your Gourami will like the super active fish but I can't see them stressing him out.

JJBriant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
Marbled Hatchetfish? Personal favourite of mine.
Or halfbeaks. Or striped/golden wonder panchax.
I do like the hatchet fish I just have a lot of floating plants so I feel like they wouldn’t have room to be right at the surface like they like

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just googled Marbled Hatchetfish. I had never seen them.

Kinda looks like a pelican but cute :D

JJBriant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I would get no less than 6. They seem to enjoy the company of friends. I can't swear that your Gourami will like the super active fish but I can't see them stressing him out.
Okay I think I’m either going to try the danios or combine my betta and Glowlight with the other fish and turn the 10 gallon into a cherry shrimp colony

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JJBriant said:
I really like killifish but I can never find them and I’m not a big fan of ordering online
I typically don’t buy fish here, but our local Petco (of all places) often has quite a few Golden Wonders available. My “go to” LFS never has them.

I actually added a second one a few weeks ago.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dunk2 said:
Very cool. Can I ask where you got them?
I found them at Big Als (chain fish store). Didn't even know what they were but had to bring some home! I got 2 males, 4 females. The males are the ones with the flashy tails, the females are yellow and brown striped. You never know when you might come across them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom